DIY: Ford Racing short shift kit install

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Blurry pic of the retaining pin, in case anyone was wondering what it looked like out of the ball joint

I see your problem right there. You were using regular $15.00 Craftsman needle nose pliers. You are accustomed to using the $350.00 surgical needle nose pliers. Regardless, I am glad to see you were wearing the proper surgical gloves. I would hate to see you contract syphilis from your GT. :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
BTW - don't F' Up the ball joint (which is surprisingly easy to do) as they are a B!tch to source. Ask me how I know.

You can't purchase the ball joint alone as there isn't a part #. Ford wants you to purchase the entire shifter cable.

How do you know? Did you damage the retaining spring inside?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
How do you know? Did you damage the retaining spring inside?

I did NOT damage the retaining pin (not a spring). The ball joint screws on at the end of the shifter cable and the retaining pin goes through two very small eyelets, then clips around the collar of the ball socket to remain in place.

When I went to pop the cable off of the tranny, I used a large screw driver as the fulcrum. I did not notice there was a retaining pin (I thought the ball joint used an internal spring to create tension, thus keeping the ball joint attached to the tranny (who needs an instruction manual!?)). So when I popped it off, the retaining pin basically sheared from the ball socket eyelet outwards.

I went looking for a ball socket replacement in the correct size everywhere without any luck. It just so happened that ChrisA was screwing around with his Lambo door lifts at that time and had one of lifts out. I contacted the company - Bansbach Easylift - and was able to order replacements from them.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I did NOT damage the retaining pin (not a spring). The ball joint screws on at the end of the shifter cable and the retaining pin goes through two very small eyelets, then clips around the collar of the ball socket to remain in place.

When I went to pop the cable off of the tranny, I used a large screw driver as the fulcrum. I did not notice there was a retaining pin (I thought the ball joint used an internal spring to create tension, thus keeping the ball joint attached to the tranny (who needs an instruction manual!?)). So when I popped it off, the retaining pin basically sheared from the ball socket eyelet outwards.

I went looking for a ball socket replacement in the correct size everywhere without any luck. It just so happened that ChrisA was screwing around with his Lambo door lifts at that time and had one of lifts out. I contacted the company - Bansbach Easylift - and was able to order replacements from them.

Good info. Do you have a part number? I can see how one could mangle them up pretty badly by either 1) trying to free them from the shifter or 2) trying to get a seized lock nut loose. I don't ever plan on going back under the console, but in case, it would be good to know where to source a replacement ball joint.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
... it would be good to know where to source a replacement ball joint.

Excellent point. It would be nice to have a list of equivalent parts (or available subcomponents for which Ford wants to replace a whole assembly). Separate topic and probably database though.

As an example, I'm looking for the connector that plugs into the wiring harness for the Macintosh radio. If I could find one I could hand wire the pins to mate with an aftermarket radio. I will not "tap" into the harness with the clip things on or solder.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Excellent point. It would be nice to have a list of equivalent parts (or available subcomponents for which Ford wants to replace a whole assembly). Separate topic and probably database though.

As an example, I'm looking for the connector that plugs into the wiring harness for the Macintosh radio. If I could find one I could hand wire the pins to mate with an aftermarket radio. I will not "tap" into the harness with the clip things on or solder.

Great idea. I posted a wiper refill a while back. It would be good to add a sticky with all of the part number on it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I don't do much wrenching on my GT other than brakes & wheels. However, I did my own Ford short shifter install. If a dentist can do it anyone can!

Ed

PS However, I have Shadowman 30 minutes away so it's kind of unfair.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Good info. Do you have a part number? I can see how one could mangle them up pretty badly by either 1) trying to free them from the shifter or 2) trying to get a seized lock nut loose. I don't ever plan on going back under the console, but in case, it would be good to know where to source a replacement ball joint.

Here is their webpage - http://www.bansbach.de/com/gasfedern/kugelpfannen.html though the correct one is not listed as I had to talk through my requirements with their sales rep. At that time, I learned (and have since forgotten) more than I ever thought I would need to know about ball sockets and how they are measured.

The correct part# is - J4, M6 Thread 25mm Elbow Joint

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Here is their webpage - http://www.bansbach.de/com/gasfedern/kugelpfannen.html though the correct one is not listed as I had to talk through my requirements with their sales rep. At that time, I learned (and have since forgotten) more than I ever thought I would need to know about ball sockets and how they are measured.

