Make sure your car has latest halfshaft bolts

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
This is just a heads-up to everybody about the Halfshaft Bolt Recall of last December. Make sure you know that your car actually does have the new Bolt Kit installed. The car I just bought had a halfshaft bolt failure last November and Ford installed their "latest" repair kit at that time. When I checked the Oasis Report from Ford, the car still showed an outstanding recall. Even though it would seem that the latest bolts were installed just 4 weeks before the recall, I decided to get the Recall Bolt Kit and take it apart to be sure. I am glad I did, as the bolts installed by Ford in November were NOT the latest version. Now the Recall Bolt Kit is in the car and I can sleep better at night. So if there is any question, and you are eligible to get the Recall Kit, please do it and check what is in your car now.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Thank you!

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Do you think I can just get the kit from Ford under warranty without bringing the car in?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Do you think I can just get the kit from Ford under warranty without bringing the car in?

Yes, that's what I did. Just supply your VIN# and current mileage, and possibly the letter sent by FORD outlining the repair.

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
The parts manager, when he looks up the recall number, can then print a preformed letter which you will sign when you pickup the Bolt Kit. This letter states that you chose to receive the parts only and absolves Ford of any further responsibility in the matter. My parts guy made it very simple.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I guess my dealer made a mistake and I ended up with the best of both worlds. They gave me the parts which I installed ( thanks shadowman) and then I get a nice call from someone at the dealer asking how my recent service was??????

Oh well

John

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Bolts?

I haven't had mine replaced as of yet. Why not have the dealer do the install?
Do owners feel the dealership may not do as good a job? I'm not sure I want to tackle the problem. Also, aren't you accepting some level of responsibility or liability by performing the work yourself?

Dwight

Apr 4, 2006
Jacksonville, Fl
We had a customer that was told by a Dealership that his clutch was bad and it would not be under warranty and it would be some stupid amount to fit it. He had his car shipped over to us and all it was was the half shaft bolts, so watch out for that too and this was on a bone stock car.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I haven't had mine replaced as of yet. Why not have the dealer do the install?
Do owners feel the dealership may not do as good a job? I'm not sure I want to tackle the problem. Also, aren't you accepting some level of responsibility or liability by performing the work yourself?

No one will take as good care of my car than me, myself, and I. Could a dealership have done mine...sure? But I don't trust anyone with my car much less working on it. I'm not a mechanic but I do enjoy wrenching my vehicles, I get more satisfaction knowing I did the work myself. Yes, I have to accept responsibilty for anything that could go wrong as a consequence of me doing my own work but that is a price I'm willing to pay. :thumbsup