IW 10% underdrive/2.80 FRPP Rear Exit Install

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Installing my FRPP Rear Exit kit then the balancer and Metco 2.80 upper
I have a lift but my Hot Street car has the Rear-end out so i decided to work on the floor which enough room for the job ,here is some pics

DSC01009.jpg

12154.jpg

Got a local polish shop to polish Rear Exit KIt for me
12136.jpg

12135.jpg

This made install a little easier
12144.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

It took a total of 11hrs to install the rear exit if you are going to do it right ,Taping, covering and removing the rear hatch and bumber and acc.

Removing the stock dampner was a straight foward process with standard tools and patience
12146.jpg

12145.jpg

12150.jpg

12149.jpg

This is the stock looking caterpillar balancer that is on all of 05-06 GT40 Supercars ,Innovative West is assmebling me a 10% lower balancer which will be ready tomorrow and i should reaceve by Friday and i will post pics of the install as well as the Metco Upper

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great post Extreme. It looks like work of art, plus I am impressed anytime an owner can do their own modifications.:thumbsup

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Is that red silicone sealer I see on the header side of gasket? Was this recommended in the installation instructions? I installed the same system with new gaskets and no sealant.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Looks like you answered the question about getting to dampner off without pulling the engine! That made my day!! I ordered my IW 10% and upper assembly yesturday.

How much does that stock pig of a dampner weight?

Which 2.8" upper are you going to run? Stang-Hi performance make one with interchangable pully's. Comes with a 3" and a 2.8". With the IW lower and the 3" you can still have a safe pump gas tune, then the 2.8" would be race fuel only. That was my plan.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Extreme,

Great Post!!! And I love it that your wife allowed you to bring the car in the house and work on the Kitchen floor.:rofl:rofl
Great Garage!! Can not wait to here the out come of this. Have you done a baseline dyno so that we know the difference?

Larry

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Very nice post, Extreme. Man, your car is soooo clean! Nice color combo too.... not that I am biased!

Next set of pics, can we get a little better inclusion of that poster on the back right wall?

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
What is the thinking of installing two smaller pulleys? The underdrive crank pulley works against the smaller SC pulley. What is the net change in pulley ratio?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Love the Buzz Lightyear beach towel floor protector. Makes working on the car a family activity. Great that you're getting 'em involved at an early age.:thumbsup

From time to time I still use a Power Ranger beach towel as a fender protector. And my kiddie's, now in their 20's and 30's, never fail to remind me that it's only "on-loan". And subject to immediate return to it's rightful owners. :lol

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
OK I see the other thread where the pulley being discussed is an *over*drive pulley not an underdrive as in the title of this thread.

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Is that red silicone sealer I see on the header side of gasket? Was this recommended in the installation instructions? I installed the same system with new gaskets and no sealant.

No just a precaution i take to header leaks ,any kinda leak brings up cylinder heat but im sure the stock or Percy gaskets will be fine without it .

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Looks like you answered the question about getting to dampner off without pulling the engine! That made my day!! I ordered my IW 10% and upper assembly yesturday.

How much does that stock pig of a dampner weight?

Which 2.8" upper are you going to run? Stang-Hi performance make one with interchangable pully's. Comes with a 3" and a 2.8". With the IW lower and the 3" you can still have a safe pump gas tune, then the 2.8" would be race fuel only. That was my plan.

I can help you get a discount on the balancer from Innovative West ,let me know .Im going with the Metco w/interchagable hub ,i like Metco cnc work and has work for me in the past ,you will be fine with the 2.8 and the 10% lower on pump gas .Its all in your tune .Im going to have a guy from Hellion Turbo systems come down and help with getting a tune with this set-up with 93 pump and a more aggresive tune with VP109 .Wait tell im done with mine and ill save you having to get a custom tune done .Ill will weigh the dampner later on today or when i get the IW to show a difference .

Last edited:

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Love the Buzz Lightyear beach towel floor protector. Makes working on the car a family activity. Great that you're getting 'em involved at an early age.:thumbsup

From time to time I still use a Power Ranger beach towel as a fender protector. And my kiddie's, now in their 20's and 30's, never fail to remind me that it's only "on-loan". And subject to immediate return to it's rightful owners. :lol

HAHA right ,i have a 2yr old daughter that helps with the misplacing of bolts

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
I can help you get a discount on the balancer from Innovative West ,let me know .Im going with the Metco w/interchagable hub ,i like Metco cnc work and has work for me in the past ,you will be fine with the 2.8 and the 10% lower on pump gas .Its all in your tune .Im going to have a guy from Hellion Turbo systems come down and help with getting a tune with this set-up with 93 pump and a more aggresive tune with VP109 .Wait tell im done with mine and ill save you having to get a custom tune done .Ill will weigh the dampner later on today or when i get the IW to show a difference .

