Ford GT photo shoot at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Our local Shelby Club (mostly Mustangs) had a gathering this morning so I decided to use the opportunity to take the GT down to Red Rocks in Morrison. This is a world class concert location - many bands like The Grateful Dead, Stevie Nicks (when Joe Walsh and Stevie took a little trip to Boulder, check out the story about Joe's daughter), and tons of others. Really, this place is one of the most awesome music centers in the country. Even the Amazing Race show started and finished there in their Season 9 arc. The great thing about it is that is also a park - that opens at 5AM, and one of the most awesome places to take car pictures too. At sunup there is one place in the park that I've used for years to take car pictures. It's best in the fall or spring when the sun is in the south and you get a remarkable "glow" off the sandstone.

It's spooky, but this place is about 20 miles away, and I love it.

This morning I was there at 6:45. The sun was up but the weather was changing - I had about 1 hour before the clouds came in.

Here's the best.

So this is at about 7:00. The sun is just coming up so the colors are what you see at dawn.

First, I had some helpers. When I pulled up into "the bowl" I use there was a herd of about 20 deer muching on the grass. The herd split when I pulled up but these guys and gals hung around.

DSC_3273.jpg

Some people would want to photoshop these to adjust the color temperature, but I was there and this what at it was. I call it the "glow". The sun at this time of the year comes up and hits these rocks and it just feels "warm" even though the temps were only in the 50s. When I left home it was 51 and cloudy. The roads were wet and I couldn't see in this light that the car was actually filthy from road grime. As it got brighter I got out the Ice detailer and cleaned the rockers.

DSC_3275.jpg

Now I'm in the shade. It's still good light but there is no direct sun. The light is reflecting off the top of the rocks so there is still good light. I love how the Gulf Blue "glows" in this light. It is, I think, a perfect color.

DSC_3276.jpg

DSC_3279.jpg

DSC_3281.jpg

See the helpers in the background?

DSC_3282.jpg

By now the sun is coming up and starting to change the color. I think this is one of my favorites. By the way, camera is a Nikon D700. A few minor adjustments for exposure is all for these. No Photoshop magic, just what I would have done with exposure adjustments in the darkroom in 1972. Also note the incredible dynamic range - highlight to shadow - this is the perfect camera.

DSC_3288.jpg

More in the "glow".

DSC_3299.jpg

DSC_3300.jpg

DSC_3307.jpg

DSC_3310.jpg

DSC_3311.jpg

DSC_3313.jpg

I had some more helpers. A few years ago there was a huge bee hive in the cliffs. Now there are doves.

DSC_3318.jpg

DSC_3322.jpg

I'm collecting signatures. Bob Bondurant is one of Carroll Shelby's drivers from the 60's and now runs his driving school in Arizona (and now, Pueblo, CO). Carroll's wive Cleo also signed. I'm going to pull one of the struts over the winter for Camilo to sign :)

DSC_3329.jpg

These (and a few others that I didn't post) are with the clamshell up. I thought the reflection of the supercharger in the glass was cool, Sort of artsy craftsy.

DSC_3334.jpg

DSC_3335.jpg

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Tony, LOVE those shots!!! Wonderfully composed and wonderfully lit!!! PM incoming.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks. I got your PM. I have some shots of the area but I discarded them because I was trying to take pictures of the car and not the landscape. I'll pull up a few and put them up later. There is a thing that happens in places like this - our things are insignificant. The landscape is so huge. I'm looking for light not scale and the area behind and above me here is the perfect "reflector". But the shots I have can't even capture with a 24mm lens the ground to the sky from where I'm standing. And this is a little place.

We get red light here due to the red sandstone - part of the Lyons Formation which starts, literally, in my back yard in Lyons, CO. This "red rock" sandstone is world famous. But you do know that America The Beautiful (in my opinion, our real national anthem) is about the light shining on Pikes Peak?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Great pics! Red Rocks... I love that place.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony, LOVE those shots!!! Wonderfully composed and wonderfully lit!!! PM incoming.

Like I said, I took a lot of shots. These were the ones in the set that I tossed from the original set, but they do show some of the scale was off for what I was trying to capture. We are little ants in this landscape, and this isn't even big by some of the photos I have. The last one especially shows the scale. And it doesn't even have ground to sky. The formation slopes down and that is the second shot.

DSC_3304.jpg

DSC_3308.jpg

DSC_3325.jpg

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
By the way, I didn't make this place, I just happen to know that it is a cool place to put a thing and take pictures at certain times of the day at certain times of the year. :) Thank the master architect, not me.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
WOW!!! That is IMPRESSIVE!!! I'll have to make a trip south to see that sometime soon. You're right, the scale is immense. I didn't realize that they were that large right THERE, not quite like looking at a mountain some distance away is it? Wow.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
P.S. Dave, if you're looking for some photos for the 2013 calendar and you and Camilo want them I'll package up the raw files. I'm sure you could crop and 'shop these. Let me know.

Oh, is there a 2013 Calendar? I'm almost out of months :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

I prefer to compose in frame. I just guess it was the way I was brung up. For me the rule was if you want a 8x10 shoot a 35mm full frame. If you want a 8x10 or larger shoot medium format (for me 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 aka 66x cm. For some it was Mamaya 6x7 (2-1/4 x 2-3/4) and crop a frame out of that. So I was brought up with in frame composition and light. B&W was easier since it was lots easier to do "the zone system" in prints. I kept logs of dodge and burn for prints. I produced the photos for a Iowa state wide traveling exhibit of Iowa wildflowers when I was in college.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Oh, I never thought of it, but I guess this might be my "studio".