Faster At Le Mans: Race Car or Street Car?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
And of course we need a fast lap at the Nürburgring

That would be cool although there are so many track configurations that comparison with other car times doesn't work anymore. I'm thinking we could take Saint Ho's NGT there?

Ed

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I'm just sayin'' at LeMans it might be closer than you think !! Raj , Billy where are you ?? ..:lol

I agree. And with (approx) 650hp vs 450hp, the power difference is pretty substantial--it's not like 25 or 50hp. I think it would be closer than folks think...

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
A fully developed race car against a street car that is essentially tuned for all different conditions a customer might encounter? I would bet money on the race car any day!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Not to take anything away from the NFGT, But I doubt it would be able to turn times close to the race car.
In this video, Dirk says the grip in the race car is double. With much more grip you can carry so much more speed out of turns and down the straights even if down on power. At COTA, most supercars driven really well are going to be maxing out around a 2:15. The GT race cars were turning around 2:03. I spoke with Joey Hand at COTA before the race and he said the Ford GTs were at a disadvantage at COTA because of BOP and they had a hard time accelerating off of the many slow turns at COTA. At a track like Le Mans, they can keep speed much better. Given that a high HP supercar has this advantage at COTA, the race GT is almost 15 seconds a lap faster than most of the best supercar times posted. I feel that unless the NFGT had race tires on and other peformance mods, the lap difference would be easily double digit per lap at LeMans. :cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gjZhJ-ovo

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Not to take anything away from the NFGT, But I doubt it would be able to turn times close to the race car.
In this video, Dirk says the grip in the race car is double. With much more grip you can carry so much more speed out of turns and down the straights even if down on power. At COTA, most supercars driven really well are going to be maxing out around a 2:15. The GT race cars were turning around 2:03. I spoke with Joey Hand at COTA before the race and he said the Ford GTs were at a disadvantage at COTA because of BOP and they had a hard time accelerating off of the many slow turns at COTA. At a track like Le Mans, they can keep speed much better. Given that a high HP supercar has this advantage at COTA, the race GT is almost 15 seconds a lap faster than most of the best supercar times posted. I feel that unless the NFGT had race tires on and other peformance mods, the lap difference would be easily double digit per lap at LeMans. :cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gjZhJ-ovo

I'm going the other way,, COTA & Lemans are so different.. Much more room at Le Mans to let the higher power lower aero drag car roll.. It would be fun to see...

Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Can't someone at Ford/Ganassi just slap a set of comparable slicks on the street GT and let a couple of drivers get some hot laps in and post the results? Keep everything else equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
:agree:

That's all I'm saying.

Well, and this. Regardless of the time differential between race and street car, I would LOVE to see the same test with the other cars in the NFGT's class. They likely wouldn't take the challenge, but no matter the result between race and street GT lap times, it would be fun to say, "Okay, now you guys go" and see the response.

Crickets I'm guessing. Which would still be a great PR/marketing opp.

"Ford claims 2017 GT is ultimate race car for the street. Waits for competition to prove them wrong." :biggrin

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Ooooooh! Yah! What a great comparison. Someone needs to run this test. I know that My Ferrari 360 Challenge car is actually a tad slower than my 360 Challenge Stadale around Fiorano. It would be interesting to see how close the GT race and street cars are.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Eventually the car magazines will get around to comparison testing. Maybe not between the race car and the NFGT, but between other contemporary supercars.

Howard

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
LeMans is a very long high speed track. Very few corners for the race car to take advantage of it's downforce, and while it probably is in a low downforce setup, the BoP limits the true potential of the car. Watching the interview with some of the drivers last year, they mentioned how focused they needed to be to due to the long straight's in the middle of the night.
At this track, I think a comp NFGT would be very close if not faster. Any other track with shorter straights and more turns- race car.
It would be great to see an unlimited GT race car out on the track, but I think its times would have it mixing it up with the next higher class. Cant have that!

Great post Brian:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
We need to get Ford to consider this a marketing opportunity.

could you imagine the implications if Ford does this and it proves the street car is in fact faster than the race car all be it for only a lap or two.

I can't ever imagine this happening before.... wonder what it would say about a street car that is faster than its racer counterpart!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Don't think you have to worry about answering that question.

They call it a race car for a reason.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
This was an interesting discussion awhile back and first posted up by Stormcat. I think everyone's been a little handicapped in answering because many of the details/specifications of the NFGT street car have been slow in becoming public.

A few posts ago, Stormcat speculated;

The race car is lighter but not by much,,,

Not sure what you had in mind, Stormcat, but I think the weight significantly favors the race car. By my back of napkin calcs, the BoP'd GT with a full load of fuel would weigh in at around 2900lbs? That's about 500 lbs lighter than what we now know the street car weighs. Accelerating, cornering, and braking with a 500lb "penalty" is gonna take a lot of mojo! With the realization that it is largely a conceptual exercise because of all of the variables, I think the race car would handily whoop the street car.

A better question may be how is the NFGT gonna stack up track times against the competition. At 3400 lbs, it is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the C6 Z06 and the C7 Grand Sport (arguably chevy's best track car) is within spitting distance of the GT's weight. Now, realistically, no one is likely cross shopping a GT and a Vette - but hey, they do compete in the same class! Step up to stiffer competition - say the current offerings from Mclaren and put an equally skilled (preferably the same) driver in each car, it is minimally going to be a very good/revealing comparison.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It wouldn't surprise me, nor would it bother me, that the GT is slower than it's competition. The car was built to win the Big Race, which it did. We get the street version of the race car, warts and all. There are many homologation cars I'd take in a heartbeat over faster cars. The fact that this one is a Ford GT is icing on the cake.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
BoP handicapped ~150hp, no? Active aero vs. fixed, carbon wheels vs. alloy. It would be interesting, especially on a high speed course. With street car allowed racing tires.

I'd like to see BoP vs. no-BoP race cars. How much are they really handicapped?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'd like to see BoP vs. no-BoP race cars. How much are they really handicapped?

A bunch. The 3.5 Ecoboost in the Daytona Prototypes was making about 600HP+ in race trim. This power in the IMSA/WEC cars would be insane.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Except for fuel economy, Ford REALLY did a great job on the 3.5L EB as well as the more recent smaller sister, the 2.7L. I would estimate that it will be a very reliable powerplant for the GT and probably has capacity to produce more than it does in stock trim. The question would be the capacity of the downstream drivetrain components. If anything like the 05-06 cars, there's a whole lot of headroom with these components.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
For the record one of the race car drivers told me personally when they filmed the competition Coupe and the race car at Sebring they were neck-and-neck up to about 150.. then they ran out of room...

Last edited:

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Love to see it. But no way the street car is faster with the weight and downforce advantage of the race car. I also think the race car probably can package wider tires -- less steering lock required up front.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
could you imagine the implications if Ford does this and it proves the street car is in fact faster than the race car all be it for only a lap or two.

I can't ever imagine this happening before.... wonder what it would say about a street car that is faster than its racer counterpart!

Even if it happened, Trump would call it "fake news".