FUEL FILLER CHANGED wo/REMOVING FENDER

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I start a thread earlier about the P0455 code http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11327 and just got back from the dealer.

For any of us who have thrown a P0455 code for Evap Cntr failure the fix is the changing of the fuel filler unit typically due to a bad "flapper" valve.

In the Ford repair instructions they say to 1.) remove fender liner, 2.) remove fender, 3.) remove gas cap lever and assy THEN 4.) remove the three screws to remove the unit.

When the mechanic and I looked at the fuel filler part after removal of the fender liner against the new replacement part it became obvious that the top piece is plastic for the first shutter door or serated gas nozzle door is attached to the aluminum fuel filler tube via two screws of which upon removal you can slide the plastic piece off.

When you look under the fender you can see the two screws that hold the top plastic piece to the fuel filler neck

screwsincar.jpg

If you remove these 2 screws ......

newbeforescrews.jpg

you can slide the filler tube off the plastic top piece while it is still mounted in the car!

newpartbeinginstalled-4.jpg

then remove the top plastic shutter from the new replacement part

newpart2.jpg

and here is that damn valve that rips so easily - GOOD SHOWN BELOW! [new]

Good.jpg

and the old DEFINTELY BROKEN PIECE OF CRAP PART!

old_bad.jpg

The other part required removal of the "trunk" to get to the clap that connects the fuel filler tube to the gas tank which at that time you can remove the old broken part and in reverse slip in the new repalcement part, connect the vacumn line, reattach to gas tank, reinstall trunk and finally re-install fender liner!

We then ran the full diagnostics EVAP cycle which showed 100% pass - ZERO loss meaning fix was good! Then we did an oil change and checked the trans magnetics, topped off the transfluid buttoned her back up and went for a Sushi lunch in Fuquay- Varina North Carolina!

Not a single flucuation in the RPM's at all when coming to a stop! No more stalling! PERFECTLY SMOOOOOOOTH NOW!

So yes Virginia, you can change the fuel filler tuber without removal of the fender.

Now a Happy GT owner going drinking :cheers :thumbsup

Happy 4th everybody

Last edited:

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
thats good to know. I just hope I never have to do it!

Thanks for the post.....have a drink on me! :cheers

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Good job buddy!!

I bet you are enjoying your 4th now. :thumbsup

H

HHGT

This is the sort of thing that makes Americans who they are.
Don't tell us that there is only one way,
Don't tell us that it can't be done,
Don't tell us not to explore alternatives...
When we're challenged we Rise and rise you did buddy...

Great job and a wonderful post:thumbsup:thumbsup:cheers:cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Good job, M.D.!

Now, yer NEXT assignment is to 'git' bizzy & find a surefire way fer us commoners to replace the windshield ourselves w/o removing the front fenders! :lol :cheers :thumbsup

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
M.D., how did you remove the two screws that hold the plastic assembly on to the aluminum tube? I do not believe that you can get at those screws from on top of the fender? pd

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
M.D., how did you remove the two screws that hold the plastic assembly on to the aluminum tube? I do not believe that you can get at those screws from on top of the fender? pd

small wrench will fit as there is a 1- 1.5" gap between the top of the fender where the plastic piece mounts to the screw mounting tho the filler tube itself.

if you look at the second picture it shows wo screws.... took !~ 2 minutes to get both out

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Nice !!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mike is the Shadow of the Carolinas

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I will have to start calling you "GLAD IN NC" :bow instead of MAD IN NC.:cheers

Good Job Mike.:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I for one hope I dont have to go tru this, but its really good to know the fender doesnt have to come off. At least now it doesnt seem to be as bad as once thought. thank you for sharing.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Cliff Notes: Can do this w/out fender off?

Aug 25, 2006
Great post

My only concern would have been the fact that there is a flimsy sponge style gasket in-between the plastic and the aluminum however it appears to have survived the process.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Great post

My only concern would have been the fact that there is a gasket cheezy in-between the plastic and the aluminum however it appears to have survived the process.

Takes care

Shadowman

Mmmm Cheezy, Ahh time to eat sorry :biggrin

M

Mark O

Pulling the fender's half the fun though! :lol

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
When you say you took the trunk out, what piece are you talking about specifically?

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Great post

My only concern would have been the fact that there is a flimsy sponge style gasket in-between the plastic and the aluminum however it appears to have survived the process.

Takes care

Shadowman

Instead of that flimsy gasket could silicone have been used in its place for a more permanent fix? or is the problem actually the inside the neck itself in the sliding plastic sealer that you show in another picture?

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I see your picture taking capabilities have not improved (just like the picture you took of me and Shelby).

I think you guys are missing the point. Getting the fender off is no big problem. THE big problem is getting the fender liner off and out. Once that PITA is done the rest is easy.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think you guys are missing the point. Getting the fender off is no big problem. THE big problem is getting the fender liner off and out. Once that PITA is done the rest is easy.

It is nothing for someone skilled with the scalpel.

Prevention????

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? Maybe the way we insert the gas pump into the filler tube? I'm concerned that it will just happen again.

My GT is scheduled for filler tube replacement on Monday 7/7 at Galpin under warranty. I printed out the procedure for doing it without removing the fender. I will let you know if the Galpin tech is open to using this procedure. They have been great so far, so I am hopeful of more of the same.

But again: Does anyone know how to prevent it?

Thanks, Tim GT374