Blemishes on Horn Button

MorningFlight

Ford GT Owner
May 6, 2007
Rochester, NY
This is how the horn button on my 2006 GT looked as far back as I can remember. My explanation always was, "yeah guys, I'm gonna take off the plastic when I get 'round to it." Well, today was the day. After peeling off the protective blue plastic from the door sills, the horn button was next on the list. Except, apparently, no plastic!

If Ford did cover the button, I have no idea how to get the film off without scratching the surface of the button. Even looked at the edges with a magnifier. Last resort, check with the Ford dealer who sold me the car and order a replacement under warranty. Thought I'd check here first, though, before I make myself look stupid.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• GTHornButton.jpg
    GTHornButton.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 693

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Ugh. That is not normal... I'd have it replaced as well. rust me, you are not going to look stupid...

H

HHGT

I have the same thing on my Heritage and it has 100 miles on her.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The whole air bag will get replaced under warranty as I had this done months ago. There are also other threads on this subject just do a search.:thumbsup

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Same with both of mine.

I hate to think of haveing to change airbags and stuff.The less ford needs
to have it the better i feel.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
No big deal, but airbag will HAVE to be replaced. Its really a simple process. Old one pops out, new one pops in. Whats happening is the buttons are DELAMINATING. Sorry, but its not a plastic film. That would be too easy! :bored

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The unit has been replaced under warranty twice on my car. What a waste of (Ford) money!

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
The whole air bag will get replaced under warranty as I had this done months ago. There are also other threads on this subject just do a search.:thumbsup

I thought someone on an earlier thread said the Ford GT button could be purchased separately so airbag replacement was not necessary. :ack

DGCA

*Supporting Vendor*
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2007
Southern California
I had the identical issue with my horn button, took it into dealership and a week later the new parts arrived. Took the GT in yesterday and one hour later new air bag and button good as new! You will have no problem getting the problem corrected at your local dealership.

azcarguy

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 23, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I have an 05 car and have the same issue and it will be replaced (under warranty) next week. PITA but at least it's on their dime!

Maybe this is the next project for those crazy parts guys on this board:wink

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
yep warranty item. I just did mine last month. We probably need to look at a more permanent fix for this.... Shadow?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I hope Ford will issue a TSB on this, should this happen after the warranty expires you'd be covered.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I had the identical issue with my horn button, took it into dealership and a week later the new parts arrived. Took the GT in yesterday and one hour later new air bag and button good as new! You will have no problem getting the problem corrected at your local dealership.

Which dealer?

DGCA

*Supporting Vendor*
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2007
Southern California
I took mine to Capistrano Ford located in the Costco Plaza 33949 Camino Capistrano in San Juan. Ask for Lou DeMarco in service and his direct line is 949-487-3026. They did a great job on getting mine taken care of very quickly.

MorningFlight

Ford GT Owner
May 6, 2007
Rochester, NY
Thanks guys, for all the help. Since delaminating horn buttons seem to be a recurring problem on the GT, I think I'll wait with the repair until just before the warranty runs out. Maybe by then, Ford will have a better handle on it. Or else, they'll have run out of horn buttons!

Appreciate the hint, pe2unia. I had done a search for "horn button", but all it got me was this: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6903&highlight=horn+button

If ACRJoe is listening in, you can stop blaming the window cleaner.

ACRJoe said:
I believe I accidently got some window cleaner on the horn button which ruined the emblem.

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Thanks for letting us know about these significant defects.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
If ACRJoe is listening in, you can stop blaming the window cleaner.
I'm listening ..... thanks!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks guys, for all the help. Since delaminating horn buttons seem to be a recurring problem on the GT, I think I'll wait with the repair until just before the warranty runs out. Maybe by then, Ford will have a better handle on it. Or else, they'll have run out of horn buttons!

Appreciate the hint, pe2unia. I had done a search for "horn button", but all it got me was this: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6903&highlight=horn+button

Yes MorningFlight I also had a hard time finding any threads but I did find this one as it is pretty old and weak. Good Luck:thumbsup

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7652

JWL

GT Owner
Sep 24, 2008
Newcastle, CA
This is how the horn button on my 2006 GT looked as far back as I can remember.......... Last resort, check with the Ford dealer who sold me the car and order a replacement under warranty. Thought I'd check here first, though, before I make myself look stupid.

Any ideas?

It's not that uncommon, covered under warranty, and an easy fix at home (if you don't want the dealer working on your car). I did mine last night and it took about 30 minutes start to finish (doing it per the FoMoCo instructions).

Last edited:

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
I have the same problem with my 2006 ......AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE CENTER CAPS ON MY STANDARD WHEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!