New Fuel System (lots of pix - not dialup friendly)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Okay so we are almost done and it seemed like a good time to share this, as all of the components are in place and I think I can reasonable explain why we did what we did. For those who did not know, I have been having some problems with my fuel system, in particular, suppling enough fuel to feed the Whipple 4.0. I tried a couple of easy fixes that didn't work. So I just bit the bullet and did a full fuel system replacement. The new system uses a Kinsler mechanical pump and incorporates returns lines so that a pressure regulator can be used (instead of computer controlled electric pumps). This should be a more reliable system with almost no limit on amount of fuel that can be delivered. Which leaves me with race fuel and E85 as possible tune options.

This is the fuel pump we (me and my tuner Shawn Fischer) decided to use. Kinsler makes a good product and he stands behind what he sells. This pumps also exceeded every performance marker we were looking for.
attachment.php

The pump was to be shaft driven off the back of the oil pump. Kinsler helped us with methods to accomplish this in such a way that he proven reliable on other vehicles they have been involved with.
attachment.php

During the course of fabrication, Shawn was introduced (SEMA) to the people who make this race inspired fuel line connector. See Phenix Industries for more details. We decided to reroute the blow-by valves while we were working on the system.
attachment.php

The first step was to research what we were dealing with. Shawn spoke directly with several of Fords suppliers and we extremely impressed with some of the fuel strategies. In the end we decided to incorporate as much of the OEM pick-up system as possible. He area few pictures of the fuel cell cap and then the inside of the fuel tank (aka: can of worms)

OEM fuel cell cap #1
attachment.php

OEM fuel cell cap #2
attachment.php

Inside of fuel tank
attachment.php

This is where we found our first "AH HA" situation. One of the fuel lines inside the tank was installed at the factory improperly. It was about two inches to short. This caused, what should have been a nice gradual turn to be a crimp. We suspect that when the system was pressurized the line would straighten our but as fuel consumption reached its peek, pressure dropped and then the line re-crimped. That would explain the very wavy fuel ratios we saw on our last dyno runs.
attachment.php

The, soon to be new fuel cap, next to the oem cap.
attachment.php

Time for a new fuel cell cap. Main Fuel pump supply line - Breather Line - Main Return Line - Fuel Jet Return Line - Internal sensors
attachment.php

This was probably the trickiest part. There was just so much technology here that you don't see on most cars.
attachment.php

attachment.php

like a glove :thumbsup
attachment.php

Lines attached
attachment.php

back in the car
attachment.php

Next we had to get the new fuel pump mounted to the back of the oil pump. The plan was to create a new rear plate for the oil pump that would allow us to utilize the oil pump drive shaft and mount the new fuel pump.

Oem oil pump
attachment.php

Oil Pump insides - cool stuff
attachment.php

For anyone who has changed the oil pump belt, you'll recognize this little jewel
attachment.php

And finally the entire lego ship, disassembled. (I love this stuff)
attachment.php

Okay, so we are done playing around and it's time to get down to business. A custom plate must be drawn up in CAD
attachment.php

Then created in billet aluminum.
attachment.php

Placed on the pump
attachment.php

Then on the car
attachment.php

Assortment of lines, primer pumps, filters, magic fairy dust
attachment.php

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17166&d=1285634460[/imh]

[img]http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17161&d=1285634448

attachment.php

attachment.php

And finally tomorrow we plan to bring her to life. Cross your fingers, it will either be super badass or it will burn to the ground. :confused

Good times.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Dude!!!:eek

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Wow Mark thats some serious time/engineering/research ! I hope it woks like you want it to

Steve

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Great write-up! Great pictures! Simply awesome job and fabrication!!! The attention to detail just plain crazy! Good luck with this and let us know how it works out!!!!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, impressive. Both the build and the commitment to actually build it!!! Nice. I hope it's all that you hope it will be and much much more. It will be cool to see what the 4.0 blower is capable of with all the fuel it wants being available.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
WOW Mark thanks for sharing.:cheers

Note to self Don't follow your (flame thrower) GT too close.:bow

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Dude!!!:eek

:agree::agree::agree:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Wow! speechless. thats just some serious time and effort there, I truly hope they are realized.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, very impressive. Great attention to detail. :thumbsup

If fuel requirements are in direct relation to horsepower, how are the TT guys dealing with fuel delivery? Seems they might need something on this order as well. The most intimidating part is the amount of car disassembly necessary to make this happen.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
make sure to put some 80's music on when you put it back together for good luck.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Stock fuel rails didn't like being heated. They are made of a VERY thin piece of SS. I suspect Ford wanted the rails to absorb some of the back pressure from the injector pulses. However it makes them more delicate than aftermarket rails. If anybody has a hookup on fabricated rail please let me know, otherwise I am off to the CAD machine again.

Last edited:

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Will you sell it as a Kit when you are all done? :biggrin:biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Will you sell it as a Kit when you are all done? :biggrin:biggrin

The first one has your name on it.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Stock fuel rails didn't like being heated. They are made of a VERY thin piece of SS. I suspect Ford wanted the rails to absorb some of the back pressure from the injector pulses. However it makes them more delicate than aftermarket rails. If anybody has a hookup on fabricated rail please let me know, otherwise I am off to the CAD machine again.

Mark i have 2 sets of rails done. I did 4 sets @ once. I can do them for tall inj or short inj.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The standard size rails are all I need to get her on the dyno. I would love to lighten your inventory a little.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Mark i have 2 sets of rails done. I did 4 sets @ once. I can do them for tall inj or short inj.

By the way, I've been waiting for you to ask me how I got around the motor mount :) I didn't, we just CNC a new mount that went around the pump.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It didn't go well.

897648081_e41606728d.jpg

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I am so sorry man!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The pressure test showed that we had some pinhole leaks in the stock fuel rails so I'll have to order so billet rails and try again in a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Fubar, you missed it at the Rally. It would have been perfect to have your "police car" chasing the Matech car. This looks really trick.