DIY: Ford Racing short shift kit install

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
This is a relatively simple DIY project that can be completed in 2-3 hours depending on your skill level. It took me a whole afternoon but I was really taking my time, trying not to scratch, rip, tear, or damage anything. Also, I was taking pictures and documenting the install for this DIY. I could do it in less than 2 hours now that I know what I am doing. It will take even less time if you DO NOT have the Mac option since those WITH the Mac will have an extra step in removing the subwoofer. Basic hand tools is all you will need. Well, let's get started!

Here's a picture of the Ford Racing Performance Short Shift Kit (Part # M-7210-GT) It comes with the shifter assembly, 4 aluminum spacers, 4 washers, 4 bolts, some grease, and some RED Loctite. I purchased the kit from WWW.DAGOSTINORACING.COM for $445. I have heard that FORD is no longer making them (as of 05-10-07) but I'm not sure if that's true.

GTShortShifterInstall029.jpg

Here are a few pics of the stock shifter assembly next to the short shifter for comparison. Stock is on the left and short shifter is on the right in both pictures

GTShortShifterInstall055.jpg

GTShortShifterInstall054.jpg

Most people like to start by using blue painter's tape and taping up the sides of the center console, e-brake handle, and trim around the radio in order to prevent scratching. I did not feel this was necessary except down by the radio where it is a tight fit. The magnesium components will invariably rub down there so tape this section up for sure like seen in the 2 pictures below.

GTShortShifterInstall034.jpg

GTShortShifterInstall036.jpg

Remove the shift knob. Use a 16mm open ended wrench to hold the retaining nut right below the shift knob. Hold the knob with one hand and turn counter-clockwise. Continue to unscrew the knob and also unscrew and remove the nut. You can take off the boot by squeezing it with one hand like a balloon while pulling up at one end. It is held in place by 2 wire retainers. I just left it on, it doesn't really matter.

GTShortShifterInstall033.jpg

Next, you will need to remove the magnesium Emergency brake surround. Pull up on the e-brake to engage it. Slip 2 fingers into the surround opening and gently pull straight up (VERTICAL) The surround is only held on by some friction clips and should not be overly hard to release. Below is a picture of the underside of the surround with clips exposed so you know what it looks like.

GTShortShifterInstall031.jpg

Next, remove the center subwoofer cover and trim from the bulkhead. You need to unscrew 6 TORX head screws. 3 per side. I used a T-27 Pulling the seats all the way forward will give you the space you need. Below is a picture of the passenger side TORX screws.

GTShortShifterInstall.jpg

Once the screws are out, just pull straight out on the top portion of the subwoofer cover and it will easily pull away from the bulkhead. Remove it from the vehicle. Here's a picture of the subwoofer cover and a picture with it out of the car.

GTShortShifterInstall049.jpg

GTShortShifterInstall027.jpg

Next, you will remove the leather panels that run along the bottom of the center console. These pieces are rather flimsy so take your time when removing them. They are only held on by velcro strips along the top border. Start at the rear most top corner and pry straight out. Once you get one velcro attachment undone, you will see how it is held on. Once the whole top portion has been unfastened, just lift up on the panel and it will slide right out of a groove that it sits in. Remove from the vehicle and repeat on the other side. Below is a pic of both sides with the panels off, and a pic of the front/back of the panels to show where the velcro is.

driversside.jpg

passengerside.jpg

GTShortShifterInstall048.jpg

There are 4 TORX-27 screws on each side of the center console, holding it down. Some of them are circled in the above pictures. They are a little tough to turn since I think RED-LOCTITE was used on them from the factory.

In order for the center console to lift up and out, the subwoofer needs to be removed for clearance. There are two main TORX-27 screws on each side, holding it to the bulkhead . These are circled in the pics below.

shure.jpg

Once these 4 screws are removed, pull the sub out of its position and gain access to the two connectors on the drivers side of the amplifier and release them. The sub can now be removed from the vehicle.

