Fuel Filler Fix - solution found and engineered

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I :agree: with a large emphasis on being "careful when filling up".

I thought I was being very carefull, knowing the potential for problems. Still happened anyway.

Luckly the flapper had just come loose internally. I guess you could call it "lucky" in the bigger picture.

With some help and ideas from Pro_GT driver, I think (finger's crossed) I have improved the catch that holds the flapper mechanism in place and won't have to pull this out again for a while.

Now I just need to get it all back together this weekend and get that *@^*&* fender liner back in place.

Jeff

Filler Neck Flap Assembly 2.jpg

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
my car is the latest casualty . will be taking out the filler tube this week to see it is repairable or if i require a new one. crossing fingers

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
found same issue as others. flapper back in place and secured. now the fun part of putting the inner fender back into place.
should be driving tomorrow.
FYI..the filler neck assembly is not in stock at ford or its distribution. being told 8 - 12 weeks. i placed an order anyways just so i will have one for the future,, just in case.
thanks go out to "Pro_GT driver" for guidance on this repair.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Do you still have the part # handy?

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hey Vaughan, too bad about filler, good hands of you to fix it, is this a real bitch or not so bad to do? I'm sure you are careful when filling tank or does that not play a roll, this just happen over time?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Do you still have the part # handy?

Pipe   Fuel Filler   Ford  4G7Z 9034 BA .jpg

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Hey Vaughan, too bad about filler, good hands of you to fix it, is this a real bitch or not so bad to do? I'm sure you are careful when filling tank or does that not play a roll, this just happen over time?

always careful filling tank.
repair is not such a hard thing to do,,,just need patience. the design is not really that good, but easy to improve upon once it is disassembled.
the tell tale signs where there before i went for my etest.... poor idle and stalling sometimes. i thought it was bad fuel...but this makes more sense. i will know better tonight, once i have her back on the road and see if issue is gone.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
All back together and took her for a drive....all is good. Now to compile data so I can pass etest.
The Fordgt forum members to the rescue again......thanks. :thumbsup

Last edited:

ItsDocJim

Aug 12, 2017
So I have the same issue. I told the dealership the problem was the flapper and pin but they wouldn't listen. I brought in the pages from the forum and told them I talked to some of the engineers but they didn't care, told me I was wrong and replaced a fuel canister or something for well over $700. Half a tank of gas later, light is back on and same error code. They say the filler neck assembly is back ordered and the repair will be about $2800... ouch.

I do not know if I trust them to be able to mod a F150 part, but not sure what other options are out there.

ItsDocJim

Aug 12, 2017
So I have the same issue. I told the dealership the problem was the flapper and pin but they wouldn't listen. I brought in the pages from the forum and told them I talked to some of the engineers but they didn't care, told me I was wrong and replaced a fuel canister or something for well over $700. Half a tank of gas later, light is back on and same error code. They say the filler neck assembly is back ordered and the repair will be about $2800... ouch.

I do not know if I trust them to be able to mod a F150 part, but not sure what other options are out there.

Edit... I did notice that in the original post with the pics for the mod, it stated that "if this happens, then it wont start" however, I have not had a problem starting it. It just takes 20 minutes to fill with gas. Same problem/solution???

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Edit... I did notice that in the original post with the pics for the mod, it stated that "if this happens, then it wont start" however, I have not had a problem starting it. It just takes 20 minutes to fill with gas. Same problem/solution???

This is my issue also, always starts, always takes forever to put gas in.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Well GTJOEY was the first that the filler flap broke.......300 miles on the car and the car stalled at a 4 way crossing......
My great friend, Fred Goodnow, had a NEW PIPE shipped out before the very first rally and a YOUNG MAN named DENIS Breitenbach walked the local dealer through the process.
If you jammed the nozzle to deep into the opening you can SNAP the springs which happened in my case. leaving the lower flaps down , sucking in air. Both Rich and Denis had made tools to replace the pipe WITHOUT removing the fender. The third bolt was behind the pipe.
Passenger wheel removed, inner liner removed, watching not to bend the lip, a couple of brackets removed and that was it.
YOU NEED THE NEW PIPE! It will stall and send a check engine code at the wrong time. unless your tank is FULL you will get a light and stall.
The evap loop starts after 3/4 and below.
My gift for not getting seriuosly hurt was a wonderful FORD GT filler cap prototype!
Which has been on my car ever since.
gtjoey1314

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Just to further explain what my car exhibits, in addition to the slow fill ups, my idle is very erratic when coming to a stop, sometimes taking the RPMs down to nearly 0, stalls occasionally but always re-starts. I thought that was another problem but have seen one or two people on the thread mention it.

There are a few methods described here for a fix (F150 filler, some pipe (I don’t understand this one), even cork?) is there a consensus for the best way to fix it? Thanks

Reactions: viva gt

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Just to further explain what my car exhibits, in addition to the slow fill ups, my idle is very erratic when coming to a stop, sometimes taking the RPMs down to nearly 0, stalls occasionally but always re-starts. I thought that was another problem but have seen one or two people on the thread mention it.

There are a few methods described here for a fix (F150 filler, some pipe (I don’t understand this one), even cork?) is there a consensus for the best way to fix it? Thanks
Easiest way (short of buying a new one,,,if available) is to take it out then take it apart and put the flapper back together. Rough sand or scratch with a knife, the tongue part and its receiving part then apply a gas resistant sealant and reassemble.
I did mine a 3 years ago and it is still together.
The hardest part for me ( besides taking out the freaking inner fender) was locating a 5.5 mm combo wrench to take the screws out of the fill cap/ flap housing.
I might have an instruction email from an overseas member (Pro_GT) that I can share.
pm me your email and I will check to see if I can locate it.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My fix was to pull the filler pipe, as described many times in this forum, then re-assemble the flapper and run a #8 screw through the plastic hinge and into the pipe. This prevents the flapper assembly from dismantling itself again when a gas hose nozzle bumps into it. I did this fix about five years ago and have had no problems since. Pulling the fender liner is no big deal, just fiddly and requiring commitment to turn it into a pretzel as you pull it out.

Reactions: steved57

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had one of these types on another vehicle too. I always just put the nozzle in straight and didn't let the hose put too much pressure/tension on the handle so it doesn't try to move the nozzle inside the tube.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
My fix was to pull the filler pipe, as described many times in this forum, then re-assemble the flapper and run a #8 screw through the plastic hinge and into the pipe. This prevents the flapper assembly from dismantling itself again when a gas hose nozzle bumps into it. I did this fix about five years ago and have had no problems since. Pulling the fender liner is no big deal, just fiddly and requiring commitment to turn it into a pretzel as you pull it out.

I still need you to help me fix mine :)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I still need you to help me fix mine :)
Ha! Steve, once my workshop is clean of the Rolls project, come on down. I’m hoping my shop will be freed-up before year-end