Jul 13, 2006
GT Battery Replacements / Definitive List

Definitive list: Mfg. / Part # / Est. $

Sears Platinum Part # 22850080 Platinum 75/86dt CSA 290742
$170-200

Odyssey 75/86-PC1230DT

Amazon $257

Optima / Red Top / Group Series #25 (not 34R, wont fit) / $130-185

Autozone Duralast Platinum group 78DT (mfg. Johnson Controls, parent of Optima) $139

Ford OEM / Ford part number # 5g7z10655AA

Last edited:

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Get Ford OEM if you can, it's the right size. I got mine 2 years ago.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Keyvan:

Thanks for the well organized definitive list.

Was going to take Shadow for her weekly ride yesterday morning. Disconnected her from the Battery Tender which indicated that her battery was fully charged and maintaining. (green light only) She would not kick over. Took the Ultima instead. Pulled battery yesterday afternoon. Load tester indicated the heart of the battery was weak. She lasted over 6 years. Did not call Shadowman or Shelby to ask if still under their warranties.

Reviewed many of the forum posts on subject and came to conclusion that although there was no complete consensus, the Sears Platinum, first on your list was favored by many. Purchased one this morning. Fit perfectly, no problems. All is now well in Shadow's world.

SUGGESTION: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DECIDE TO PURCHASE THE SEARS YOU WILL FIND THAT IT HAS FOUR TERMINALS, TWO POSTS ON TOP WHICH YOU WILL USE AND TWO TERMINALS (SCREW IN TYPES) ON THE LENGTH SIDE OF THE BATTERY THAT WILL FACE FORWARD. THESE TWO TERMINAS HAVE PLASTIC PLUGS. STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU SECURE THESE PLASTIC PROTECTIVE COVERS TO THE BATTERY, SO YOU DO NOT HAVE A DANGEROUS SITUATION WHEN YOU INSTALL OR REMOVE THE BATTERY. I USED TWO PART EPOXY FOR THIS PURPOSE.

Keyvan, thanks again.

Al

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Very helpful. Maybe a sticky?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Any downside to the Ford OEM? Do I need to check for a build date?

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
How about the Braille? They have a carbon fiber versions for you junkies. Also they have some very light, yet powerful Lithium batteries.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I bought a couple Braille batteries for another car a few years ago & after less than satisfactory results, I found out they were
re-badged "cheepies". That may not be true of all the batteries they carry - but I'd do some research before buying.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I purchased a 25-PC1400T Odyssey for my car and it was too tall for
the tub to seat back in position. The bottom of the tub hit the battery posts.

Had to send it back for a refund.... shipping on those heavy batteries isn't cheap either.

mardyn

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
REPEAT: Ford Replacement Battery---5G7Z10655AA Optima Battery purchased at my Old dealership in Texas City, Texas for $164.51 plus tax. Only way to go. Ordered from vendor by dealership in order to get a fresh one. Tomy

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I purchased a 25-PC1400T Odyssey for my car and it was too tall for
the tub to seat back in position. The bottom of the tub hit the battery posts.

Had to send it back for a refund.... shipping on those heavy batteries isn't cheap either.

mardyn
Snug, but mine fits.

Very happy too!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Diehard is up to $219. Pricey!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Jason, Was it determined that it is a re-badged Optima or Odyssey battery?

OEM is a bit less and fits perfectly FWIW.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Who can get me OEM? My local dealership? I thought I remembered reading the OEMs had old production dates. I could be wrong.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I got mine from the local dealer. It was "made to order" so only a few days old when it arrived. About $200 if I recall.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
My OEM replacement came from Ford dealer. GT labled and current date code. Took a week to make and ship from mfr.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Ok, I'll stop by tomorrow to order 5G7Z10655AA.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have used the "said" diehard. I think it's a BETTER fit as far as longevity is concerned, especially for cars that are not driven regularly.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is it true it is an Odyssey underneath?