MPG

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Regarding your Audi I suspect it is the same like my S6. When I did the testdrive I was quite shocked how laggish it was and there was no boost feeling. Once I changed from economy mode to normal or sports mode the car felt totally different and the MPG numbers have changed as well. And I guess the start/stop feature saves 1-2ltr/100km as well and I would not want to have one on the new Ford GT :thumbsdow

I know the Audi comparison was an apples/oranges comparison - well aware the NFGT must be much aggressive in the setup.

My Audi does not have start/stop (at least I haven´t found it :) ) and has been modified a bit to now making 475 hp .... not 28 mpg anymore but probably 22-23 in current trim (highway)

Ii´s going to be interesting to see the actual specs of the NFGT after such a long period of specilation & romours ..

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
"So how was the mileage on the T70?

I had that Lola T70 coupe for over thirty years, and never once thought about checking fuel mileage- :biggrin

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
The only real concern with mileage on such a car is RANGE. It was a nuisance with the '06 on a track day when the group stopped for a lunch break, I had to go for a fuel break. And on long road trips I have been watching the last 1/4 on the fuel gauge in the middle of the night, wondering how far to the next open service station.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have one question.... does it have a REAL , vertically oriented cupholder?
andy (ajb)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
At spring mountain I was at the pump 3 times that day.

It was a nuisance with the '06 on a track day when the group stopped for a lunch break, I had to go for a fuel break.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I can squeeze out 5 mpg on the track on my '05 GT. I think knowing the mpg on the track & road helps. If you don't drive it like it was meant to be driven then it won't matter.

Ed

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Low MPG = more stops buying gas which usually involves interested lookers and lots of questions. Just wait until the NFGT hits the pumps.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
A Youtuber just posted a video about the things he dislikes about this car. It's a bit over exaggerated so won't link it, but his point on the MPG is fair. The MPG on the NGT is worse than on a V10 Huracan (apparently), so where's the "eco" in ecoboost? A bad MPG also makes it more difficult to register in other countries and many countries have a gas guzzler tax (my country, the Netherlands must be the worst). Such tax can easily add up 30% to the base price (I haven't mentioned VAT, which is 21%). That's why they sell 4 cylinder Mustangs overhere.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I am still worried about gas mileage... but even more worried about.."".Does it have a real cup holder?""

andy (ajb)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
"".Does it have a real cup holder?""andy (ajb)

Yours will: Margaret!

Ed

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I think people who expect a driving experience like the '05-'06 GT are going to be in for a surprise. Some pleasantly, others maybe not so much. The last GT was a plush ride with good NVH and a lazy, under stressed power train. I think the new car will be the polar opposite, at least I hope so. The fact that it gets mediocre fuel economy gives me great hope that the motor is tuned to within an inch of its life. Just the way it should be.

I agree completely, I had to increase spring rates dramatically at both ends, change the rate bias and eliminate designed in roll under steer to get my 05 to an acceptable handling level. Those cars were cruisers not handlers. Perhaps the new GT engine is using extra fuel to reduce intake charge heating, thus poor fuel economy. I am quite sure anyone purchasing the new GT will want the most HP and torque possible regardless of resultant fuel economy.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This Gas Mileage BS has gone far enough. Who gives a Sh.. what gas mileage the New Ford GT gets, I don't. If I can afford to purchase one I hope I can fill it up when needed! Sorry for those Taxed on gas mileage but we're not. This is just another power point for skeptics of Ford and the NGT. I heard enough from the skeptics last month, lets move onward and upward and make this launch FANTASTIC for the owners, owners to be, and sport car buffs!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Low MPG = more stops buying gas which usually involves interested lookers and lots of questions. Just wait until the NFGT hits the pumps.

I will fill my NFGT only half full each time to share the love of this wonderful Ford Motor Company masterpiece!:thumbsup

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A Youtuber just posted a video about the things he dislikes about this car. It's a bit over exaggerated so won't link it, but his point on the MPG is fair. The MPG on the NGT is worse than on a V10 Huracan (apparently), so where's the "eco" in ecoboost? A bad MPG also makes it more difficult to register in other countries and many countries have a gas guzzler tax (my country, the Netherlands must be the worst). Such tax can easily add up 30% to the base price (I haven't mentioned VAT, which is 21%). That's why they sell 4 cylinder Mustangs overhere.

1. Ford is promoting the Ecoboost brand.
2. The dramatic shape of the car (i.e. wheel pods/buttresses/tapered fuselage) would not be possible with a Ford V8.
3. The V6 is probably very highly tuned to get the power it needs. Thus, fuel economy suffers.
4. John Q. Public with not remember the car for its fuel economy.
5. Read Mr. Hamon's post.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
So if the gas mileage numbers are out, shouldnt the HP/TQ numbers be available?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
So if the gas mileage numbers are out, shouldnt the HP/TQ numbers be available?

Known and available to the public are two different things.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I suppose that emissions issues could also be a reason why HP/Torque numbers are not finalized.
But an ECU upgrade (from aftermarket tuner or from Ford) could become available I would think

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Known and available to the public are two different things.

True, but why hide them, it's going to come out in the end anyway?

McLaren did this with their Black Swan Moments campaign. That was intensely annoying too.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
True, but why hide them, it's going to come out in the end anyway?

McLaren did this with their Black Swan Moments campaign. That was intensely annoying too.

Phil, you notice that McLaren killed off its 'Odile' campaign shortly after it began? Like most of McLaren's marketing, it was hopeless

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Comparing the 05/06 and 17 numbers am I really the only one who is a bit surprised that the highway mileage is lower for the 3.5 turbo than the 5.4 na? I would have thought that the 7 speed auto transmission would have the 7th gear as a similar to the 6th in the old manual transmission - and a 3.5 when not pushed into boost (regular highway driving) I would have imagined using less fuel .... I would have thought the numbers would have been comparable to my 2011 Audi S4 - a 3 liter supercharged - but that is rated at 28 highway.

If you would have asked us all before the numbers came out we would have probably all guessed it would be higher based on the known factors. I.E. Lighter car, Smaller displacement Motor, Low parasitic drag turbos ,active fuel management, Better aero & 7 speed tranny. Now we know the formula is different and the 7th gear is not so much a tall over drive gear ..

I was anticipating better numbers.. When working thru my order being the curious guy I am I did ask the concierge if the new GT was going to avoid the gas guzzler tax he said "no"..:eek It's include in the base price .. That was not what I was expecting to hear.. Did I consider not taking the car.. Not!! :lol

Last edited: