Do not read this if you like the OEM sub location

Aug 25, 2006
Yes; I know only too well that this topic has run several courses and to a person I respect and appreciate their position. I also considered combining this information into a previous thread however this is a completed process when compared to speculation so I wanted it to be seen by those with real interest.

I was one of the folks that spec’d my gal with the Mac (no regrets) knowing full well what I was getting and yet when it arrived the sub was just a bit more of a phallic symbol than I remembered when looking at the pictures. Initially I said; “oh well so be it the sub will simply be a quirk within an otherwise awesome gal”. And then ACRJoe made it clear that he was committed to the relocating of the system so I contacted him. It became apparent that we were on the same proverbial page. We both had a similar hit list.

1. No modification to the interior
2. No cutting of the OEM harness
3. No seat travel limitations
4. Sound comparable or better than with the OEM box and placement
5. Appear as though it could have been OEM not an after thought

With this being defined I purchased the non Mac center console piece. When it arrived I marveled at its simplicity and the quality of the leather stitching. In the same way as the Mac sub cover it is truly a very nice piece. Now with this piece in hand ACRJoe and I continued to move forward occasionally hitting a wall that forced us back to the drawing board because neither of us was willing to modify our hit list.

Well during this process I removed the sub to install the Ford Racing short shifter and simply did not have the heart to reinstall it. In fact I drove her one day with it out and the clock staring at me and I said “this relocation process has to happen”.

Finally the system was defined; I created full scale cardboard templates and boxes and assembled the system as if a completed unit and “WHOLLA” initially it met all of our criteria. The next day I had the final materials cut and prepared for the dry fit installation to confirm all that the cardboard paper dolls said would work. I called ACRJoe and said ; “we have a winner”.

At the moment I have completed the relocation including the finish work which incorporated a couple rather ingenious (if I might say so) slip in panels that I covered with a very cool black material and have mounted and powered the amp using the OEM harness with “NO” cuts or splices. I have full seat travel both slide and tilt. The only item that I await is the new sub box which I will have and install this week-end.

The picture shows one of the initial steps during the process.

I will share that the AMP is now located behind the driver seat and hanging above it on the 4 OEM plastic retainers is the OEM canvass bag that was there before the process began. The sub is located behind the passenger seat and once again the OEM canvass bag is hanging above it on the 4 OEM plastic retainers as originally designed.

Now the conversion process met almost all of the initial criteria and yet if one was to want to convert the system back to OEM (why) there would be “NO” concerns. The process would likely take a couple hours and once completed it would be as if “NOTHING” had ever been touched. The only required item that became an acceptable compromise was the extending of the sub woofer wires. The two wires going from the sub woofer to the AMP needed to be extended and yet if the conversion was to be reversed the wires would not have to be shortened. In ACRJoe’s case he is considering using the OEM canvass bags as designed but folding them in half so that there will be two hooks on each of the upper OEM plastic retainers however I elected to relocate the two lower OEM plastic retainers to a place above the AMP and the sub woofer and then have my upholstery person cut the lower half of the canvass bag at the OEM stitch line and then relocated the stretch cord fasteners at each of the lower corners. I did this because I hate the fricken net material that always looks disheveled and decided to have two cool looking OEM canvass bags that have the firm pockets. If one was to simply fold the bags as ACRJoe is considered then the ability to reverse the process is 100% whereas in my case I would need to re-stitch the lower fish net portion of the bag back on; NBD.

So what is the drawback one might ask; very simply the cost. The replacement center panel has a retail price of approximately $1700, certainly discounts are available and then add to this the materials needed and either labor paid to another or sweat equity will further this cost and yet when it is completed I suspect that most will soon forget the cost because of the wonderful finished results. On a difficulty scale of 1-10 I would rate the process as a 3. I would also say that if so inclined most could do it themselves with only moderate hand tools.

Lastly; ACRJoe said “Shadowman I am going to have to defer to you for bringing this conversion to term because it is nothing like I initially envisioned” to which I said “Joe; you were the driving force that compelled me to purchase the non Mac center trim panel and then kept pushing so I say that ACRJoe deserves as much credit as myself for making this happen.

I was sitting in my gal with all of the pieces in place and simply smiled. I am pretty fricken ANAL so from me this says a lot.

BTW..... my canvass bags will be modified tomorrow so what you see in the picture is with it folded as ACRJoe is considering. If you look closely you will see the OEM plastic retainers already installed under the fold of the bag.

All the best

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC00056.JPG
    DSC00056.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 634
  • DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I don't see the speaker.

