HELP! P0455 Code...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
came up twice now. I cleared it both times with the SCT handheld.

States "Evaporative Control Gross Fail"

Anybody knows what this means?:ack

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Maybe the first step is to check your gas inlet. Make sure it sealing. Sounds like the infamous filler tube. On most cars the first check is loose gas cap.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I second what paul b said. ECU wants to "see" a closed fuel supply system and something is preventing this. Make sure that the little plastic piece that slides back and forth to insert the fuel nozzle is in its fully closed position.

Aug 25, 2006
Typically this is the indication that the filler neck assembly will require replacement

Takes care

Shadowman

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Well after looking at other post from Shadownman, Analog et all I took a light and a finger to check out the filler neck and "lo and behold" - the damn flapper valve if gone! It's on the bottom of the neck just floating around - loose as can be. Was not able to pull it out - but yes the problem is known!

Now - how to stop this for the next 30 years.....

Do I sense an "axle bolt thread coming up"?

11.9k miles and going to dealer to have right front fender pulled! :ack

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The filler cap in novel design and the Ford GT is the first application of such a cap. The cap has proven itself to be less than robust and unlikely to last anywhere as long as a standard gas cap. I think this problem will be with us for a long time, unless someone 3rd party designs a replacement part. I hope this happens, since the thought of pulling the fender every few years is not appealing to me. A prominent forum member that has mentioned a new cap design is on his list of things to do. We can only hope that a solution arrives before we need to change the part out. Note that the error code can be avoided by modifying the tune to turn off the purge test and error code. However this is only a test procedure since that would violate EPA regulations and none of us would ever do that.

Maybe this will be the hot topic during Rally III, since the axle problem has been resolved and everyone needs a new topic to Hillary about.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Note that the error code can be avoided by modifying the tune to turn off the purge test and error code. However this is only a test procedure since that would violate EPA regulations and none of us would ever do that.

Maybe this will be the hot topic during Rally III, since the axle problem has been resolved and everyone needs a new topic to Hillary about.

Fell free to raise the flag as it still looks bad for me to be in Vegas and Europe at the same time....

Re: error code elimination - it still won't stop the stalling many are experiencing, or will it by elimination of the "cycle"?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Fell free to raise the flag as it still looks bad for me to be in Vegas and Europe at the same time....

Re: error code elimination - it still won't stop the stalling many are experiencing, or will it by elimination of the "cycle"?

I believe eliminating the test cycle will stop the stalling, but I don't have any 1st hand experience.

Aug 25, 2006

Dare I say; yes if the purge system is disabled then the error code/light and the idle/stalling issue is gone.

This practice would be solicited for track going gals only.

As for an alternate design; Jay aka GT Saver and I have been discussing this issue for many months and the goal is to be able to retrofit a upper neck assembly that uses a typical o-ring sealed filler cap. No we are not there yet however I see this as a needed item over time.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Jay aka GT Saver and I have been discussing this issue for many months and the goal is to be able to retrofit a upper neck assembly that uses a typical o-ring sealed filler cap. No we are not there yet however I see this as a needed item over time.

Takes care

Shadowman

Shadowman - You need a guniea pig? Where do I send the $ deposit to?

Just thinking about all the effort that has to be surgically performed for a .10c spring and $1 flapper valve makes me sick!

Keep em coming, please - keep em' coming! :cheers

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Hate to admit it.

The gas cap on the '08 Viper blows ours away.

Machined piece of beauty

see last pic

http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/1335/photos/120576#05.jpg

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kay, those Viper pics are so hot :)
OK, Bill, according to Mrs. Bony most of my driving is off the road,... so... lets discuss further...:)

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Just 2 cents, but it could also be the different pumps around the country. In n.y you have a vacuum nozzle , where i notice down south you guys dont have the vapor retieval nozzle, can it be your pushing the nozzle to deep. IM GETTING THE FEELING RIGHT NOW MAD IS ON ANOTHER SUBJECT :biggrin. Anywho after the large nozzle in the small hole:biggrin do you think its breaking the seal. THIS DOESNT SOUND GOOD AT ALL. Goodnite guys its past my bed time.......:lolGTJOEY 1314 PUTTING IT IN NICE AND SLOW SEE, THATS THE WAY TO DO IT..........:thumbsup

H

HHGT

Just 2 cents, but it could also be the different pumps around the country. In n.y you have a vacuum nozzle , where i notice down south you guys dont have the vapor retieval nozzle, can it be your pushing the nozzle to deep. IM GETTING THE FEELING RIGHT NOW MAD IS ON ANOTHER SUBJECT :biggrin. Anywho after the large nozzle in the small hole:biggrin do you think its breaking the seal. THIS DOESNT SOUND GOOD AT ALL. Goodnite guys its past my bed time.......:lolGTJOEY 1314 PUTTING IT IN NICE AND SLOW SEE, THATS THE WAY TO DO IT..........:thumbsup

I push my large nozzle deep in the small hole all the time and never have a problem. :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Hot DAMN!! Another brain fart, lets bring in the team members and beat the crap out of them like some folks did last year,... do you really think they are such masochists? What an opportunity was blown last year, sadly, I decided to go off with buds for dinner instead of moderating...:bs

Aug 25, 2006
Bony; BTW my gal was designated for off road use long ago.

However I also keep a spare fuel filler assembly on my shelf at all times because I have gals that are not visit me from time to time.

Now back on topic; I feel that a traditional style cap can be integrated which will solve all of the concerns forever and still allow the gals to be used on the highways when the need/desire arises. IMO without such a tweak or a revamp by Ford which simply will not happen the replacing of the assemblies over time will continue.

I shared over a year ago that once the gals come out of storage and are actually driven this will become an issue for some. Now for those that have dodged the proverbial bullet feel blessed because for some more than one has been replaced.

I have a couple old filler assemblies and have been looking at various options; what I need is simply a bit more time to work the process through.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Hot DAMN!! Another brain fart, lets bring in the team members and beat the crap out of them like some folks did last year,... do you really think they are such masochists? What an opportunity was blown last year, sadly, I decided to go off with buds for dinner instead of moderating...:bs

This is IMO is "NOT" a half-shaft bolt issue .............................. and I too prefer that it not be a topic at Rally III.

Takes care

Shadowman

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
The filler cap in novel design and the Ford GT is the first application of such a cap. The cap has proven itself to be less than robust and unlikely to last anywhere as long as a standard gas cap. I think this problem will be with us for a long time, unless someone 3rd party designs a replacement part. I hope this happens, since the thought of pulling the fender every few years is not appealing to me. A prominent forum member that has mentioned a new cap design is on his list of things to do. We can only hope that a solution arrives before we need to change the part out. Note that the error code can be avoided by modifying the tune to turn off the purge test and error code. However this is only a test procedure since that would violate EPA regulations and none of us would ever do that.

Guys,

Our GT's may have been the first to incorporate Ford's "Capless System", but it sure seems that Ford is planning on building more vehicles with similar fill systems :eek (see attached addresses).
I can only hope that the shortcomings (failures) experienced by some of the forum members will have been addressed by Ford before more vehicles incorporate this design. As can be seen in the video and clip below, there are many further applications of this technology coming. :willy It's interesting to note that within the demonstration video (first address below) the fuel nozzle did NOT have the "sheathed vacuum nozzle" now found in many states. :ack

http://blip.tv/file/383816/?skin=popup&file_type=flv

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-deploy-capless-fuel-filler-across-model-line.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/2060810.002/ford-capless-fuel-filler

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22688959/

JCE-GT (Tungsten - 0187)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great post...

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
...the Viper cap wouldn't work on the GT??