The E-brake should still be engaged to it's maximum vertical position.

Lift up on the rear most part of the console and gently rock it up and to the rear of the vehicle. You want to clear the radio so you don't scratch up everything and make sure you pull up and to the rear of the car. Once the rear of the console is up about 4 inches or so, you will be able to shine a light under the console to disconnect an A/C harness. Once, the harness is disconnected, you can now completely remove the console. NOTE: There is a hardline of some sort underneathe the console on the passenger side. Be careful when pulling up on the console as the free edge can catch this hardline and snag it. If you keep pulling and force it, you may do damage. I highlighted this hardline in the picture below. Also, this picture illustrates the center console completely removed.

hardlinecaution.jpg

Now, the shifter mechanism is exposed

GTShortShifterInstall045.jpg

Remove the gold retaining clips from each of the shifter cables by putting a screwdriver thru the hole and pulling up. The clips will come free. Below is a picture of where the clips are located.

GTShortShifterInstall058.jpg

Then release the wire retainers which are around the ends of the cables which attach to the actual shifter. These are a ball and socket type connection. Remove the wire retainers completely. Then pop out the cable ends with firm pressure. It does take a little muscle. Here's a pic of the end of a cable showing the ball joint and the wire clip in place.

GTShortShifterInstall042.jpg

Next, there are two fasteners attached to the shifter bracket which need to be released. One is a white x-mas tree fastener that you just have to pull out and the other is a black snap clip. Just undo the snap and release the cable that it holds. Now the entire shifter bracket can be removed by unscrewing the 4 large nuts circled below.

shift-1.jpg

The whole assembly can be pulled off. Here is a pic of what it looks like out of the car.

GTShortShifterInstall050.jpg

Find a 10mm wrench and unscrew the 4 bolts holding the blue shifter body to the shifter bracket. Red LOCTITE was used on these from the factory so it is tough. Here's a picture of the bolts that need to be unscrewed from the bottom (only 2 can be seen in the picture but there are 4)

GTShortShifterInstall053.jpg

Replace the old shifter assembly with the Short shift assembly using 4 new bolts that came with the kit. Be sure to use red LOCTITE on the ends of these bolts which was included in the kit. This will be a good time to use the supplied grease to lube all the linkages on the shifter that come in contact.

Lastly, remove the rubber grommets (4 of them) from the shifter bracket and replace with the aluminum washers that came with the kit. These will afford a more precise feel when shifting. I did not notice any excess vibration or noise when switching to these although the directions say that it may increase noise/vibration.

Now, the rest is just reversing the directions above to install everything back on. Make sure you test the shifter to make sure you can get into all gears including reverse without difficulty. You should not have to make any adjustments to the cables.

That's it! Pat yourself on the back, hit the road, and feel a significant difference in shift feel and precision.

Jeff

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great informative post. I will be installing one in the near future and this is most helpful.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This will be very valuable for the guys who buy the CF console Kip Ewing is producing.

Excellent post!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
:biggrin :biggrin Great write up Jeff I hope my diagrams helped you out a little !!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Nice write up... as I advised you, bandwith is at a premium, so thanks for posting the pictures off site. I am sure everyone will appreciate your assistance.
Bony
moderator:thumbsup

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
JDoc7-

If you put image tags around your links the photos should show up in your post. Just type "
" without the quotes. Doesn't use site bandwidth since your photos are hosted elsewhere.

I put the tags around your fist link and the photo shows up below:

GTShortShifterInstall029.jpg

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Great info. Thank God no engineer tried to describe this.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Great info. Thank God no engineer tried to describe this.

Yes, engineers generally are terrible writers, they rather deal with numbers than letters and diagrams and graphs instead of pictures.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Jeff, who knew you could turn a wrench? And the little yellow highlights are pretty cool too. I'm impressed. I had to order one just on your endorsement. Now get that thing over hear and let me see it!