(trying to keep it short) :wink

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
My panels are being delivered tonight at which time I'll begin the transformation process. I also plan to cover the mounting panels with material that matches the OEM storage bags and secure the bags at four corners (as described above). I also agree that cutting the bags and only utilizing the upper half is a much better way to go (I'll buy two new storage bags and tuck them away so indeed returning to 100% stock will be a simple 2 hour proposition.

I'll save the accolades until the project has been completed and a full disclosure has been made, except to say that 100% of the credit for technical creativity and expertise goes to Shadowman.

In sum, the dream of ridding this otherwise incredibly gorgeous machine of that mindless sub/amp appendage, and in the process gain precious storage space, is about to be fully realized.

:thumbsup

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
SLF360 said:
I don't see the speaker.

B/C the enclosure is currently being fabricated. You'll see it soon enough.

Aug 25, 2006
SLF360 said:
I don't see the speaker.

Thank you for the post

As ACRJoe shared the new sub enclosure will be completed and installed this week-end. It will reside behind the passenger seat. What was seen in the picture behind the driver seat was completed EXCEPT for the final stitching of the OEM canass pouches which is being done at this time. Once everything is installed I will post a finished picture of both sides.

The process is very straight forward and (IMO) the results are very nice.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Here is a picture of the driver side completed. The canvass bag was slightly modified as described above.

The pictures of the completed passenger side will follow soon. I was informed last night that the new sub woofer enclosure was completed and tonight it is having the finish work done to it which includes the external wrapping.

All the best

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC00080.JPG
    DSC00080.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 658
Aug 25, 2006
Here we go; the passenger side.

First of all let me share that I have and want nothing to gain from this project other than the personal enjoyment of relocating the OEM subwoofer. I will anxiously share any information so the conversion if you are interested can be easy and painless. As I stated in the being; ACRJoe and I have worked to great lengths on this project because it was important to us. It was well thought out and then was created first with full scale cardboard mock-ups and then the rough install followed by a fully detailed installation once all issues had been addressed.

The first picture is of the completed enclosure; the box was fabricated with a downward taper at the lower front to conform to the floor versus the bulkhead angle. Then add to this the entire enclose has a top to bottom taper so as to maximize the minimal space behind the seat. Once completed the inside of the enclosure was lined with fiberglass.

The second picture shows the enclosure mounted in place. Since I used the OEM nutserts integrated in the bulkhead that were originally intended for the child safety restrain bracket it requires that the enclosure be bolted into place and then the Poly-Fill packed in followed by the speaker.

The third pictures shows the system “completed” and being listened to during the time that these pictures are being taken.

The forth picture shows that there is no concern for the seat movement. I will share that the seat in the picture in tilted back as far as it can go and there are no clearance issues.

So what it worth the cost and the effort; huuuum……. For me it was; the resulting looks throughout the interior are wonderful. As for how she sounds; certainly this remains subjective and yet IMO better than OEM. I share this not because I did the conversion but rather because instead of the subwoofer feeding your ear and attempting to do an acoustical fill within the cab from the upper center location it can now better migrate through the cab and as much as you can hear it you can also feel it.

All the best

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC00113.JPG
    DSC00113.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC00115.JPG
    DSC00115.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Very nice. Who fabricated the speaker enclosure and will it be available for purchase?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The craftsmanship, luxury-OEM look and feel, and attention to detail are simply magnificent. I appreciate Shadowman for so selflessly sharing the details as the project was evolving, and I plan to make significant progress on my car this weekend.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Shadowman, ACRJoe,

Great job! The work you have done and shared with everyone looks absolutely great. Finally, there is a complete, viable way that owners may choose to eliminate the center speaker/amp panel. Once again, great job and pics.

The only required item that became an acceptable compromise was the extending of the sub woofer wires. The two wires going from the sub woofer to the AMP needed to be extended and yet if the conversion was to be reversed the wires would not have to be shortened.

If I read this correctly, only the single sub-output pair of wires needed to be extended? In other words, all of the input wires to the amp (pwr, ground, pre-amp in's, etc.) do NOT have to be modified? Thanks to confirm. Also, how did you secure the amp to the back bulkhead behind the driver's seat?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Very impressive. As an aside, I've been caught in the rain on several occasions. Never had to worry about sub/amp getting wet when opening doors (and you DO get wet when you open them.) You might want to add some kind of platic cover (ziploc?) to protect you when it's wet.

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for the kind words and the comments.

To confirm; the only wires that need to be extened are the subwoofer wires; all of the other harnesses remain OEM.

The enclosure was fabricated by a friend and associate that does other fabrication for me and yes he is very detail orientated. Even the side panels were recessed approx 1/8" so that the carpet inserts on the side became recessed rather than sitting on top.

The subwoofer is secured with a pair of 10mm 1.5 pitch bolts that go through the enclosure and fasten to the OEM nutserts located in the bulkhead that wwere originally intended for the child safety restrainst bracket. Once the enclosue is mounted the speaker is then fit into place; very easy.

As for rain or ?? this too was considered during the project as such the subwoofer is off the pad slightly so as to allow a bit of a air/moisture area and then obviously the AMP is as well off the floor. If a window were left down is there a risk; certainly and then as for the process of getting in and out of the gal in the rain; uuugh, when the seats are in place I feel the risk is minimal at best.

Lastly; the installtion process for the driver and the passenger side are the same in design with only the AMP or the sub as the variable.

Thank again

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC00064.JPG
    DSC00064.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The amp is in and looks exactly like the photo posted by Shadowman, except the storage bags are yet to be modified. It looks incredible and very much OEM. I'll start work on the passenger's side (sub location) later today. BTW I used 100% cotton duckcloth to cover the panels; sort of like a lighter weight canvas. I am extremely pleased with my decision to delve into this project.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Incredible job men. Anyway of duplicating these parts in particular the sub woofer case for the rest of us that are drooling!!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Gene Cassone said:
Incredible job men. Anyway of duplicating these parts in particular the sub woofer case for the rest of us that are drooling!!
I plan to take Shadowman's speaker enclosure design to a well established high-end fab shop in Princeton and have it duplicated. I will be certain to mention the opportunity to supply the speaker enclosure to a TBD number of other GT owners. Business travel precludes any action until next week sometime.

BTW, I fabricated and installed the r/s mounting panel and it looks awesome.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
One key question remains unasked, so here we go:

How does it sound now !? Having changed over the volume in the (unvented !?) acoustic enclosure of the subwoofer, changes the acoustic mass. Thereby the resonance frequency, thereby the soundcurve and acoustic cutoff ..

One thing, with the right music the current system sounds superb. If it remains or gets better, it's definitely an option that frees space, and view, and potentially improves a good thing there.

When ever I get out of the GT and in any of my Ferrari's, it's a shameful laugh, and you turn off the radio as quick as you had it turned on. Even the F430 with the acoustic high end system sounds crap compared to what we have in the GT.

Only the BMW surround system in the 7series is better. Significantly... But then, THAT'S no appropriate comparison in the first place.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Only competent with 2 tools.

Shadowman,

Outstanding, :cheers that's exactly what I'm looking for. But I can't do it myself because the only two tools I am any good with are 1. Ball point pen 2. Checkbook. Some shop (perhaps the GT guys) or ??? needs to step up and assemble the parts and be able to do the conversion. Then the mechanically challenged like me can get-er-done. I live in Arizona, if any shops in CA or AZ are interested in doing this, I'm a buyer.

Chip

Aug 25, 2006
ChipBeck said:
Shadowman,

Outstanding, :cheers that's exactly what I'm looking for. But I can't do it myself because the only two tools I am any good with are 1. Ball point pen 2. Checkbook. Some shop (perhaps the GT guys) or ??? needs to step up and assemble the parts and be able to do the conversion. Then the mechanically challenged like me can get-er-done. I live in Arizona, if any shops in CA or AZ are interested in doing this, I'm a buyer.

Chip

Those are great tools

Certainly I am willing to point you in a direction; pm me when time permits

All the best

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Huuum…. How does it sound when compared to OEM?

Well; let me begin by sharing that the new subwoofer enclosure is a “completely” sealed enclosure so the operation of the speaker is as OEM.

The sound of the system now that I have had several days to listen to it is fricken “AWESOME”. Even when we cranked the volume and the bass to the max the system remained crisp and the separation remained wonderful. When you consider that this speaker was integrated as both a subwoofer and a fill speaker it is truly very remarkable.

As I mentioned in my original post; the placement (new placement) IMO made all the difference. Having the sub and the fill speaker next to ones shoulder did nothing for creating separation throughout the small yet wonderful cab. With the new location side to side separation of much better, the overall cabin fill sounds great, and the subwoofer is doing exactly what there are designed to do. Creates a non-directional low frequency feeling and at time rumble throughout the cab.

There is no doubt that this conversion is not for everyone; some I have spoken with like the OEM sub location and I remain respectful and understanding of this however for those that take the conversion path once completed I am certain that the resulting smile will be well worth the $$ and the effort

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Shadowman said:
..... the new subwoofer enclosure is a “completely” sealed enclosure so the operation of the speaker is as OEM.
As I recall, your design also duplicted the 4250 ml (1.5 cf) internal volume of the OEM speaker enclosure.