Lowered car too much!!!???

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Just got back from the suspension (3 hr. one way drive) for an install of Moton Motorsport Double Adjustables. The ride is much improved and the handling much better too. But I'll have to reserve judgement until I get more seat time in the car. It was drizzling all day up in the Central Coast so I couldn't do much with the car after the car was slammed to the ground. Yes, it is slammed alright. Wheel well height is now only 26F/28.75R. I forgot what the OEM heights were. Can someone please measure your car for me? I think what happened was I asked the shop to lower the car 1.25/.75 F&R, so they measured and wrote down what the wheel well heights should be after the installation of the Motons but when they got to adjust the car, they thought what they wrote down was the original height. So essentially they lowered the car 2.5/1.5. Yes, I scrapped a couple of times driving the car back. But the car looks so low and means now, wish I wouldn't have to raise it, but in the interest of preserving the front splitter, belly pan, transmission, rear diffuser, etc. I better raise it before I drive the car again. Raising the car is easy compared to getting the new shocks installed (with stock springs). So someone please post the OEM heights for my reference. TIA...

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Approx:

F 28.250

R 30.250

- Randy

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
That looks real nice. That is where I want my car to sit. :thumbsup Mine is lowered 1-3/4" front and .75 in the rear. I don't scrape anything, but I still think it sits too high. Just take any dips and speed bumps at angles.
lowered02.jpg

lowered03.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bruce,

Stock ride height measured from the ground to the center of the wheel arches is approxiamately 28" Front, and 30" Rear. You can see my post here.

Based on that, Bruce, I think your car is 2" down in the front and 1.25" down in the front. For stock wheels/tires, I've done a couple of cars now at 1" down in the front and .75" in the rear. It's a real nice look (much more aggressive looking than stock) and is a good trade-off for street driveability. Note that any height changes will effect alignment settings.

If you want to have the height adjusted, let me know. I will have all of my alignment tools mid-week so I will have the ability to do suspension work and allow the owner to choose ride height as well as suspension setting (camber, caster, toe) - either stock settings or their own preference. Anyone interested - please PM me.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
It does look good! I think I'm going to leave mine alone though. I usually go crazy modding my cars, and then when I have to dodge speed bumps or put up with a heavy clutch, I get irritated and sell them. I like this car a lot, so I don't want to do anything to piss myself off! lol

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Hey Bruce, could you post the clearance height from the ground to the middle of the front splitter for us? Thanks

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Red Rocket said:
Hey Bruce, could you post the clearance height from the ground to the middle of the front splitter for us? Thanks

As it sits it is only 3 3/8. I'm going to raise the car now, and will post the final measurements after I'm done.

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Bruce, your car looks great. This thread got my curious, so I measured my car. In the front I came up with 27&7/8 F and 29&3/4 R. Seems my car is naturally a bit lowered already, but yours looks much better! John

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
looks great, just be very careful!

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Thanks everyone for giving me the OEM meansurements, now after spending all day today messing with the suspension, I now have the corners kinda even with 26 5/8" in the front and 29" in the back.
While on the way home from San Luis Obispo yesterday the car even scrapped on the freeway once while going over some uneven surface areas (with a little less than 26" of front clearance), I'd say the car is practically undriveable for the streets at anything less than 26.5". Now it is time to take the car out one more time to do some more shake down testing. :banana
Just a side note that the car weighs 3490 skinny pounds with Xpipe in and sub-woofer removed, front to rear is weight distribution is 43.5%/56.5%.
Kendall,
Can you do corner balance once you get all your equipment in? If so, I'll be interested in getting the car dialed in after the suspension settles a bit.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Looks great Bruce - But I need to come over and help you clean that garage....

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
HHGT said:
Looks great Bruce - But I need to come over and help you clean that garage....

Sam, help me build a few garages instead.
Just a quick update after taking the car out for a spin after messing with the suspension setting some more. The shocks are very subtle and I didn't scrap at all going up and down approach ramps. Yes, I tried a couple strip malls and gas stations in my area just to be sure. So I'll leave the setting for now:

Top of Wheel Well from Ground:
Front: 26 5/8
Rear: 29 1/8
Center of Front Splitter from Ground: 4 3/4

H

HHGT

HeritageBruce said:
Sam, help me build a few garages instead.
Just a quick update after taking the car out for a spin after messing with the suspension setting some more. The shocks are very subtle and I didn't scrap at all going up and down approach ramps. Yes, I tried a couple strip malls and gas stations in my area just to be sure. So I'll leave the setting for now:

Top of Wheel Well from Ground:
Front: 26 5/8
Rear: 29 1/8
Center of Front Splitter from Ground: 4 3/4

So Bruce does that make your car a GT42?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
HHGT said:
So Bruce does that make your car a GT42?

Funny you brought it up Sam! I actually measured the car and hoping it would hit at least 40.9 so that I could post I had a GT40. But no cigar, it is in the 42's. I just need to bleed the air out of the tires to make it a GT40. :banana

H

HHGT

HeritageBruce said:
Funny you brought it up Sam! I actually measured the car and hoping it would hit at least 40.9 so that I could post I had a GT40. But no cigar, it is in the 42's. I just need to bleed the air out of the tires to make it a GT40. :banana

I guarantee you if I sat in it I could drop it another 1". On the other hand, if you install this device (look at the attachment) you can drop it another 3" or so.

http://au.geocities.com/shgames/fat-woman.jpg

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Is there any setup that is adjustable from the cockpit without having to install monster pumps in the trunk like on the lowrider pimpmobile air bag cars? There is so much real estate development around here the roads are constantly changing and the repave jobs can be bloody awful.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Last model Lambos and Ferraris have them, I'm sure it can be done if one wants to invest into the development of such a system on the GT.
Or you can always do what these guys do:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5997809543276536715&q=lowrider+hop

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Thank you. What I meant was, something that could adjust the height of the ride primarily, not just firmness.