Shadowman's AP/Stillen Brake Evaluation

Aug 25, 2006
So here we go

I received the complete AP brake system as assembled and furnished by the Team at Stillen and now over the next couple days will be integrating it onto Ed Sims gal.

Once the system was removed from the shipping cartons it was laid out and inspected and from strictly a hardware standpoint everything looks very nice. There are the typical caliper adapters which this case is more of a spacer, adapters to reposition the OEM e-brake so that all systems operate as if OEM, floating rotors, miscellaneous hardware, and the 6 piston calipers with AP Racing proudly embossed into them; no decals or stenciling for these folks.

Ed selected red calipers and wanted the rotors to be both slotted and cross drilled; yes Ed recognizes that a slotted only rotor would likely wear a bit better over time however the visual appeal of the cross drilled remains and since the friction ring can be easily serviced this decision made was an easy one.

Here are a few pictures at the onset of this process. I will update with additional pictures once they are integrated and also share my feeling regarding the conversion process and then once Ed has had the opportunity to exercise her he can share how he feels about their effectiveness when compared to the OEM Brembo system which by all accounts works extremely well.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC06658.JPG
    DSC06658.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 851
  • DSC06661.JPG
    DSC06661.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC06662.JPG
    DSC06662.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC06666.JPG
    DSC06666.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 729
  • DSC06667.JPG
    DSC06667.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 713

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
:thumbsup

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Nice presentation Bill, and equipment looks top notch as expected. Thanks for you and Ed taking this on and evaluating this important product.

Keep us posted with the results!

Mar 15, 2006
Get a Driftbox and do some 80-0 decels. Make sure you get some baseline tests on the stock system first.

Is the Stillen / AP system any lighter than stock?

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Looking forward to the test results.
And Shadow, stick to your day job. Your 'hand model' gig isn't working for ya'. :)

Aug 25, 2006
Get a Driftbox and do some 80-0 decels. Make sure you get some baseline tests on the stock system first.

Is the Stillen / AP system any lighter than stock?

I will share the weight comparisons as I move through the processes; I have the OEM, the Ford Racing, and the AP to weigh.

Thank you for the suggestion

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Looking forward to the test results.
And Shadow, stick to your day job. Your 'hand model' gig isn't working for ya'. :)

I am thinkiing that a pair of designer gloves maybe the ticket as I have taking pictures at all angles with the same; less than stellar results.

Shadowman

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Shadowman's hands

I think Shadowman's hands are ok model hands. I don't see them modeling watches but note the clean, well trimmed nails & not too fat fingers. A little excess hair but that can be taken of easily. In the automotive world Shadowman has A+ hands!

Ed

PS If anyone is going to the Historic Auto races at Sears Point on Saturday May 30 I'll have my GT there with the Stillen/AP brakes in the NorCal Shelby Club "corral" behind the Turn 1 bleachers. I know Ralphie will be there. Don't hijack this thread though. PM me or go the thread already started for the Sears Point/Infineon Historics. Thanks.

PPS I guess I kind of hijacked this thread anyway. Oopps.

Aug 25, 2006
** UPDATE **

During this day of reflection I tended to Ed's gal removing the OEM Brembo brakes and integrating the new AP brake system as assembled and furnished by the Team at Stillen.

I will write more once I have completed the processes and yet I felt that many would enjoy an interim update.

Removing the OEM brakes is painless and there is no significant prep work required to integrate the new AP brakes. I had to install their e-brake relocation bracket that allows the OEM e-brake caliper to be used with the larger diameter rear rotor. I also had to bore out the holes in the rear AP caliper adapters/spacers as they were not properly machined; this was not difficult process and FYI Kyle was kind enough to take my call on this holiday weekend as I shared this issue with him so that all future kits are tended prior to shipping.

FYI; the new AP brake system uses the OEM rear brake lines however new front brakes lines are furnished with the system.

At this time I have integrated the driver side and once I weigh the rotors I will complete the integration process on the passenger side and then I will bleed the system making her ready for Ed to exercise her.

