DIY: Ford Racing short shift kit install

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
How does the reduced throw help with performance driving? Did ford stop making the short shift kit?
Crisper feel, more positive engagement, and of course a shorter throw. Don't know if they're still being made by Ford or not. Some owners have had difficulty locating. Great "can't live without" mod BTW.

Outstanding post.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks again for the post. I recently install mine too. I left the sound insulation off for the access cover and center console and didn't notice the car being any louder. This may be because previously I removed the rubber mats and am just using the Llyod mats.

Some things you may want to do while you have the car apart.

1. File down the sharp edges on the parking brake cable holder. I read a post that on some cars the boot has be damaged. By rounding off the corners you may minimize this.

2. Also a good to adjust your parking brake cable if it is loose.

3. Put grease into the cable end ball joints before a installing into the new shifter. A good idea to lube the rear ball joints too.

4. Adjust the shifter cable adjusters so that the rear adjusters near the transaxle are at the midpoint of their travel. This will allow you the most flexibility in adjusting the shifter cables without removed the center console in the future To maintain the original adjustment, compensate at the shifter end for any adjustments you make at the transaxle end.

Why do I say do #4?

I thought I would try to move the cable adjustments so that the shifter was more to the rear and towards the driver from the original position. That was a mistake! The shifter was harder to get into reverse and the spring return from 5 and 6th to the neutral position was slower. I didn't want to take the center console apart again so I made the changes in the transaxle side. I just had enough adjustment left to do it! By doing #4 you will have more leadway in any adjustments you may want to make. Also it would be a good time to do #3.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
[QUOTEWhy do I say do #4?

I thought I would try to move the cable adjustments so that the shifter was more to the rear and towards the driver from the original position. That was a mistake! The shifter was harder to get into reverse and the spring return from 5 and 6th to the neutral position was slower. I didn't want to take the center console apart again so I made the changes in the transaxle side. I just had enough adjustment left to do it! By doing #4 you will have more leadway in any adjustments you may want to make. Also it would be a good time to do #3.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll take a #2 and think about it....:rofl

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
GREAT POST!! Going to search for a shifter now..

BTW can we get some details on the trip to the Autobahn? How are you transporting your car? What about insurance? Other details...

BTW you have to record some video and post it when you get back!!!!

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
GREAT POST!! Going to search for a shifter now..

BTW can we get some details on the trip to the Autobahn? How are you transporting your car? What about insurance? Other details...

BTW you have to record some video and post it when you get back!!!!
LOL, I wasn't referring to THAT Autobahn! That's a little far for me! I was referring to the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL. basically a country club for motorsports. http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Ford GT's on the Autobahn

I see...

I had just finished watching (on Tivo) an episode of Dream Car Garage where they had taken a very sweet Z06 down the Autobahn..that got me dreaming of getting together with 50 GT owners and taking our cars to Germany to cruise the autobahn and ending up in Lemans in time for the race..wouldnt that be a sight!:banana :banana

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Just got mine today (06-15-07)... & can't wait to get it installed.

mardyn

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
You will love it !

Just got mine today (06-15-07)... & can't wait to get it installed.

mardyn

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Special thanks to jdoc7 for posting up the pics and instructions. I completed my shifter install this morning and went well and pretty much, exactly as described.

and btw.... I'm still absolutely disgusted that Ford put that ricey looking sub- woofer & amp in our cars... particularly in the stock location:thumbsdow WTH could they have been thinking?

Thanks again!
mardyn

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
It makes the car so much enjoyable to shift. :biggrin

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I just finished the short shifter install, and this DIY post was amazingly helpful. I saw there was previously a correction from T-25 to T-27 Torx in the three places they are used. Actually during my install it was both. T-27 for all the machine screws concerning the sub and its surround and T-25 for the console itself (the DIY refers to T-27 for the console). Not trying to be picky, just this DIY was so helpful this is my part to help make it perfect.

Also 13 mm for the bolts holding the bracket that the shifter mounts to.

There might also be a tad more detail with regard to the safety clips on the cable attachments. It wasn't obvious at first that they install through a tiny hole before the obvious snap onto the major part.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I also just finished the short shifter install......thanks to the detailed instructions posted ,the procedure was painless. I'm sure it would've taken me twice as long without the posts to reference and as well it would take half the time to do it a second time. Alas...due to an early snowfall I could only run the gt in and out of the garage but it feels better already !

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is my favorite mod and for the life of me can't figure out why it didn't come from the factory that way. I guess they have to leave a few bones for the parts division. :)

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
Not so much as a shameless plug, but to save people time and headache - if you want to buy a short shifter, I bought all remaining inventory. They are available through my website:

www.core-shifters.com

:cheers Thanks!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Yes Yes Tony....I did this for you!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes Yes Tony....I did this for you!

Cool. So I have your vote for Pres in 2016?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
As long as I get my way tonight I will vote for YOU in 2016 !!!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Just ordered mine...thank you.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Where can I order one from? The same website mentioned in the original post??

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Where can I order one from? The same website mentioned in the original post??

See reply #34 above.