Steering Wheel Center Pitting

H

HHGT

I tried the search button first. I remember someone posting something about the steering wheel center chrome pitting. It feels smooth to the touch as if the discoloration/pitting is under the surface. Is the center cap replaceable or does the whole wheel need to come off?:ack

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Its a PLASTIC coating over like a metal looking sticker. Very common for them to DELAMINATE. Yes, it can be replaced by itself....

H

HHGT

Its a PLASTIC coating over like a metal looking sticker. Very common for them to DELAMINATE. Yes, it can be replaced by itself....

Thanks Shelby. Does it happen mostly to stored cars? Is it the heat? Humidity? Democraps?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
It isnt really consistant. Just happens on random cars. I have had it on delivery mile cars that have been stored in a climate controlled warehouse and I have had it on daily drivers. Dont really know why or how...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I thought the whole airbag assembly had to to be replaced?

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
How is the cap removed?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Crowbar?

Seen GT owners replacing the whole Airbag unit to deal with the issue.

Know of the car next in line to mine through Wixom that had the unit replaced while mine is OK

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006

How can we obtain the center button?Can we order it from you?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I've been down this road twice; the first time at zero miles. I've investigated this issue thoroughly and I can state with complete confidence that the center cap CANNOT be obtained/replaced separately; the entire airbag assembly must be replaced. The cause of the problem is unknown!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have the same problem. I thought it may have just been abuse byt he previous owner. Glad to hear it is a warranty item.

...off to the Ford dealer.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wish the the GT40 cap that was designed for the harness package would be adaptable for the center hub. I have the same condition on mine.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
While I do know that we can get the center cap OFF the steering wheel, I have not investigated as to if we can order the button seperate. I will do some investigating and see what I come up with.....

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
While I do know that we can get the center cap OFF the steering wheel, I have not investigated as to if we can order the button seperate. I will do some investigating and see what I come up with.....

Sounds like a shadowman opportunity! Thankfully my car looks good but i have seen this on a few GTs. If someone has a fix I'll order one...hopefully i'll never need to use it, but I guess it would make a good coaster! :biggrin

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
when I have had cars with this I have to get the complete air bag. It happens with alot of Fords not just the GT. Superduty does it with the Ford oval and some others. Ford has never made just the bag emblems available seperate. I don't think they want people using any glues or adhesives on the bag cover or people pulling the old emblems off.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I still have not confirmed as to if the emblems are available seperate, but I can confirm that the emblem can be removed without alot of work. The only trick is there are three RIVETS that hold the cover over the airbag which you have to remove and re-rivet, but we just did it in a matter of about 30 mins. Now, are replacement emblems available???!!! :willy

Aug 25, 2006
I have dealt with this issue on several marquees over the years and every one required an airbag replacement. When I researched it further because to me it seemed to be an extreme measure I was informed that the associated liability if the airbag were to go off is significant and then compound this with a button of sorts being a potential flying piece of debris no one sold them separately.

I would speculate that this is why many have embossing rather than an inlaid piece.

Now I know of one Forum member that already took matters into his own hands and created a cool retro looking decal that fits perfectly and now appears as if from days gone past; this would be Ed Simms

Takes care

Shadowman

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If we can get the buttons, then we are good. The piece as I said is a piece of cake to change (atleast it is for us). I would think there would have to be a source for this SOMEWHERE...... :confused

Because of the fact that MANY of the gals are getting OUT OF WARRANTY, I know that 99% of those people are NOT gonna want to purchase and entire airbag to fix such a simple problem.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have dealt with this issue on several marquees over the years and every one required an airbag replacement. When I researched it further because to me it seemed to be an extreme measure I was informed that the associated liability if the airbag were to go off is significant and then compound this with a button of sorts being a potential flying piece of debris no one sold them separately.

I would speculate that this is why many have embossing rather than an inlaid piece.

Now I know of one Forum member that already took matters into his own hands and created a cool retro looking decal that fits perfectly and now appears as if from days gone past; this would be Ed Simms

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks Bill,.......hello Ed:wink

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
If we can get the buttons, then we are good. The piece as I said is a piece of cake to change (atleast it is for us). I would think there would have to be a source for this SOMEWHERE...... :confused

Because of the fact that MANY of the gals are getting OUT OF WARRANTY, I know that 99% of those people are NOT gonna want to purchase and entire airbag to fix such a simple problem.

You got that right. Where's the carbon fiber guys??

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
a cf piece would be stunning... hello Kip!