Bruce

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
nice post......having just gone through this 4 days ago...I can verify that everything is as described....its interesting that under your center console is red..and looked painted...mine was silver......hmmmm

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Thanks Torrie for the diagrams, they were indeed helpful. Thanks Chris for the advice on posting pics, looks much better now. Fjpikul, I resent the comment on engineers, I use to be one until I got into medicine....just kidding:biggrin :biggrin Bruce, we had a blast last Saturday, wish you could've been there. There will be another big turn out on June 9th, we're heading to Springfield for a possible Dyno day or just lunch, joined by a lot of Viper guys, a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, Porsche 911 TT putting down 1080rwhp, some blown Z06's, and of course, our GT's. I will be going to Autobahn with Eric K. on Sept 10. We were suppose to go this Memorial day but had to cancel.

I hope this info helps you guys out. I've got a transcooler to install so see ya!

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

This DIY write up and pictures was great! Very well done.

I just did my short shifter install a couple weeks ago. I only noticed one minor difference in my install versus yours. My GT's torx fasteners were T-27, not T-25. They are close to the same, but, starting with the T-25 tool, I noticed some slop in the fit while trying to loosen a couple of the fasteners. I rechecked my torx set, and and found the T-27 to be a perfect.

Possibly yours were T-25's, but mine were definitely T-27's. Very minor point, but some of those center console fasteners are, as you mentioned, really tight, and a stripped fastener head could cause some problems.

Again, excellent write up! I'm sure future installers of this nice mod will greatly benefit from your efforts.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
This DIY write up and pictures was great! Very well done.

I just did my short shifter install a couple weeks ago. I only noticed one minor difference in my install versus yours. My GT's torx fasteners were T-27, not T-25. They are close to the same, but, starting with the T-25 tool, I noticed some slop in the fit while trying to loosen a couple of the fasteners. I rechecked my torx set, and and found the T-27 to be a perfect.

Possibly yours were T-25's, but mine were definitely T-27's. Very minor point, but some of those center console fasteners are, as you mentioned, really tight, and a stripped fastener head could cause some problems.

Again, excellent write up! I'm sure future installers of this nice mod will greatly benefit from your efforts.

Bill, you are absolutely correct, I meant to say T-27, thanks for catching that! I vote Bill for "Official Proofreader" of the GT Forums. Please change your 'custom user title' now Bill!:biggrin :biggrin

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
what is the advantage of a short shifter?

How does the reduced throw help with performance driving? Did ford stop making the short shift kit?

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
I hope this info helps you guys out. I've got a transcooler to install so see ya!

Great Thread !!!!

Very Informative and Appreciate your time in doing this :thumbsup

Now I just need to get to the garage this weekend and get mine in the car...

I have only had my shifter for 3-months just laying around.....

Jerry..

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Great post!

A few coments.
Is that a oak floor in your garage or did you park the GT in your living room????

Where did you get the shifter (i tried to odered one from 3 sources)?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Great post!

A few coments.
Is that a oak floor in your garage or did you park the GT in your living room????

Where did you get the shifter (i tried to odered one from 3 sources)?
LOL! If I had oak in my garage, I'd probably be changing it out every year here in the Midwest. Found the shifter through www.dagostinoracing.com but it was their last one. Can't really help you on who has one available at this time.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks for taking the time !!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I got mine from this place. It was on back order for 3 to 4 months! I don't know if they have any more.

http://www.capaldiracing.com/isell3/results.php?keyword=&page=3&category=Ford GT&action=showproducts

The price for the shifter is great and the people talk to you on the phone.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I got mine from this place. It was on back order for 3 to 4 months! I don't know if they have any more.

http://www.capaldiracing.com/isell3/results.php?keyword=&page=3&category=Ford GT&action=showproducts

The price for the shifter is great and the people talk to you on the phone.

I tried them prior to ordering mine thru dagostinoracing and they did not have any. That was about 2 weeks ago.