Mechanically speaking the conversion process is very straightforward

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC06672.JPG
    DSC06672.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 594
  • DSC06675.JPG
    DSC06675.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC06676.JPG
    DSC06676.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC06679.JPG
    DSC06679.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 602
  • DSC06683.JPG
    DSC06683.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
** Remaining Pictures **

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC06690.JPG
    DSC06690.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 559
  • DSC06695.JPG
    DSC06695.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 571
  • DSC06699.JPG
    DSC06699.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 637
  • DSC06707.JPG
    DSC06707.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC06713.JPG
    DSC06713.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
*** UPDATE ***

Here is data for all to crunch and yet on the surface the differences are modest and also interesting

OEM aka Brembo

Caliper 10 lbs each
Rotors
Front 25 lbs each
rear 22 lbs each

Ford Racing aka Brembo

Calipers 10 lbs each
Rotors
Front 23 lbs each
Rear 20 lbs each

AP Racing

Calipers 11 lbs each
Rotors
Front 20 lbs each
Rear 23 lbs each

Have fun

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey Shadow, I'm just being nosey, but how many people work in your shop?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

How, many different hands do you see in the photos?

Aug 25, 2006
How, many different hands do you see in the photos?

LOL my friend

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006

Nosey between friends is fine with me

FYI I have a few guys that tend to task orientated work within the facility and moving parts around to the paint shop, the machine shop, etc. and then I have a couple guys that look after the website and the associated activities however I am the typically the "only" person that massages each and every gal from beginning to end; I say typically because I have another person, a close friend Noe that is as anal as myself as such when we are tending to BMW's he migrates through these gals at the same level as myself; on this there are no exceptions.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
*** UPDATE ***

The AP brake system as assembled and furnished by Stillen has been completely integrated.

The only integrations issues were as follows;

1. As shared earlier in this thread the rear AP caliper adapters/spacers were machined incorrectly and I needed to bore the holes larger; NBD and I am certain after chatting with Stillen that subsequent systems will not have this issue.

2. The securing hardware for the front calipers did not arrive with the system as such I have used OEM bolts to hold everything in position until they arrive; FYI the OEM bolts are simply too long.

3. The instructions stated that a corner needs to be ground off/chamfered on the rear upright so as to create the proper clearance for the AP e-brake adapter bracket; this is "not" the case as the new design AP e-brake bracket fits perfectly with no grinding required. I shared this with Stillen and they were aware of this change and are going to make a change to the instructions.

4. The instructions have you reuse the OEM rear brake lines however once in place with the Penske suspension which likely drops a bit more when compared to the OEM when unloaded they had tension on them as such I removed them and decided to use the OEM front brake lines at the rear as they are mechanically the same however a couple inches longer as such everything is now relaxed. I have shared this information with Stillen for their consideration.

Now I have to bleed the system and then from my end this project is a wrap.

Takes care

Shadowman

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Excellent prototyping of fit and form Bill. As we have all come to expect from you. The weight data is very informative as well.
Stillen should be very happy with your detailed and meticulous installation feedback.
Thanks for sharing. And thanks Ed for being the guinea pig.....

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Bill,
Thanks for the informative write up. I just received my Stillen brake kit. Thanks for the heads up on the slight modifications to fit the system. :thumbsup

I'll make sure I'm prepped before I start my install. What brake fluid are you using?

Aug 25, 2006
Bill,
Thanks for the informative write up. I just received my Stillen brake kit. Thanks for the heads up on the slight modifications to fit the system. :thumbsup

I'll make sure I'm prepped before I start my install. What brake fluid are you using?

Hi STORMCAT

I use either Motul or SuperBlue for all of the gals whether doing a typical flush or in this case an alternate brake system; FYI I also use the same within the clutch system too.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
*** And yet another Update ***

I made mention earlier that the hardware for the front calipers did not arrive with the system as such it was to be shipped over-night however ....

I chatted with Kyle earlier in the day and he confirmed that this was to be the case and then a short time ago I received another call from Kyle sharing that the hardware requirements are special by design as such no such hardware will be forthcoming but rather the OEM calipers bolts need to be used at this time which meant that they had to be cut.

Certainly this was not a scope and magnitude issue nonetheless something that needs to be known in advance so that this can be a consideration at the time of purchase and then if deemed a project worthy of tackling one has the tools and proper mindset when the system arrives.

In the case of Ed's gal; I have modified the hardware and the system is now fully integrated.

Let me reiterate that the system looks nice, mechanically fits perfectly, however for those with systems in their possession please make note of these issues.

Kyle has assured me that the future systems shipped will have these issues tended to in advance including the furnishing of the proper length front caliper hardware; even if they have to modify OEM caliper bolts in advance.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC06740.JPG
    DSC06740.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC06754.JPG
    DSC06754.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC06756.JPG
    DSC06756.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 302