• Total voters

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
So let me ask it this way
If you have BDS and want as close to stock sizes as possible and dont track the car...........what do you recomend

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Fwiw I just put Bridgestones on the car and love them so far. My date codes are 2011.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I put the Bridgestones on about 1 month ago, I was planning on going to new wheels with PS2's, but I like the Bridgestones so much not going to bother... it feels like the car got 100 extra horsepower as it now hooks up so much better..

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would get the Bridgestones no matter what you use them for. Good grip, less noise. They are a plus all the way around.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Another tire update. I up sized my Michelin pilot super sports on the front to 255/40/18 from 245/35/18. They are an inch larger than the smaller size (26" vs 24.8") and fill the wheel well properly. I reduced the fronts diameter to prevent the ABS module from faulting, but they looked stupidly small. When I upped the fronts the ABS module hasn't been an issue.

I don't want to comment on the tires just yet. I dropped the car about 1.5" with the coil overs and the alignment is way off. The outside 1.5 inches of the rear tires don't even touch the pavement. After an alignment I will make comment. What specs should I shoot for with the alignment? Street with 1-2 track sessions per year.

Otis

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Flat (rear tires) is a good place to start ;0)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I guess there is not much new happening for us. I see that the OEM GoodYears were in short supply at one time. I recently bought two rears made last year from onlinetires.com. $607 ea incl shipping. Ouch! But...they seem to be available from many sources...at even higher prices.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I guess there is not much new happening for us. I see that the OEM GoodYears were in short supply at one time. I recently bought two rears made last year from onlinetires.com. $607 ea incl shipping. Ouch! But...they seem to be available from many sources...at even higher prices.
The Bridgestones are so much better, there's very little reason to pay almost double for a tire that's half as good!!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Half as good? Depends on what for I suppose. I like the OEM size. I also like matched tires front and rear. I guess at some point I may have to like something else.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Half as good? Depends on what for I suppose. I like the OEM size. I also like matched tires front and rear. I guess at some point I may have to like something else.

you can come pretty close with the Bridgestones... GY arent even half as good.... just wait three months and try driving her one "cool" morning Xcentric

BTW - I also subscribed to the GY/ OEM thought for one cold snap! ............ then I couldn't wait to get rid of those POS tires...... never going back!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just replaced my OEM/GY tires with Bridgestones last week and will never go back. Ordered on Wed. 3:00pm and were on my front porch on Thursday 4:00pm., can't beat that for service. They look great and ride like a dream. Thank you Shelby for the advice..Much cheaper than OEM,s., I'll never look back. Tomy

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Add me to the list. Never go back to the GYs.

Lack of grip in the cold, rough riding and so Damn loud. Bridgestones not perfect, but way WAY better in these three areas.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Centric - what do you mean by matched tires? The most popular Bridgestones are pretty well matched.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
While the numeric size recommended for the Bridgestones are different from the OEM GY, the installed hights of the tires is exactly the same within wear limits. Once installed, they look very much OEM in fit and as close front to rear in style as the GYs are. IE same tread style for very different size. The match front to rear as good as the OEM tires do.

There is simply no reason to spend twice the money on aged, inferior tires. Especially if you plan to ever get the car out of the garage and actually drive it.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Centric - what do you mean by matched tires? The most popular Bridgestones are pretty well matched.

My front Goodyears still have lots of tread. I'd like to keep matching Goodyears on the rear until it is time to replace all four. It looks like one set of fronts = three sets of rears.

I haven't studied the Bridgestone specs. I thought the rears were much wider than stock, but maybe I misread. I don't want to go wider tread or shorter height.

Also, about the cold weather post...I understand the GYs are summer tires. I don't expect any summer performance tire to stick well in cold. IDK what else would put them in the "POS" category. So far...1,300 miles...I think they are great summer tires.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
My front Goodyears still have lots of tread. I'd like to keep matching Goodyears on the rear until it is time to replace all four. It looks like one set of fronts = three sets of rears.

I haven't studied the Bridgestone specs. I thought the rears were much wider than stock, but maybe I misread. I don't want to go wider tread or shorter height.

Also, about the cold weather post...I understand the GYs are summer tires. I don't expect any summer performance tire to stick well in cold. IDK what else would put them in the "POS" category. So far...1,300 miles...I think they are great summer tires.
You should also pay attention to the age of the GY's, if they're the original tires, forget about the miles, or tread depth, it's time to replace them. Unless of course you're just driving to a local car show, and don't drive too "spirited". If you do drive the car, and like to hit the smile pedal with some authority, it's best to have some fresh shoes on the rear!!!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The rears are brand new. Made 15th week of 2011. The original fronts...meh...the car was properly stored. I'm ok with six years old and they will be worn out by seven years old. ;-)

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

Except for the sizes, all of this is my opinion of course. Plus this has been debated to death, but I'll pile on... with photos.

I too waited until I needed to change all four before going to the Bridgestones, after changing I wish I hadn't waited. I too prefer the look from the side of the GYs as they fill the gap better even on a lowered GT like mine, but the rear view (which is the best view) is improved by the extra width of the BSs. In spirited driving the BSs react MUCH better when they begin to let loose giving the novice driver (me) much more confidence at the limit, whereas the GYs seem to just let go. Even when driving Miss Daisy rolling noise is reduced and they don't sound like you've slapped a basketball when you hit a bump like the GYs. Plus the BSs are stickier, especially in cool weather, and last longer under the same driving conditions. That coupled with the price difference firmly plants the GYs in the POS category, comparatively speaking.

Nothing will change the behavior (except maybe a TT) of your GT than a swap from GY to BS. Just don't forget to adjust your speedo params.
Edit: TT and maybe the Hoosiers which I've never tried either. They come in stock sizes I believe.

Overall approx height difference: ((315x0.40)/25.4 - (345x0.35)/25.4))x2 = 0.41"
Overall approx width difference: (345-315)/25.4 = 1.18"

The pics are a bit apples/oranges since the BS is new and the GY is decidedly bald, but you get the idea.

tires2.jpg
tires3.jpg

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Nice demonstration pics of both tires, really shows the difference, thanks.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Whats the car worth? How much are 2 front tires tires? Dont skimp on tires, it might bite you. Upgrading from GY to B-stones or Hoosiers should be viewed as a very desiriable mod!