New ZR1

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
As long as "right" can be measured by sales, it's not even going to be a contest.
I thought we were talking about downforce :confused

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
https://youtu.be/O_adY_b-aLQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
IMO, the C7 is too good to kill off for the Mid-engine

Problem with Vette production runs (~7yrs) is the engineering / technology is dated very quickly.

If you bought a C6 later years (~2012) you were buying 8-10 yr old technology (ie, 2002)

If you buy a C7 today you are basically buying (7yr old) 2010 development technology.

Today's sports-car consumers have little tolerance for anything dated at this price point; either Tech or design.

And with social media, isolated issues (like Z06 overheating) snowball.

My take is, a 'clean sheet' design is probably more cost effective v. re-engineering old platform like they did C5->C6.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What the hell is it?

Gentlemen,

This new ZR1 is certainly a tremendous buy in terms of performance/price. But I just can't seem to get excited about Corvettes. What the hell is it that's missing in this mix? Perhaps it's because I can't drive one block anywhere here in Scottsdale without seeing a C7 on the road. They are everywhere. Corvette annual sales of about 33,000 is roughly 4 times annual Ferrari production which isn't a huge number BUT Corvettes are used as daily drivers and Ferrari is not which explains why you see so many.

Corvettes are like Seiko watches. Excellent in function, OK in style, and just not special. No matter how well a Seiko diving watch works, it will never have the cachet of a Rolex Sea Dweller. Unfair perhaps, but that's just the way it is.

Chip

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ssssooooo...G.M. offers a low rear wing and a tall one. Two separate 'options'.

Why not just have one that can either be raised or lowered? 'Too simple?

(sigh) 'Too deep for me...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Why not just have one that can either be raised or lowered? 'Too simple?...

Probably too expensive for the price point.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I like it !! I'm obviously a fan of the wing but it's not there for just looks, with that much power they need it to keep the butt planted in the corners... More down force and less drag than that setup on the Z06.. I'm sure it will be setting some new lap records,, wishing the new GT had another 100 ponies .. :biggrin

It's come from some good sources the mid engine car is close, I know a guy who builds exhaust systems for the big three.. and I've heard they have already submitted the tech specs to IMSA etc,, I think with Cadillac's move in the IMSA series and the elimination of the Corvette Daytona prototypes I think it might initially be branded as a Caddie,, and maybe a Chevy version later.. , I'm just saying,,,

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
You've gotta give the V8 F-GT engineers a super star and a cigar, no Wal-Mart looking hideous rear wing/rear spoiler, and the car is very stable at speeds in excess of 200 MPH. GM Aero engineers could have done better on the wing design with a less is more approach, and the roof should have been of the fixed type.

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I’m not a track rat so I love the targa top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
same C7 on steroid's where is innovation beyond HP?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
same C7 on steroid's where is innovation beyond HP?

'Same could be said of the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, et al.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
No matter how well a Seiko diving watch works, it will never have the cachet of a Rolex Sea Dweller. Unfair perhaps, but that's just the way it is.

Seiko Grand Seiko Diver and vintage Seiko Marine Master 300M sell at Rolex prices....

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Much better looking wing design IMO:

Low wing ZR1.jpg

ZR1 low spoiler.jpg

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
And much less effective ;)

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Can't wait for the reviews on this (OEM) 755 HP / 715 TQ mated to a 7sp manual on a 3,560lbs car !!!
I just hope those C&C guys leave the parking lot in "grandma mode".

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You don't suppose the new ZR1 - not to mention the upcoming mid-engine 'Vette - has anything at all to do with this, do you?

Naaaaaaaaah...............probably not.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...-sales-crash/ar-BBFbByI?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think they should have been limiting production for years.

It would help change people's perception that they aren't special. Well, at least the top tier models.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Internet says $9000 rebate on all Corvettes.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Another possibility is that, yet again, the mid-engine Corvette is about as real as a unicorn.

I guess we'll find out in Chicago.

Chicago NAIAS 2018 no show

http://autoweek.com/article/rumormill/wheres-chevys-midengine-corvette

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The c7 has aged very quickly....its already a 5yr old design. Many of the styling cues just look like from 1990s trans am.
From Blacked our rear valance that makes every color except black looked like a body kit to that shiny black plastic egg-crate grill and silver chrome strip, not to mention the two dental tips.

They screwed up the pricing once they got over $50K.

In the C6’s $43K base MSRP then stacking with GM employee discount, GM card -$2K and $1000 dealer cash, they flew off lots.

You could order the z51 parts from catalog if you wanted as your budget allowed.

Now a z51 c7 is $57K; the payments don’t work and core buyer can’t make $60K make sense

There was a dozen sitting on the lot covered in dust at a major Socal dealer I was at.

The ZR1 will be like ACR/TA and find niche buyers.