The correct part# is - J4, M6 Thread 25mm Elbow Joint

I don't see that part listed on the page. :confused

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
though the correct one is not listed as I had to talk through my requirements with their sales rep.

I don't see that part listed on the page. :confused

There you go:)

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
Good post, now I only need the short shifter. Can anyone please tell me where to buy one ?

https://core-shifters.com/collections/ford-gt

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I see your problem right there. You were using regular $15.00 Craftsman needle nose pliers. You are accustomed to using the $350.00 surgical needle nose pliers. Regardless, I am glad to see you were wearing the proper surgical gloves. I would hate to see you contract syphilis from your GT. :lol

LOL. Just saw this reply. While the gloves may seem silly to some, I now DEEPLY regret not wearing them through the ENTIRE disassembly/reinstall process. At some point, I got a carbon fiber or fiberglass splinter lodged under the skin of my long finger. By the time I had realized the pain was from a splinter and not just a blister, it had burrowed its way deep enough that I couldn't just pluck it out. Soooooo......had to do a little self-surgery at my desk and fish it out. That was....um......not something I want to ever do again.

So, I wholeheartedly endorse wearing hand protection for this project:)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
WORD OF CAUTION:
After buttoning up the console following my adjustment of the shifter cables, I attempted to reinstall Andrew's shifter bezel. I tried everything and couldn't get it to work. It appeared that the one of the linkages was pivoting higher than it normally should. After discussing my problems with Shadowman, he enlightened me to the fact that YOU CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT ADJUST THE SHIFTER CABLES WITHOUT THE SPECIAL CABLE ADJUSTMENT TOOL THAT ATTACHES TO THE SHIFTER ASSEMBLY. Adjustment of the the cables without this tool can result in damage to the transaxle. Furthermore, this tool cannot be used on the short shifter. Fortunately, I have not driven or even started the car since I made these adjustments. But now, I will have to remove everything again, reinstall the stock shifter, make the cable adjustments with the tool, and then reinstall the SSK and the console/panels/Mac, etc. If any of that previously noted slop remains, then adjustments will need to be made at the transaxle side.

So, any of you that decide to tackle this yourself, DO NOT adjust the cables unless you are in possession of this tool.

I'm at the end of my rope with this project and will have to enlist professional help to get this done. Thanks again to Bill for the help and insight.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Guess I do not understand why the cables needed to be adjusted at all. If they were correctly adjusted before the short shifter install they will still be correct after. The throws on the cables are the same with both shifters. If they were out of adjustment before, installing the shifter should not be done until corrected. Neither will effect play or slop in the cables. There should be none.

Really this is getting or gotten out of hand. Other than the tiny clips that hold the cables on the shifter, this is an easy DIY install project and was intended as such by Ford Racing. Just don't go mucking with things that are not effected by the install.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Guess I do not understand why the cables needed to be adjusted at all. If they were correctly adjusted before the short shifter install they will still be correct after. The throws on the cables are the same with both shifters. If they were out of adjustment before, installing the shifter should not be done until corrected. Neither will effect play or slop in the cables. There should be none.

Really this is getting or gotten out of hand. Other than the tiny clips that hold the cables on the shifter, this is an easy DIY install project and was intended as such by Ford Racing. Just don't go mucking with things that are not effected by the install.

Trust me, if I didn't have to do it, I wouldn't have. Wasn't looking for things to tinker with; I wanted to get in and out as soon as possible. And I agree with you in that nothing should have changed aside from the throw of the shifter. But as with most things car related and DIY's with me, I assure you that was NOT the case. Removal of the retaining clips was easily one of the more simple tasks in this project. Despite following the instructions to the T, there was significant play in the shifter after everything was reinstalled and buttoned up. Removing the console a second time and shortening the cable eliminated this problem, but I, nor anyone else in this thread, knew that a special tool is needed before any adjustments should be made.

So, going on to a third time, I have neither the time or inclination to do this again, particularly if the transaxle could be damaged if the cables are not properly adjusted.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Note that all of the images in the original post and some others have fallen prey to the draconian Photobucket third party hosting police and are no longer visible unless the owner ponies up $400/year. Mine will start dropping too.