A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum Rally

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
So there we were, minding our own business - sightseeing at Hoover Dam on the way to Rally III, when a guy walked up to us and asked, "What kind of car is that? A whole bunch of them blew right past us coming out of Kingman!" We told him we were part of a group of about 25 Ford GTs traveling together from Phoenix to Las Vegas for a rally, and that 100+ GTs would be at Mandalay Bay for the next several days. He responded that he has his own 150-car collection. We all chuckled to ourselves at first, thinking he was either pulling out legs or blowing smoke. It's a good thing we had the video camera in hand and got it fired up right away - what a hoot!

http://vimeo.com/1890791
[video=vimeo;1890791]http://vimeo.com/1890791[/video]

Besides Uncle Phil and his "nurse," the supporting cast are Team Jeff, AZStad (Shane) and his friend Dan, Mrs. GT38 (behind the camera), and yours truly. My daughter Jane, who some of you met at Tim Cantwell's party before the Rally, edited the video clip.

Turn up the volume and enjoy! :cheers

Last edited:

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Interesting. Ya just never know who you're gonna meet out there. The Maloof family owns several sports teams and Vegas Hotels. Ol fella didnt do too bad for himself looks like.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What a character! He's down right okay in my book!!! (Sumbuddy needs to inform him he should be a little less free with his home address & phone # though!:eek)

Fun vid! Thanks!

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
What a character! He's down right okay in my book!!! (Sumbuddy needs to inform him he should be a little less free with his home address & phone # though!:eek)

Fun vid! Thanks!

In context in the unedited video, Phil had invited us to his house (only after checking to see who we were voting for president, though! :thumbsup), and wanted to make sure we had all the info correct.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
It's a shame you couldn't get him to break out of his shell :biggrin

These cars attract attention from everyone.

Thanks for sharing.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Great video and what a hoot! I just love meeting people like that and listening to them go!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
When I clicked on the video to play it, I got "This video no longer exists."

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup Anyone actually going to check out the collection of cars...or organs? :biggrin

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
When I clicked on the video to play it, I got "This video no longer exists."

I just linked to it - don't know what happened. Try it again.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
wow:eek you guys hit the mother load! very interesting! did you go to his house?

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
that is really incredible!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
That's really cool !

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
wow:eek you guys hit the mother load! very interesting! did you go to his house?

Unfortunately no. Based on the intensity of our Hoover Dam chat we figured we'd need at least a half-day to do it justice, but we didn't want to cut out any rally activities. We'll plan a trip back to Vegas in the future and build a visit into the schedule. I did locate his house on Google Earth (using the address in the uncensored video!), and he really does have nine storage buildings for his car collection like he said. In case you didn't catch his web address on the video, you can see a few of his cars (and get a pipe organ serenade) at http://www.unclephilmaloof.com/

There were SO many interesting and funny comments he made that aren't in this clip - both on and off camera. Several times he said, "The secret to my success and my happiness is no wives, and no kids!" Whatever the reason, it's obvious that he enjoys life to the fullest! :cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Great story!! How cool was that?!!

Many years ago when driving my Lotus home from an all british field meet, I met an old fella who was equally gregarious. He's since passed on, but he loved Rolls' and Bentley's. Had a collection that was amazing, right here in Alberta. He always ended up getting more because he couldn't bear to see them neglected. Restored them all himself. Really cool old cat, and this video just reminded me of him. Didn't see him often, but I miss him.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
[I said:
"The secret to my success and my happiness is no wives, and no kids!"[/I] Whatever the reason, it's obvious that he enjoys life to the fullest! :cheers

should we start another thread?:lol

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Other Uncle Phil-isms:

Marrying a girl is like buying a new Rolls Royce. The day you get it it is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen, but from that point forward all it does is get older and older, and wear out more and more each day, and you have to keep feeding it gas and oil and paying for maintenence.

When you're dating a girl you see her new hairdo and her new dress and you think 'God how beautiful she is!' After you marry her you see all that and wonder 'how much did all that cost me?'

There are three rings that come with a marriage: The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffer-ring!

Phil's collection these days is small compared to what he had back in the day in Albuquerque. Now he is focused on Deusenbergs and other megabucks cars. I'll post a few pics of his compound in Vegas.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Uncle_Phil0026_1.jpg

Uncle_Phil0021_1.jpg

Uncle_Phil0022_1.jpg

Uncle_Phil0008_1.jpg

roketman

GT Owner