Transaxle fluid question.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Yesterday I purchased some spare parts for my GT at our local Ford Dealership and I asked for 3 quarts of the proper transaxle fluid. I need one quart to add when the GT guys install my transaxle cooler later this month. After searching his parts books I was given a 3 quarts of Motorcraft SAE75W-90 synthetic rear axle lubricant. It is Ford part number XY-75W90-QLS. I told the guy at the counter that I did not think this was the proper fluid and that I believe the bottle should say synthetic transaxle lubricant and not rear axle lubricant. So he double checked his books and assured me that this was the right lubricant for the Ford GT transaxle. When I got home from the dealership I looked in the Ford GT owners manual and it listed the proper fluid name as Motorcraft SAE 75W-90 Premium Synthetic Transaxle Lubricant. The manual also listed the proper Ford part number as XT-75W90-QGT. I think they sold me the wrong fluid, did they, or is this synthetic rear axle lubricant the proper stuff?

Chip

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Suggest you have the parts guy "cross reference" the numbers 2C if they match up or not by doing a stock number update/change/delete/replacement check. ('not sure what they call it)

From the wording it sounds like they're 2 different animals. (And, don't the letters "GT" seem to appear on pretty much any GT stuff - liquid or solid? That would seem to indicate the manual's number is the correct one.)

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I'm thinking whichever is the most expensive is the right part. This should be a new Murphy's law. Your part number is the most expensive part number.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
$38 per quart

Chip,

Someone may be smokin' crack... Did it retail for about $38 per quart? If so, you should have the right stuff. Do not substitute fluids for this application unless you are a thrill seeker.

Front%20trans%20oil.jpg

rear label:
Rear%20trans%20oil.jpg

Jay
(949) 366-1211 anytime

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Thanks Jay

Your post and that photo helped a lot. They gave me the wrong stuff.

Chip

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Why so much for this oil?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Because they can and I believe it is specially made for the GT and no other production car I know if uses it. You have to recoup development costs and maximize profits. The GT only uses so little of it really doesn't matter.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Yesterday I purchased some spare parts for my GT at our local Ford Dealership and I asked for 3 quarts of the proper transaxle fluid. I need one quart to add when the GT guys install my transaxle cooler later this month. After searching his parts books I was given a 3 quarts of Motorcraft SAE75W-90 synthetic rear axle lubricant. It is Ford part number XY-75W90-QLS. I told the guy at the counter that I did not think this was the proper fluid and that I believe the bottle should say synthetic transaxle lubricant and not rear axle lubricant. So he double checked his books and assured me that this was the right lubricant for the Ford GT transaxle. When I got home from the dealership I looked in the Ford GT owners manual and it listed the proper fluid name as Motorcraft SAE 75W-90 Premium Synthetic Transaxle Lubricant. The manual also listed the proper Ford part number as XT-75W90-QGT. I think they sold me the wrong fluid, did they, or is this synthetic rear axle lubricant the proper stuff?

Chip

Chip,
I had the same experience at several Ford dealers here in Oklahoma - they definitely gave you the wrong lube! I've even had them argue with me about the motor oil (trying to sell me Mustang GT oil). I bought my transaxle fluid and motor oil from Maurice (92NSX) - great service!
Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
doesn't Purple K make a substitute,... my slot car builder recommends it...
sorry, I just could not resist that crack...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, thanks Bony, open the box again.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Frank .... if you where a proctologist you might be able to get away with KY in the transaxle. :rofl

I ignored Bony on that obvious baiting. :biggrin

See you guys soon.
S

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Anyone have experience with Motul 300 75W-90

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think maybe Mazola party in Newport Beach. Previous good one Steve.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK

Because it's made by squeezing the juice out of the bodies of helpless baby Belgian foxes.

Sorry.

I'm just very anti-lentil-munching-wigwam-living-bike-riding enviromentalists today. If my GT ran on Dolphins I'd be a lot happier.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Because it's made by squeezing the juice out of the bodies of helpless baby Belgian foxes.

Sorry.

I'm just very anti-lentil-munching-wigwam-living-bike-riding enviromentalists today. If my GT ran on Dolphins I'd be a lot happier.

Try Purple K's spotted owl oil?
Used to use their porpoise and dolphin oil, but prefer spotted owl lubricant.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think maybe Mazola party in Newport Beach. Previous good one Steve.

Mazola tends to wash off in the hot tub. I recommend Purple K's Penetrate 5-300 for maximum lubrication and protection for all moving parts.

Nice avatar steve :)

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I am looking at changing most of my fluids, is there any time limit on when the transaxle oil (XT-75W-90QGT) needs to be changed....as I am nearing 1,700miles, more concerned with the 5 years the oil has been sitting in the transmission; also any vendors on this site that sell the oil?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford advises to change the transaxle fluid at the first year (regardless of mileage) and then at 3-year intervals there after. At the first change, the fluid looks pretty darn bad. Make sure that you remove BOTH drain plugs. The one on the driver's side will have a screen on it and you should clean it. The one on the passenger side will have a magnetic tip that is usually pretty fluffy with particles. Pump the new fluid in with a little hand pump. It will take just shy of 4 quarts. You can order the oil from any Ford dealer. We have it in stock and you can PM me if interested. Also, I'm sure Torrie has it in stock as well. PM me if you'd like us to send you 4 quarts.

H

HHGT

Kendall recently changed the transaxel fluid on both GTs. On the Red GT, he also had Ryan change my shifter to the short throw. I can tell you that was one heck of an upgrade, not to mention that the 2nd gear grind is completely gone, even when cold.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...change my shifter to the short throw. I can tell you that was one heck of an upgrade, not to mention that the 2nd gear grind is completely gone, even when cold.

Mine shifted better too for awhile, then the 2nd gear grind re-appeared. :(