Gt500 Tsb

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
FYI-there is a TSB on the clutch and associated components. I was getting a 2nd gear grind on my '08. I took it to the dealer for an inspection and was advised of the TSB. My car is going in shortly for the work. I will give Ford credit, the work is extensive and not inexpensive.

Here is a link to the TSB:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14874&st=240&p=489251&#entry489251

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Pretty impressive (to say nothing of thorough) list of replacements in that TSB. Ford ain't messin' around. Anything that coulda gotten "hurt" because of the pblm gets "tossed" in favor of new stuff.

'Works for me! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Tsb

My GT500 is also going to get this update. The only thing I notice, though, is friction noise from the clutch upon engaging with the driver side window down. Flywheel, clutch, input shaft and syncros. Does anyone know if there have been clutch or transmission failures prompting this much work? Some of the parts are presently on back order until February.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
check the Shelby Forums... much chatter about these issues...
Happy New Year!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My GT500 is also going to get this update. The only thing I notice, though, is friction noise from the clutch upon engaging with the driver side window down. Flywheel, clutch, input shaft and syncros. Does anyone know if there have been clutch or transmission failures prompting this much work? Some of the parts are presently on back order until February.

As I understand it, the initial production flywheel that was used in the GT500 was warping in typical stop and go traffic. When warped, the flywheel would not allow the clutch to properly disengage. This, in turn, could potentially damage the syncros. The Ford repair kit contains new syncros, I think, because of the possibility that they could be damaged, not because they are damaged in every case involving a bad flywheel. It seems Ford wanted to resolve the problem right the first time, thus the extensive replacement parts list.

I don't believe there have been any "failures" of the clutches or transmissions if you define a failure to be a completely fried clutch or blown transmission. The problem is indicated by poor engagement, creep and mildly grinding gears.

The friction noise you describe, if occuring when in neutral, is common and apparently inherent in the ceramic twin disk design. I've had the work done to my GT500 with excellent results but the noise persisted.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Clutch chatter.

Gentlemen,

Clutch and flywheel issues have been a problem for GT500 owners from the start of production in 2007 all the way into the 2009 model year. Aware of this I waited to buy a GT500 that was produced after mid-September 2009 that should have the new clutch, flywheel, and whatever else needed to be changed to eliminate this problem. As soon as my car warms up however, it has serious clutch chatter that shakes the entire vehicle when taking off in first gear from a stop. My Shelby currently has 1000 miles on it and I hoped this problem would smooth out in time but it appears to be getting worse. I have an appointment to take it in on January 5 and my local Ford dealer told me to expect my car to be torn down for well over a month because necessary parts are seriously backordered. I asked if they could order parts before I brought my car in so my car wouldn't have to sit outside torn apart for a month. The answer was no as they don't know what they'll need to order until my car is torn down. Bummer. :ack Well it is what it is. I love the car so I just need to get this taken care of.

Chip

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have an early 2007 GT 500 with almost 9000 miles and fortunately had none f the above troubles, but thanks for the head up....

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
I have an 08 Super Snake over here in the UK and my car gets horendous clutch judder and feels like the whole car is going to shake apart.

It's really not on when you think these cars have been in production for a while. You think this would have been sorted by thios time.

Unfortuantely I'm on my own here in the UK unless I want to ship the car back to the US.:confused

gsharapa

Dec 10, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Chip,

You do not need to take your car in and leave it for a month at the dealership torn down. Tell them to order all the parts for the TSB under your vin code ie; flywheel, clutch/pressure plate and transmission parts and when they all arrive to call you to bring it in. It takes a good 8 hours to complete so they should not need the car for more than 2 or 3 days max. You might also want to purchase the KR shifter and have them put it in when they have the trans out. If the dealer gives you a hard time either check with another dealer or ask to talk to their Ford Zone Manager or Field Service Engineer. This is a $ 4000 repair so most dealers would love to do it and if your car is experiencing any of the symtoms they can do the complete repair. You will love the way the car drives and shifts after the repair...........

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
gsharapa, thanks for the advice.

Question though. Will we owners "love the way the car drives and shifts after the repair........." due to all the new TSB replacement parts (i.e. pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel and whatever other parts are recommended by the TSB work) OR the installation of the KR shifter into the GT500?

What is different about the KR shifter that you recommend its inclusion in the upgrade package. Thanks for your comments!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Are any of the 2008 KR cars involved in this TSB? I am eyeballing an '08 KR but would like to avoid the tranny issue if possible. Thanks, AC

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
gsharapa, thanks for the advice.

Question though. Will we owners "love the way the car drives and shifts after the repair........." due to all the new TSB replacement parts (i.e. pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel and whatever other parts are recommended by the TSB work) OR the installation of the KR shifter into the GT500?

What is different about the KR shifter that you recommend its inclusion in the upgrade package. Thanks for your comments!

The KR shifter has a shorter throw. I didn't have it installed when the TSB was performed on my car. Nevertheless, the clutch improved substantially after the TSB was performed and the gear grind was eliminated. There is still some very mild chatter if the clutch is engaged at low RPM but I think this is the nature of the clutch.

frisco

Feb 8, 2008
ByeEnzo (great name) and Sinovac,

I had the KR short-throw and KR shifter installed at the time I had the TSB done on my '08 GT500. I had 3K on the car at that time. Whooo-weee. Not only is the TSB a great improvement, the short-throw and shifter are a joy at every shift. I, for one, can't even remember what the car used to be. Do this - it's worth every cent (and cheap, too-boot.)

Every once in a while, things work out!!!!

frisco

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
08 Kr

Are any of the 2008 KR cars involved in this TSB? I am eyeballing an '08 KR but would like to avoid the tranny issue if possible. Thanks, AC

ByeEnzo,

Go for it.
You wont regret it.
This is one bad Mustang!!!
If the tranny has an issue it can be fixed.
Or you could get an 09 like Chip did.

Darin:cheers

Last edited:

gsharapa

Dec 10, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Chip

The TSB repair makes the difference with or without adding the KR shift linkage. The KR shift linkage just makes for tight accurate shifts (much shorter) especialy when your on it. Worth the trip......:banana

gsharapa

Dec 10, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Chip

Did you get the TSB done?

The TSB really makes a huge difference in the way the clutch operates......in fact the way I would of expected it originally. I never could get use to it prior to the TSB. I had the shifter and loose gates also but the KR shifter is tight with short throws..........I also have the Ford Perf chrome stick and white ball on it. KR shifter will work with your stock stick and leather shfter if you want retain that. Drive someones car that had this done and you won't be able to get your in fast enough to get it done.........WOW!:banana

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Let's See

I called my local dealer to see if they would order the parts prior to me binging the car in as someone else suggested. They said I would have to bring the car in for them to drive and see if it displays the symptoms the TSB is to address. And thus would not launch until they determine the car "needs" the TSB replacement parts.
Have not taken the car in yet. Waiting for better weather...

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Tsb

McCoy Ford here in Muncie ordered the transmission and clutch parts for this TSB in November for my GT500. They showed up last week and were installed. I noticed that the old flywheel was worn but the clutch friction surfaces looked ok. The new flywheel was obviously different. The input shaft and syncros looked exactly the same as the old ones. I also had the KR shifter fitted. The clutch and syncro action is fine, although there was nothing really wrong before. KR shifting is vastly improved.

-GWB

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Gary!
I will take it to Capitol to see what they think. Plan B would be to head up your way.....