Battery Charger

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Hi, every time I park the GT, I have to get the trunk cover out in order to connect the battery charger to the battery.
Is there something I can do to not open the trunk to connect the battery tender ?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You can open a window and connect to the power port (cig lighter)
You can buy a kit from Cooltech.
You can add a DIY charging port.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...trickle-charger-port!&highlight=charging+duct

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OEM Ford cigarette charger~ $90from ford dealer or torrie

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110920503929

Check it's not in ur trunk.

Wire will fit between door sill and rubber strip with no damage to paint, sill, rubber or wire....can shut it hard and it's fine

20ft cord so you open door and plug in and shut and ur done; I keep mine on side of garage wall and reach over while still in car and plug in.

My battery lasted 6.75 yrs and still cranked day i replaced

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I use a Ctek and have the wire running under the door...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Cooltech's Float Charger allows an external connection to the battery, which I find to be the best solution. The connector is mounted behind one of the vertical bars in the grill, using existing hardware, and there is a connector pin cover to keep them clean when traveling. To route the wire properly takes a bit of work, involving dropping down the splitter, but allows for an elegant solution which appears OEM.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but easy.

20121130_091259.jpg

20121130_091325.jpg

Oh...and put a sticky note over the "START" button to remind you the charger is plugged in before you drive away.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I use Deltran in the power port ("cig lighter"). I run it out the door (vs window) but only close the door one "click" (ther dome light does eventually go out after 5 min or so). This way it cant be forgotten as it is right there.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
My battery lasted 6.75 yrs and still cranked day i replaced

Same here. Still using the OEM battery in a marine case now to run accessories in my Sprinter van.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Cooltech's Float Charger allows an external connection to the battery, which I find to be the best solution. The connector is mounted behind one of the vertical bars in the grill, using existing hardware, and there is a connector pin cover to keep them clean when traveling. To route the wire properly takes a bit of work, involving dropping down the splitter, but allows for an elegant solution which appears OEM.

Yes, it is. I use a little different charger - same brand but different model - but the key to my purchase was the wiring harness and mounting hardware. It's absolutely invisible unless you know where to look.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I should also add, this topic may have been discussed once or twice, maybe 3 times or...... ha ha....

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. Very helpful indeed.
I'm going with the Cooltech option.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
That's how this forum works best, when you have a question.