FJP pussys out

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, so this weekend I went to a driving school at Gateway Raceway in Madison, IL (St. Louis). NASCAR track with infield road coarse. I've never done anything like this before. Had four 20 minute sessions scheduled. Very dangerous track with no room for error as there are walls everywhere. First one went fine but slow. Ran on about 1/3 of the NASCAR high banked track and the long straightaway. Second session I went much faster, but others on the track (driving old Mustangs, TransAms, etc) had me worried. Hit 110 on the straight, but instructor wanted me in third the whole time. I did not drive like an idiot, did not push the car hard or the brakes. Instructor then took me out in his Z06 Vette, but had to wait 20 minutes in hot sun in driving gear and black car. Did 4 laps with him and got motion sickness (new to me). Did my third session but didn't finish due to nausea. Did not do the fourth session (disgression is the better part of valor). Still felt bad driving home later. Car handled much better than expected on stock tires and in stock form. Belts and helmet were a new experience (thanks Ed Sims, SafeCraft and Livermore). My hat is off to guys that do this on a regular basis. Next time I'll know better.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
OK, so this weekend I went to a driving school at Gateway Raceway in Madison, IL (St. Louis). NASCAR track with infield road coarse. I've never done anything like this before. Had four 20 minute sessions scheduled. Very dangerous track with no room for error as there are walls everywhere. First one went fine but slow. Ran on about 1/3 of the NASCAR high banked track and the long straightaway. Second session I went much faster, but others on the track (driving old Mustangs, TransAms, etc) had me worried. Hit 110 on the straight, but instructor wanted me in third the whole time. I did not drive like an idiot, did not push the car hard or the brakes. Instructor then took me out in his Z06 Vette, but had to wait 20 minutes in hot sun in driving gear and black car. Did 4 laps with him and got motion sickness (new to me). Did my third session but didn't finish due to nausea. Did not do the fourth session (disgression is the better part of valor). Still felt bad driving home later. Car handled much better than expected on stock tires and in stock form. Belts and helmet were a new experience (thanks Ed Sims, SafeCraft and Livermore). My hat is off to guys that do this on a regular basis. Next time I'll know better.

At least you're honest... And I'm not surprised by the title of your post..:biggrin

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Golly Frank sorry to hear of your "not so good" experience at the track in your GT.

I'm hopeful, for you, that it was just a big case of first time on the track nerves. Motion sickness stays with you for a while. Good that you recognised it was not "your day" and played it safe.

As Stormcat said - your report was honest.:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks for being so candid, also saw your post in the protected section for lifers...

Always wonder why they have schools on tracks that have no forgiveness factor?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
the key to not getting motion sickness is to use your vision look as far ahead as you can see .

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'm going to have my first track experience this weekend at Watkins Glen. I'm an absolute coward when it comes to my GT. I'll probably not get anywhere near its limits.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
GT is a road car - not a Nascar....

Frank - we needs a heads up display with Bony's Avatar projecting :thumbsup

That will keep ya focused Doc!

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Let me know when you have your next session, and I'll send you some Phenergan to premedicate with. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
('Wish we'd had THAT stuff while 'sailing' the South China Sea.)

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Frank

send me a pm and maybe we can get you out to a more forgiving track in a few weeks. Once the stress of not worrying about hitting a wall is removed your stomach should calm down.

Meds make you groggy ...... its better to just hurl and get it over with. :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well, you guys have been more understanding than I ever thought (ha, ha). I really think it was more heat related after sitting in the sun so long, fully dressed with helmet on. I also had to get up at5:30 AM, about as rare as a blue moon for me. Guess I need to learn to eat something for breakfast to keep the blood sugar up. Road America first weekend in August, better to stretch the cars legs. Autobahn in Joliet is also coming up. IndyGT, they're doing Putnam soon FYI. I also read that this seems to be a common occurence when the student does not have a steering wheel to hold on to. Live and learn.

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
I felt the same way my first time out, you get use to it as go. The heat has big part in it too. Good Luck on the othe runs.

Mg

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I also had to get up at5:30 AM, about as rare as a blue moon for me. ..........Live and learn.

Hell - we don't leave the bars till then...... This the new Frank:eek?

Fred, we need somebody else to pick on.................:thumbsup

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I rarely brake 65mph

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Keep some Coca-Cola around! Someone suggested this to me after getting sick shooting video of an off-road race from a hot helicopter :ack Works great and won't make you groggy!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
It's a lot easier to drive on track than to ride as a passenger. I've done a lot of track time in my GT at our local track (Motorsports Ranch). Got little queasy once while riding shotgun with an instructor driving. Only other time I got sick was when I didn't eat enough breakfast. Did 3 half hr sessions back to back in my Caterham and got out of the car feeling like I was gonna barf. A Coke cured that quickly. I'm rigging up a Cool suit system for both the GT and the Caterham as I think Texas heat can be brutal. You get dehydrated in a full nomex race suit and the mistakes and bobbles add up quickly. As for the design of the track...ours has no concrete walls to speak of with lots of run off area. Ideal to learn on with less risk of jacking up a 6 figure supercar. If and when I go to a track with walls or Armco...I'll probably use my unregistered, uninsured, non-street legal track beater (Caterham Superlite R-500).

