What about a Tune Only?

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I did a search on this and didn't turn up much.

Is it worth it to get an aftermarket chip and if it is, would it be hard to install? Or would this just screw up everything???

I have been told it would add 50hp, but I don't know if this is true.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Call Torrie at UNLEASHED TUNING and he will lay everything out. He has a banner ad here. Several guys have just chipped their cars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You can do it, but don't expect to really feel the difference that much. You might, but when you're talking about adding maybe 40-50 hp on to a 575-600 crank hp factory car, you probably won't notice much. On the plus side, you can easily add it yourself, it will add hp, and they can turn on your fans sooner and make the car not run so rich.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Thanks Dave.

Where is your Avatar?

Gotta go, kick off for the BCS Championship. :banana

PS, Where is the chip located?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What, you miss my old avatar? :biggrin

In order to load the tune you just need to look under the dash and plug in the hand held tuner into the OBDII port. It's simple and will tell you what to do from there. Just like plugging a USB cable in and hitting "start".

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
You can definately get 40-50WHP with a tune and that you can use as a starting point for future modifications since we can email file revisions to customers if need be. Say if you go with a pulley down the road or need something altered.

I have great GT files if your interested let me know. We keep SCT flashers in stock 24/7 !

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
We had a SCT Dyno tune party in Atlanta last Summer. My stock '05 had a baseline dyno run of 519 RWHP. With the SCT and a conservative custom tune it did 559. My blue car baselined at 480 and with a pulley did 614 after the tune. Here's the shocker, one of the GT's had a baseline dyno of something like 365 RWHP (yes, 365), with the SCT custom tune it dynoed something like 520 RWHP. The owner got over 150 HP from just a tune. :banana. He lives in Augusta and has the only GT in that area and didn't realize his pre tune performance was sub-par. My bet is there is at least one more GT out there just as bad. Get a dyno and a tune. :cheers

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Good idea Kirby, there is a nearby tuner. I will check on getting a dyno and tune.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Make sure whoever you do use understands the intrinsic nature of these vehicles. Just because someone can buy the software to tune vehicles doesn’t always mean they have the ability to do so properly.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Good idea Kirby, there is a nearby tuner. I will check on getting a dyno and tune.

DO NOT - REPEAT DO NOT GO TO SOME NEARBY TUNER ...
Go and deal with someone who has tuned many modular motors, especially known guys like Torrie aka UNLEASHED, HEFFNER etc...
Why reinvent the wheel??

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I know Bony, but the guys that are nearby did that yellow Twin Turbo GT that was at Sema this year.

I just figured they could dyno my car pre and post chip since I am close to their shop...

But if you guys overall don't feel a dyno is needed, I'll call Torrie and check the price.

I trust DBK to help me place it, but I don't have much confidence in myself in anything mechanical or electrical.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If you can get on this website, you can do it. It's literally 1. Plug in 2. Push buttons it tells you. My only advice is, don't be a jackass like me and try and jump up off your back if you lean under there to look, or else you may take a crippling blow to the head from the door :rolleyes: Not that I, uh, did that or anything.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So, DBK finally admits to a Gurney, huh?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
JOE,
My only point to you and anyone else reading the thread is deal only with competent people. Easy to toast a motor by plugging in a lap top and play MR SUPER TUNER.
Cheers,
daniel

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mrs. Bony has covered all the mirrors in our shack with black cloth. Second year in a row.
She is a grad of OSU

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
My blue car baselined at 480 and with a pulley did 614 after the tune.

Wow, 614 rwhp without a pulley? That's gotta be some kind of record. Was this SAE corrected on a Dynojet?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Wow, 614 rwhp without a pulley? That's gotta be some kind of record. Was this SAE corrected on a Dynojet?
I believe he means with a pulley.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Sorry, I seem to be regressing with my reading comprehension. :frown

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Sorry, I seem to be regressing with my reading comprehension. :frown

I have the same problem since taking the Evelyn Wood "Sped" Reading course.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Where is the chip?

Ok guys, I ordered the SCT programmer (I thought it was a replaceable snap in chip, like the one I put in my old 911:confused) Anyway, where is the "chip" located as I need to get the numbers off of it. Is it in the engine bay?

I am counting on DBK's advice that even a electronic learning disabled person like myself can do this...:ack