ClearPlex windshield film failed me... or did it?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I bought the ClearPlex from Trent/4N a few years ago, but only got around to having somebody install it for me a couple of weeks ago. I took the car out for a quick spin yesterday morning, and a big truck threw a rock at me, down low on the drivers side of the windshield. Looks to me like it pierced the ClearPlex and injured the glass. There is a dark line visible under the film, about 1/3” long. As bummed as I am about the irony of this damage, immediately after having the ClearPlex, I’m sure the damage would have been far worse if I didn’t have it installed.

My question to the forum regards potential windshield repair. I believe I recall that you can do a chip repair right through the ClearPlex; is that correct? I showed a buddy of mine, and he warned me that it might be risky to try to fill it, since the technician usually will drill into the windshield, and perhaps I should leave well enough alone. Thoughts ?

57f6c70299fb23c132cffb83741a9eaa.jpg
275df4ed8c5522cbff29ea098d867c1b.jpg

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Clearplex is plasctic so if the rock has sharp edges , is large or thrown with force it is going to get cut thru,, I had one go through my film on my 06 but It never cracked. It looks like yours has a small hair line crack. With out the film it would have be much worse.

I have never seen a repair where they drilled the glass. I have seen them use a vacuum pump on one side of the glass and they drawn /suck a clear epoxy type resin from the other side of the glass into the crack. I would find someone who performs this method and see if there is enough space on the inside for this process, .

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Clint, that looks like a straighforward repair. However, I think the film needs to come off to do it correctly.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
My GT windshield survived several direct rock hits when I drove it up the AlCan highway. If I'm not mistaken, I thought ClearPlex provided some sort of guarantee - on the windshield - if installed by their people or an authorized shop? I know my shop would not quote a price until they could inspect the car and be sure the windshield was defect free before installing.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Clint, unless the film has a hole in it, it will have to come off to do the repair. If you have ever tried to repair a windshield crack yourslef (not that I would on this car), the results can be decent. But you have to excavate the defect of any remaining glass debris and then inject it with the epoxy followed by placing it under vacuum. Don't see how that can be accomplished with the film intact.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the input, guys - much appreciated. I think I will first try excising a small circular hole through the ClearPlex for access for the repair (maybe 3 or 4 mm- will get input first from the repair person) using a punch biopsy instrument (tool of my trade), and then see how it looks after the repair. If it looks like crap, I can always then remove the entire film and start over. It’s just unfortunate that this happened so soon after installing the film. Would like to have gotten a bit more use out of it before replacing it, but I guess at least it’s not a high-dollar item. I wonder if more of these are available from Trent? I don’t have any “certified” installers in my area, but my tint guy wasn’t too intimidated when he learned it was precut, and did a fair job. I was actually pretty impressed with the clarity- only problem we had was a few air bubbles at the edge that were hard to get out.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
To address your title of the thread, nope, I think the film did all it could. This was dull blunt trauma.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
To address your title of the thread, nope, I think the film did all it could. This was dull blunt trauma.

I agree, especially as I think about it more. That’s why I phrased the title the way I did. I am grateful that I got the windshield film on just in time, as it turns out…

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I will add that you want to get the crack fixed ASAP, as cracks will grow if you don't fix 'em quickly.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I will add that you want to get the crack fixed ASAP, as cracks will grow if you don't fix 'em quickly.

^ This. Don't get caught assuming it will be a static situation.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Good point guys. I don’t plan on moving the car from it’s current position in a climate-controlled space until this is addressed (soon). Thanks.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I’m on my third windshield in 13 years, and I only got my clearplex installed a couple months ago. Wish I had done it sooner, as it likely could have handled the two incidents that killed my first two windshields.

Sorry you took such a hard hit. We’ll never know what it would have looked like without the clearplex. Like others I suspect much worse.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I’m on my third windshield in 13 years, and I only got my clearplex installed a couple months ago. Wish I had done it sooner, as it likely could have handled the two incidents that killed my first two windshields.

Sorry you took such a hard hit. We’ll never know what it would have looked like without the clearplex. Like others I suspect much worse.

Thanks, Karl. I agree. Yikes- two windshield replacements! I’ve heard they are no simple job. Did you have Rich/GTGuy handle it, or...?

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Thanks, Karl. I agree. Yikes- two windshield replacements! I’ve heard they are no simple job. Did you have Rich/GTGuy handle it, or...?

Dealer did first, without removing front fenders. Rich did the second (current) and removed fenders. You can do it without removing the fenders but the lower windshield seals won’t be as effectively locked down. Glad I got the second one done right.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Dealer did first, without removing front fenders. Rich did the second (current) and removed fenders. You can do it without removing the fenders but the lower windshield seals won’t be as effectively locked down. Glad I got the second one done right.

Good to know! Thanks.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
For the record when first installed it can take a good 3 to 4 weeks for the film to completely evaporate the water and have the adhesive fully adhere to the glass. This is affected by heat and humidity.

Clearplex has their installers use infra red heaters to help speed the process. Not implying this had any impact on the situation just as a note . I wouldn't drive my 06 GT until I had one installed and Clearplex went on my 2017 before it hit the Road..
and after 10 years of evolving the clarity of the new film is really, really Good..

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
For the record when first installed it can take a good 3 to 4 weeks for the film to completely evaporate the water and have the adhesive fully adhere to the glass. This is affected by heat and humidity.

Clearplex has their installers use infra red heaters to help speed the process. Not implying this had any impact on the situation just as a note . I wouldn't drive my 06 GT until I had one installed and Clearplex went on my 2017 before it hit the Road..
and after 10 years of evolving the clarity of the new film is really, really Good..

Good to know, thanks Brian. :thumbsup

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Bumping this old thread. I am having Exoshield installed this week. I have had Clearplex on two different Ferrari’s, but evidently Exoshield is a superior product.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Bumping this old thread. I am having Exoshield installed this week. I have had Clearplex on two different Ferrari’s, but evidently Exoshield is a superior product.

Hi everyone. I'm re-bumping this old thread too. @Cadster, any feedback on ExoShield? Anyone have any experience on ClearPlex vs. ExoShield? I'm interested in getting a windshield or two soon and want to know which direction to go.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It’s real simple. Ignore all the advertising and marketing bullshit about ceramic this and nano that. Only the thickness of the film matters for impact protection. Thicker film=more protection. Unfortunately, thicker films are more noticeable. That’s the trade off. Take your choice. I prefer thicker and I don’t find the slight decrease in optical clarity a problem.

Edit: I should have noted, I had ClearPlex on my original windshield for 4 years and it shed the usual bits of debris with no noticeable damage. If I looked closely, I could tell it was there, but I never noticed it in my normal driving day or night. I have Exoshield on my new windshield (don’t ask...). It’s almost invisible, but it’s not as thick, and I already have one nick in the film. Like I said, choose your trade offs.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTMD