Supercharger oil leak

jtatum01

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2006
South Carolina
I decided to take the GT out today and when I pulled in the drive some kids wanted to see the engine so I said sure and opened it up . I then noticed oil right below the head of the supercharger 3 small puddles in the front rail right at the edge closest to the firewall . I then noticed trace amounts in the side rail. The car has 350 miles on it so I went to the dealer in Columbia S.C. . I don't think I would have had any more attention if I had pulled up in a spaceship , everyone in the dealership came out But they didn't have anyone that had a clue other than it might be the seals on the supercharger . Then the service manager said some oil blowback might be normal as the seals set and I said that didn't sound correct but I would contact the forum and see if anyone else has had this leak . Meanwhile I just put her back up till I can get a good feel on this. Any help would be Great. I hope I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
If its truly the supercharger then it could be a major issue because I believe its a sealed unit. If leaking it may have to be replaced.

Dave

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
jtatum01,
I have never heard of this oil problem. Mine is clean and I have many more miles. The good news is that if it is leaking from the front of the supercharger, the front snout unbolts from the rest of the supercharger and can be easily replaced.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Sorry to hear of this, I know how painful any fault is in a prized car.

I've driven four supercharged cars over 100,000 miles in the past 6 years or so (XJR, XKR's, Range Rovers and GT). Never had a leak from this area.

Could you post any pics and would DBK put this in the technical stickies?

Would you keep us posted on what happens? The supercharger unit is almost a bolt on device - so hopefully that's what will happen.

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
Perhaps it is just the snout gasket leaking, but pics would be helpful.

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I am glad I am not the only one! After my 2006 blew coolant all over at 39 miles, I have been keeping an eye out for leaks of any kind. My first "real" drive was last weekend, for about 240 miles. About 150 miles from home, I noticed fluid spraying on the rear window, which I assumed was coolant. Not so! It too was supercharger oil. It was running out of the snout and my intake manifold was puddled with oil as well. Miles on my car are 350 +/- as well, odd coincidence?

Also noticed that my transaxle had blown out a considerable amount of fluid as well, from the vent as others have noticed. Enough to fill up the belly pan pretty good.

I don't trust my local dealer, they failed miserably on the first repair and also positioned a floor jack wrong and damaged my belly pan.

I love the car, but don't feel they were put together all that well. I've found a lot of other scary stuff just poking around - like passenger's seat only had 3 out of the 4 bolts, etc. The whole experience reminds me of the Pantera years. Unfortunately, a GT is far more expensive!

I have pics of the S/C leak, I can try to post tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
CSX, I guess you've seen the thread on the transaxle vent leakage? The answer seems to be to wait for Ford to design a better (or higher) bolt or buy the transaxle cooler and maybe even both.

Is yours still leaking from the supercharger or has it now been fixed?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neilda said:
CSX, I guess you've seen the thread on the transaxle vent leakage? The answer seems to be to wait for Ford to design a better (or higher) bolt or buy the transaxle cooler and maybe even both.

Is yours still leaking from the supercharger or has it now been fixed?

Neil

I don't think Ford is going to improve a design on a car they are discontinuing.

Dave

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
CSX and J:

PM me your contact info and I will try and help resolve the situation/find you an answer.

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Neilda,
Nope, I parked it in all of its leaky glory and have not returned since. I fear if I don't cool off I will pull an "Elvis" and shoot it. :lol

Funny how my old cars don't have these problems...

I have suggested to Ford that they either need to FIX the transaxle vent or install at no charge the FRPP cooler if that is the solution. IMHO, the lack of QC and proper de-bugging of this car is inexcusable. It is apparent the car was rushed into production from day 1 and there have been numerous problems with the subcontractors on the project. That being said, I wrote my check to Ford and think it is their obligation to figure these cars out and fast. I guarantee that any other owner's web forum for any other supercar does not have the extent of common tech problem faq stickies that we do here!

What Ford needs to realize is that the buyers of Ford GT's are NOT their usual demographic and can buy any car they want. Even though many of us seem to be mechanically inclined DIY types, you shouldn't have to be after stroking a six-figure check for a new car. I have 350 miles on my car and it has broken every time I have driven it. It is a beautful sunny day here in the Midwest today and I can't drive my new car. Kind of a shame, wouldn't you say?

All that being said, I still love the car and will ride it out to see if Ford comes through. I own a lot of vintage Shelby and Ford cars, and the idea of having a modern GT40 is still exciting, even after having my enthusiasm dampened by these problems. Hey, at least it is pretty to look at. :biggrin

Let me know if anybody has this problem and finds a cure....

Regards,
Colin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have noticed 2 problems with quality control so far.

1. Winshield weather stripping not glued down on the drivers side A pillar. I just removed the paper from the double stick tape and pushed it down.

2. Truck key latch inoperable. Not repaired to date. I will probably get it fixed during the 1st oil change, or if something major comes up.

It would be a good idea to have a new section "GT Problems" so that all of us can share information about things to look out for.

BlackICE

Last edited:

jtatum01

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2006
South Carolina
DBK said:
CSX and J:

PM me your contact info and I will try and help resolve the situation/find you an answer.
Thanks DBK , I can be reached at jtatum01@aol.com . I have to go in the morning and see if we can get anyone on the phone from SVT and give us a little advice . I will take photos to post tomorrow so everyone can keep a eye out for this . Thanks , Jack

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Dave, you could be right about the motivation from Ford to find a fix - however I was told that they were aware of the transaxle vent issue effecting a few cars and that a fix was likely. My own fix is to have the oil cooler and I'm just waiting for Roush here in the UK to tell me they've arrived.

Collin - don't do an Elvis!! It must be incredibly frustrating not to be able to drive it when you want to. As you suggest, most of us aren't too troubled by any restrictions on our spending - therefore we tend to have great service and everything happens quickly (I don't mean to sound like a spoilt brat - I'm not - but I think you see my point). Broken down toys are not acceptable in our world. So you have my sympathy.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
How does the oil cooler solve the vent problem? The vent exit is much higher than the oil level. Is it that when the oil get hot, thus thin and the cars get driven fast on bumpy roads, or high G corners that the oil will slush around and find its way out of the vent? If so would a taller vent tube solve it?

BlackICE

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think it's venting with expansion - hot gasses loaded with oil are venting (I'm guessing a bit from what I've been told). Therefore the rad would take any gas expansion before the vent bolt was required. That seems to be my take on it.

I have not been through any high G corners for oil to slosh out.... yet!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
That sound like it could be the cause of the leak. If so the oil leak should as a thin film of oil in the general area without any pooling or evidence of the location of the leak. Is that the case for those seeing the problem? For the price of the car Ford should have just included the cooler on all of the cars if this is the cause.

Another solution would be to build a vent with a larger surface area to cool the vapors before they exited the vent. Something like an funnel with a cap on the top with small hole covered by oil resistant foam to stop dirt from entering the hole.

I haven't driven my car long enough to heat it up yet. What a shame. Since I got the car it has been raining most everyday.

BlackICE

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Neilda,
Real sorry to hear about your supercharger oil leak. So far this does not appear to be a wide spread issue.
I recommend you ask SVT to completely replace the unit.

I believe the overheating of the trans ax is a typical issue and the reason I would suggest installing the trans ax cooler. In my opinion Ford should have included the trans ax cooler in production of the car. However, Ford did not do this and as with most things was likely driven by cost. Adding a larger vent to the trans ax is not the solution, the unit is overheating, oil is expanding and taking the easiest way out.
Many including myself have experienced and reported high engine temperatures too. Just look at the huge muffler sitting right on top of the trans ax and right next to the air intake box. I’ve had the trans ax cooler installed more than one year ago and it completely put a stop to any oil venting from the trans ax, even under extreme track use. Now that I’ve seen the reports from Ida Automotive about his exhaust system and the reduced temperatures I can’t wait to get one of these on my car too.

Let us know how you make out with the supercharger.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Trackday - it's CSX/Colin who has the supercharger issue. Mine's the transaxle vent leak.

That's very encouraging to have your report on the cooler/rad- mine is ordered and I'm waiting for it to arrive........ N

jtatum01

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2006
South Carolina
Follow up on Supercharger

TrackDay said:
Neilda,
Real sorry to hear about your supercharger oil leak. So far this does not appear to be a wide spread issue.
I recommend you ask SVT to completely replace the unit.

I believe the overheating of the trans ax is a typical issue and the reason I would suggest installing the trans ax cooler. In my opinion Ford should have included the trans ax cooler in production of the car. However, Ford did not do this and as with most things was likely driven by cost. Adding a larger vent to the trans ax is not the solution, the unit is overheating, oil is expanding and taking the easiest way out.
Many including myself have experienced and reported high engine temperatures too. Just look at the huge muffler sitting right on top of the trans ax and right next to the air intake box. I’ve had the trans ax cooler installed more than one year ago and it completely put a stop to any oil venting from the trans ax, even under extreme track use. Now that I’ve seen the reports from Ida Automotive about his exhaust system and the reduced temperatures I can’t wait to get one of these on my car too.

Let us know how you make out with the supercharger.
Trackday , I went this morning and met with the SVT tech and the resolve was to replace the entire unit as recommended . Thanks , Jtatum01 :thumbsup

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
For what it's worth

Talked with an '06 GT owner at Road America this past weekend. Warranty issues with him were a coolant leak (loose hose clamp) and a supercharger oil leak . . . factory boys eventually came out & took his car away in an enclosed trailer for repair. Don't know if he got a new supercharger, but he told me, "A seal was leaking."