Wish I had talked to you about 3 days earlier on the discounted Balancer. I dropped $845 on mine, but I really appreciate the offer. Mine already has a custom tune, but I will have it slightly changed for this new set-up.

Thats allot of boost for pump gas. The 10% OD will add between 2lbs and 3lbs in addition to an overdriven 2.8 which should give you atleast another 4 to 4.5lbs. You should be 18 maybe 19psi. Thats allot for pump gas!! Most tuners (mine included) will tell you 16 is about the safe limit for 93 octane. Thats why I was planning to run the 3" upper with my pump gas tune and only pull the 2.8 out when I had race fuel.

You also doing a MAFia?
Can you swap pulleys in the field with the Metco? Its really tight in there, I sure was hoping not to have to pull the blower everytime I wanted to swap pulley's.

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The I.w Balencer is 10 lbs less then the Stock one! That is alot of rotational weight!!!! Plus on the I.W the balencing weight is closer to the crank as where on the stock balencer is on that outer ring @ 7inches. Super nice piece it is and Ford buys these balencers for all the Cobra Jet races cars and ford Choose them over everyother company when they did testing on them! :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The I.w Balencer is 10 lbs less then the Stock one! That is alot of rotational weight!!!! Plus on the I.W the balencing weight is closer to the crank as where on the stock balencer is on that outer ring @ 7inches.

It is nice to know that the balancer can be removed with the engine in place. :thumbsup

Rotational weight is not equivalent to rotational inertia. The weight being confined to about a 4" radius. But 10 lbs saved anywhere is a good thing.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Over a year ago I installed an IW crank balancer and within a few miles the crank seal was leaking. I made the decision to put the stock balancer back on the car and return the IW balancer. Either the balancer or the seal was bad. The seal looked fine when it went in. I will never know what the real problem was, but I decided not to risk my motor over it as the upgrade just wasn't that important to me. Just my 2 cents.

Great post on this balancer:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9153&highlight=dampener

Last edited:

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009

I read that post. Lots of good info. The one thing that they did not go into which is my main reason for chosing the IW lower was the added boost. With the lower being overdriven it lets you up the boost by 6 to 7lbs if you use it in combination with a smaller upper. Big question is: will the stock blower perform well spinning it that fast or will the last couple of extra pounds just generate a bunch of heat? The weight savings would be a bonus in my thoughts.

I am currently running this lower on my wife's GT500. No problems at all. Its a VERY common upgrade on that car. I have not heard any problems with it in that application. Hope the same holds true on the GT.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Gulf - 100% with ya on this one..... Leaving good enough alone.

I referred to that link in another post two days ago about the IW....

and SAGT to the statement of....... "You should be 18 maybe 19psi. Thats allot for pump gas!! Most tuners (mine included) will tell you 16 is about the safe limit for 93 octane"

I've been running 19 PSI with the Whipple on 91/ 93 octane for over two years - Problems none! Tune came from Heffner and or Torrie, I can't remember but I'll bet that ~90% of the Whipples on the FGT are 19 PSI with 91/93 octane....

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Wish I had talked to you about 3 days earlier on the discounted Balancer. I dropped $845 on mine, but I really appreciate the offer. Mine already has a custom tune, but I will have it slightly changed for this new set-up.

Thats allot of boost for pump gas. The 10% OD will add between 2lbs and 3lbs in addition to an overdriven 2.8 which should give you atleast another 4 to 4.5lbs. You should be 18 maybe 19psi. Thats allot for pump gas!! Most tuners (mine included) will tell you 16 is about the safe limit for 93 octane. Thats why I was planning to run the 3" upper with my pump gas tune and only pull the 2.8 out when I had race fuel.

You also doing a MAFia?
Can you swap pulleys in the field with the Metco? Its really tight in there, I sure was hoping not to have to pull the blower everytime I wanted to swap pulley's.

I dont think it will make that much boost but will see and i do agree 16-17 lbs is kinda the limit on pump gas depending on timing .Yes im running a mafia on mine and is a must .Im more concerned about the belt .Once i get the upper pulley i will see if the pulley can be changed ,are u located in texas ?Somebody ordered one from IW as well .

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
I dont think it will make that much boost but will see and i do agree 16-17 lbs is kinda the limit on pump gas depending on timing .Yes im running a mafia on mine and is a must .Im more concerned about the belt .Once i get the upper pulley i will see if the pulley can be changed ,are u located in texas ?Somebody ordered one from IW as well .

That order was for me. I am in San Antonio. I have my MAFia on the way as well. As yours will be installed and running before mine please post your final info on how much boost. I was thinking 6 or 7 psi bump with both pulleys, but that was a guess.