DIY: Ford Racing short shift kit install

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Now THAT is one of the best DIY's I've seen! Thanks for all the effort!

Rickymay

GT Owner
Sep 20, 2012
Katy, Texas
I'm the 3rd owner of my car and am not sure if it has one or not. How can you distinguish between the 2 without any disassembly?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
FYI for newbies, the guy that wrote this JDoc7, sold his RED car years ago. He no longer participates here.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I wonder if we could have permission to make a couple simple edits to the original DIY? To improve it?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I purchased Jdocs car about 4 or 5 years ago. Was a nice car and all his self installed mods were well done.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Going to try to tackle this myself over the weekend.

Question: no mention is made, but is it necessary to disconnect the battery? With all the gauge failures linked to possible battery issues, I'd rather not cut off power in fear of fubar'ing my now-perfect gauge cluster. Thanks.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Going to try to tackle this myself over the weekend.

Question: no mention is made, but is it necessary to disconnect the battery? With all the gauge failures linked to possible battery issues, I'd rather not cut off power in fear of fubar'ing my now-perfect gauge cluster. Thanks.

No.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I will probably be installing mine this weekend also.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Thanks Clinton.

I will probably be installing mine this weekend also.

Since you're at it anyway, could you swing by my place afterwards and do mine too??:lol

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Meh, I'm good!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ok this is awkward. Stuck on the first step. The shift know WILL NOT BUDGE. Holding the retaining nut and turning the knob counterclockwise will all my might and it just won't move. Any suggestion for a guy with zero DIY luck?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ok this is awkward. Stuck on the first step. The shift know WILL NOT BUDGE. Holding the retaining nut and turning the knob counterclockwise will all my might and it just won't move. Any suggestion for a guy with zero DIY luck?

I assume you mean the shift knob and you are trying to remove it by turning the knob. Hold the knob still and turn the nut with a wrench. It's a standard direction thread but you want to turn it down the threaded shaft so you will be turning it in the direction to tighten. Then the knob will screw off.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I assume you mean the shift knob and you are trying to remove it by turning the knob. Hold the knob still and turn the nut with a wrench. It's a standard direction thread but you want to turn it down the threaded shaft so you will be turning it in the direction to tighten. Then the knob will screw off.

Bingo! I was thinking about doing that but was afraid of over tightening the nut. Thanks Tony!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
After loosening the lock nut by screwing it down, if the ball is tight use a rubber strap wrench on it.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Almost there. Shifter ball cables wont come off. I'm waterskiing on those things and they won't come loose. Think I'm bending the cables but the joints are showing no signs of moving at all.
Any suggestions other than hit the gym and come back when I'm stronger?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Almost there. Shifter ball cables wont come off. I'm waterskiing on those things and they won't come loose. Think I'm bending the cables but the joints are showing no signs of moving at all.
Any suggestions other than hit the gym and come back when I'm stronger?

Did you pull out the retaining pins? Be careful they are easy to lose.

After that the you have to pull on the ball socket strait out. My fingers were not strong enough either, I had to use pliers with padding so not to gouge the parts.

You probably can make a forked spacer to place over the stud and then use another forked tool to pry it off.

You are doing good. You got the sub-cover and central tunnel out already!

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Did you pull out the retaining pins? Be careful they are easy to lose.

After that the you have to pull on the ball socket strait out. My fingers were not strong enough either, I had to use pliers with padding so not to gouge the parts.

Yup pins are out. Not moving at all. Have a lot more leverage on the drivers side cable. I have NO IDEA how ill get the one out sitting under the shifter.
So you padded the cable and pulled straight out with pliers?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yup pins are out. Not moving at all. Have a lot more leverage on the drivers side cable. I have NO IDEA how ill get the one out sitting under the shifter.
So you padded the cable and pulled straight out with pliers?

That's what I did, but if you don't mind fabing some tools I think a spacer and prying them off with a fork like tool would be safer from gouging point of view.

I did it so long ago I don't remember if I took the shifter out to get to the other one.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Another thing to add is the mounting plate bolts have red Loctite on them and a PITA to remove. You might consider hitting them with a propane torch to loosen them up (after removing it from the car!)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
That's what I did, but if you don't mind fabing some tools I think a spacer and prying them off with a fork like tool would be safer from gouging point of view.

I did it so long ago I don't remember if I took the shifter out to get to the other one.

Not in a position to fab anything unfortunately. I'll keep plugging away until my hands fall off at least.