Is the Accufab bolts the answer to to the axle bolt issue?

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I am going to have the Accufab bolts installed and am hoping that I won't have to worry about the bolts breaking. I have had the stock bolts fail once already. Has anyone had the Accufab fail?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
NOPE. Not once to date. And there are several cars running around with 'em.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I think this is a wise move. The Ford fix is going to be a better bolt kit than what they have now, but I don't see it being better than the Accufab kit which is very high quality and robust. The Accufab bolts have a shoulder and thicker washers. The other nice thing about the Accufab kit is the outer 6 bolts are reusable. The Ford bolts are one time use. No Accufab failures to date. I'm sure the only way to get the new Ford kit when it's available is to have your car break.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It appears to be the immediate fix, the Ford annoucement is forthcoming. Check your mailbox.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
My car was one of the first to have the Accufab bolts installed. I have had no issues and feel very confident that it is the best way to go for now. There is a huge difference between the Accufab and the Fomoco bolts & washers.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks guys! I am going to have them in by the end of the week!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Roger" the comments by Tony & Brian. BUT! We haven't seen Ford's, "blow the pblm outta universe", replacements yet. And you can pretty much 'figger' said replacements will be as close to bullit proof as any mortals can come up with...plus a little extra. (You can bet Ford doesn't EVER want to see the pblm occure again and the new 'kit will reflect it. Of THAT you can be certain. :thumbsup)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
TTY Bolts

From STORMCAT - "The other nice thing about the Accufab kit is the outer 6 bolts are reusable. The Ford bolts are one time use."

Hey Brian, as I have said many times the Accufab kit is fine and currently the best fix for those wanting insurance their car will not succumb to a premature axle bolt failure. There is NOTHING wrong with Torque-to-Yield (TTY) bolts and actually they probably provide more consistent clamp load per tightening method than strictly torqued bolts.

Other than you have to "throw them away" after each use (which from an engineering stand point you really do not have to do-after ONE use) they are perfectly fine. And in fact there was a considerable engineering effort expended on this bolt flange (this is Ford's flange not Riccardo's) to come up with the TTY appliation. Many aerospace load-sensitive clamping operations where precision clamploads are necessary are routinely specified as nut-angle-turn or TTY tighening routines.

I for one am driving my car and will have the new Ford CA kit installed when it becomes available.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
accufab installed

Put accufabs in last week in the red car. Safety wired as well. Put in by Macedo Motorsports here in Sanford, Florida. Replacement bolts installed last year by Ford were still okay but hope this will take care of it.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Yes I think that the Accufabs are the way to go. i just don't want to be stuck on the side of the road again with oil and axels hanging out. K P how did you safety wire your set up? I would like to do that as well.

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
For those that are contemplating running their GT's in the Indy 500, the Accufab axle bolts have a hole in them for safety wire.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
From STORMCAT - "The other nice thing about the Accufab kit is the outer 6 bolts are reusable. The Ford bolts are one time use."

Hey Brian, as I have said many times the Accufab kit is fine and currently the best fix for those wanting insurance their car will not succumb to a premature axle bolt failure. There is NOTHING wrong with Torque-to-Yield (TTY) bolts and actually they probably provide more consistent clamp load per tightening method than strictly torqued bolts.

Other than you have to "throw them away" after each use (which from an engineering stand point you really do not have to do-after ONE use) they are perfectly fine. And in fact there was a considerable engineering effort expended on this bolt flange (this is Ford's flange not Riccardo's) to come up with the TTY application. Many aerospace load-sensitive clamping operations where precision clamploads are necessary are routinely specified as nut-angle-turn or TTY tighening routines.

I for one am driving my car and will have the new Ford CA kit installed when it becomes available.

I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with the Torque to yield bolts but you hit the nail on the head you have "to throw them away." They're not cheap, and they are usually out of stock. I doubt there is anything stronger than the ARP fasteners. If the best of the best was used from the beginning we may not be talking about it now? Not sure if you've seen both of the original Ricardo/ Ford bolt sets but there is no comparison between those and the ARP fasteners.
Not here to debate the issue, someone asked about the Accufab kit. I have put in my own Accufab bolts and I've seen some of the factory bolts that have broke first hand at the dealer. If you want some piece of mind change them, if not wait to see if they break and get them fixed under warranty end of story...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Agreed.
ARP bolts are excellent products!