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
No Pussy

fjpikul - You didn't pussy out! You drove your GT on the track! Awesome. Very few GT owners will ever do that. I will never go as a passenger on a road track. I did once long ago at Laguna and made the diver pull into the pits after one lap to let me out! I was ready to blow! You rock Frankenstein

Ed

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
FJP,

Even experienced astronauts deal with motion sickness. Yes, you do get used to it on the track as MGO427 says. Based on a few decades of participation in various nausea-inducing activities, here are some suggestions to speed the process.

REST: Prep for track day can result in inadequate sleep the night before. Being tired sets your body up to respond poorly to what you will experience. I’ve taken a cat-nap between runs when I’ve felt more tired than normal, but often that isn’t possible.

NUTRITION: Eating breakfast is usually the last thing on my mind when I wake up on track day, but I know the day will go better if I do. Don’t skip lunch, either. Staying hydrated is extremely important. This is insidious because you can become dehydrated at the track even on a cool day and not realize it. Sports drinks with electrolytes are better than water. Skip alcohol for 24 hours before. Carbonated drinks can dehydrate you. However, as Team Jeff said, Coke works great for nausea – I was there for the incident he described and it’s true. Also good is Ginger Ale or anything with ginger in it – it’s an old natural remedy.

MEDICATION: After being bulletproof until just a few years ago, sometimes I need Advil to take the edge off of back pain, but I won’t take it on track day. Maybe it doesn’t matter, but I just want to eliminate that from the mix.

HEAT: Too much heat is bad for your car, and it’s really bad for your body. It’s critical to get all the ventilation you can, preferably (at least for me) with lots of it directed to your face and head. Remember that your helmet is restricting cooling to the one part of your body that’s controlling the rest of it. Heat has a cumulative debilitating effect. You’ll be able to better deal with the heat for 30 minutes at a time inside the car if you can stay as cool and comfortable as possible for the many hours at the track you’re outside the car.

ACTIVITY: It is not surprising that things got worse when you rode with your instructor. If you are busy, you are less likely to have a problem. It’s not the pilot who gets airsick, it’s the passengers. Roketman’s advice to look out far ahead is excellent and effective. Don’t move your head unnecessarily or the semicircular canals in your ears will go nuts, and then it’s all over but the cleanup.

STRESS: You were in an unfamiliar situation and were expected to learn and perform a new task, with the whole world watching (or at least it seemed that way). You were exposing your six-figure car to a couple of dozen other drivers who you probably didn’t even know, let alone trust. These kinds of things induce stress and anxiety, which makes motion sickness more likely. The opening statement of my first track instructor was, “Nothing you do today is going to make your car more valuable.” Fortunately, I ran a few track days in a couple of other cars before I bought my GT (which I tracked three days after it arrived) so I knew what to expect. I would have had much more stress if my first track day had been in the GT. I’d take DPGT up on his track offer.

VISUALIZATION: I try to play a mental video in my mind of what I’m going to be doing. If it’s something I’ve never done, the mental video may not be accurate but somehow it still seems to get my brain wired up for what sensory inputs to expect – even non-visual sensations like g-forces, temperature, and control feedback. I try to start thinking in these terms a few days before. When I actually do it, then the sensations aren’t exactly new. My brain knows that this scenario is “normal” and doesn’t react adversely. It sounds a little corny, but it works for me.

PREVENTIVE DEVICES: Some people have good success with the elastic wrist bands. My wife frequently experienced motion sickness; the bands did nothing for her and every over-the-counter motion sickness medicine actually made her worse. She then tried the electronic nerve stimulation band, and it worked as advertised. She used it successfully a few times, and now she rarely needs it. I don’t know why – maybe it speeds up the “getting used to it” process. Here’s the one we used: http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=11450

You did the right thing to sit out the rest of the day when you recognized the problem. Some long-forgotten sage said to me early in my flying career, “It’s better to be down here wishing you were up there, than to be up there wishing you were down here!” The same thing goes for the track. I hope you give it another go – you’ll be glad you did!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Boy, I am certainly glad this thread came up. I'm going on my first track experience this Sunday coming up. Thank you everyone for the info.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wow, even the pundits have been sincere. Thanks for the nice words of encouragement guys. Me? Alcohol? Ha, ha, ha. I'm looking forward to a next event. Steve, let me know what you have in mind.