Fuel Filler Fix - solution found and engineered

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Legs, do you want it in Canadian or American $?

Red car price please.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Yes, it was a fuel sensor safe RTV silicone that I used.

Thanks for your comments Bill. :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Yes, it was a fuel sensor safe RTV silicone that I used.

Thanks for your comments Bill. :thumbsup

You are welcome

I have always liked the fact that you are willing and do operate "outside of the proverbial box"; and you share that which you do.

Takes care

Shadowman

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
The final solution to the fuel filler neck issue?

I plan to go the radical way to avoid more problems with the scrappy OE filler neck.

As you can see on the picture, my idea is to disconnect the old filler neck. Replacement will not be the same s**t as my new replacement shown on the pic, but something like the AERO type, with fixation bracket and a small pan for any spilled gas. Fixation thread is available.

http://www.newton-equipment.com/aero.html

Main disadvantage of course is the removal of the storage compartment tub, but for what I use my car (short but quick drives:biggrin) I can live with it. And opening the hood for taking gas will only attract more attention to the car ……:eek

Many thanks for your opinions before I go ahead

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Pretty sure that will void warranty; and open up liability/lack of coverage if valet or garage suffers injury.

Im not an engineer, but vapors around electrical fields (battery, wiper motor, light relays) or heat (radiator, brakes, hvac) dont mix.

While it seems simple, the venting/drip and rubber seals to tub, inner fender, trunk etc all vent/dont build pressure for a reason.

Reactions: Natee

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Thank you for your comments.
Don't know about any warranty left? As I am from Europe and have an imported car, think no more warranty anyway.
The comment about vapor/drip related to electrical/heat is surely correct, still I believe that venting of the storage compartment will be improved when storage hub is removed.
I will check if there is a possibility to vent to the underbody of the car.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
I need to fix mine soon, I like the Cork idea! I thought Ford would have revamped this part by now...sound like at some point there all going to go bad

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Guys,

Just spent about 15 minutes putting 10 gallons of fuel into mine. That, plus my minor vapor leak which won't let me pass emissions... has me ready to replace the fuel filler neck. What are the opinions as to whether i should just do a stock replacement, or is there a better solution (F150 version here? Is it true Bill aka shadow has a more robust fix? The $375 price from Torrie is painful but certainly not a hindrance (price for replacement fuel filler neck).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
IMHO, replace the OEM with OEM and be careful when filling up. Much, much larger percentage of cars having no problems at all as opposed to those who have experienced a problem. The odds are in your favor.

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Repaired mine!

Spend the whole afternoon today on my filler neck.
I believed that may be there was no damage to the flapper mecanism.
I managed to get the inserted piece out without breaking it. And I was right! Nothing broken. Assembling the loose flapper pieces took me 2 minutes:banana:banana:banana. I guess that in most of the cases, nothing is broken. :cheers:cheers
I will publish some pictures later on.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Spend the whole afternoon today on my filler neck.
I believed that may be there was no damage to the flapper mecanism.
I managed to get the inserted piece out without breaking it. And I was right! Nothing broken. Assembling the loose flapper pieces took me 2 minutes:banana:banana:banana. I guess that in most of the cases, nothing is broken. :cheers:cheers
I will publish some pictures later on.

Sure would like to see thoes pictures.

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Don't know what happens. Cannot post pictures anymore. Please send me your E-Mail address.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
How did you get in there?? Looked impossible to me!
Can you send me a picture or two, I will pm my email

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
IMHO, replace the OEM with OEM and be careful when filling up. Much, much larger percentage of cars having no problems at all as opposed to those who have experienced a problem. The odds are in your favor.

I :agree: with a large emphasis on being "careful when filling up".

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
The cause of the failure seems to be the small pin that comes out after some years.
I have secured mine now using a stainless steel wire, which goes through a small hole I drilled through the pin.
Actually, the engineering of the whole system seems to be better than its reputation. I have actuated the flap at least 100 times to the mecanical stop with my finger, can’t imagine how it could fail once more.
Now, if you want to repair it by yourself, take half a day (2 hours for the splashshield, 15min to take the filler assembly out, 30min to tap out the flapper system insert, 15min to repair with a wire and grinding…..) and after the job done, you should be quiet. Note that it is important to tap out the insert evenly (I used a screwdriver), it is not glued, the fact is that the brown gasket is heavily compressed.
As stated before, I cannot post pictures, if you are interested, email me.
Good luck everybody!

Reactions: Natee

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
The cause of the failure seems to be the small pin that comes out after some years.
I have secured mine now using a stainless steel wire, which goes through a small hole I drilled through the pin.
Actually, the engineering of the whole system seems to be better than its reputation. I have actuated the flap at least 100 times to the mecanical stop with my finger, can’t imagine how it could fail once more.
Now, if you want to repair it by yourself, take half a day (2 hours for the splashshield, 15min to take the filler assembly out, 30min to tap out the flapper system insert, 15min to repair with a wire and grinding…..) and after the job done, you should be quiet. Note that it is important to tap out the insert evenly (I used a screwdriver), it is not glued, the fact is that the brown gasket is heavily compressed.
As stated before, I cannot post pictures, if you are interested, email me.
Good luck everybody!

E-mail sent.

Jeff

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Info and pictures sent!

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
E-mail sent.

Jeff

Must have missed it,,,,,,,,,one more time please.
billbriley@comcast.net

THX.

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
I'd like those pics too, please.

rdjmpowell@yahoo.com