Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe - Continuation Series, Need your Opinion!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I am indirectly involved in a project that is of great interest to me, and perhaps to other members of the forum. The Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, not to be confused with the re-worked Superformance "Brock" Coupe is being offered in a limited number of 10 cars. I would love to get the Forum's opinions on this car. Please read the description below. I would love to hear your opinions on the following:

1. How much would you pay? $290,000? $250,000? $300,000? $350,000?
2. Would you buy one?
3. What type of information would you need to know before considering buying one.

Read about the car below:

Until now, all of the Cobra variants originally offered by Shelby American Automobiles during the 1960’s are available. Absent from line-up is the Cobra Daytona Coupe…until now. The original Daytona Coupe was crated in the 1963 as “The American Sportcar” designed to beat Ferrari on the road courses of Europe, and eventually in the USA. Capturing several championships in that era, the Daytona Coupe earned a reputation for being light, nimble, and very aerodynamic compared to many of its contemporary competitors and its own sibling, the Cobra Roadster. Dan Gurney, A.J. Foyt, and Bob Bondurant were among the notable hot-shoes who drove the Daytona to fame during the 1960’s. In 1965, Shelby American won the World Manufacturer’s Championship. A feat that has gone unmatched by any other American Company to this day. Only six original cars were built and raced in the 1960’s. Many have attempted to replicate this unique sports car, but none can match the level of originality and form that is now offered by the originator, Shelby Automobiles. Only ten “continuation” series Daytona Coupes will be built and offered for sale. The construction and design of the body, chassis, and drive-train are all taken directly from the original drawings, jigs and bucks used to fabricate the original race cars in the 19060’s. Today, however, materials technologies and manufacturing quality process improvements can guarantee that every new Daytona Coupe is delivered with to each new owner with the highest degree of precision and quality engineering. Unlike many replicas or imitators, the Shelby Daytona Coupe is manufactured under the strict supervision of Mr. Shelby and Shelby Automobiles. Each automobile is assigned an official Shelby “CSX” number (Numbers CSX 7060 – 7069) A manufacturer’s statement of origin is issued for each automobile from Shelby Automobile is signed by Mr. Shelby. Ever Coupe manufactured will be listed in the official Shelby Registry.

Chassis:

 Three-inch round-tube frame fabricated by Shelby Automobile
 Aluminum body construction (Fiberglass is used on Chassis number 7060 and for number 7061 that will be used for selected vintage racing events)
 Suspension: Shelby brand components with traditional transverse leaf springs and Spax shock absorbers.
 Brakes: Solid disc Girling or vented-rotor Baer, per customer specification
 Wheels: Trigo, original spec aluminum racing wheels
 Tires: Goodyear

Drive-Train:

 Engine: 302 CI Ford Motorsport block, over-bored to 306 cubic inches.
 Heads: Roush, iron heads
 Carburetion: Holley 750 cfm four-barrel double pumper
 Transmission: Aluminum four-speed top-loader
 Rear-end: Salisbury aluminum differential (3.54:1 ratio)

Options:

 Air conditioning
 Instrumentation and gauge options per customer request
 Spare tire
 Weber carburetors

So...What do you think?

Attachments

• Daytona Coupe Small.jpg
    Daytona Coupe Small.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,582

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Simply put (and I'm a simple kinda guy), it all boils down to do YOU want one and what will YOU pay for it.

Life's too short to over analyze whether or not to purchase something as unique as one of these! If you WANT IT - GO FOR IT!:thumbsup

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Simply put (and I'm a simple kinda guy), it all boils down to do YOU want one and what will YOU pay for it.

Life's too short to over analyze whether or not to purchase something as unique as one of these! If you WANT IT - GO FOR IT!:thumbsup

You make a very good point, however my role in this project is not as "buyer" but as a consultant. I am conducting some market research to establish the level of interest, pricing sensitivity, etc. I have found that there is one replica produced by McClusky that is very true to form, and runs about $350,000. I believe that that price is too high. The superformance car, on the other hand is very different, as it is a larger, more modernized "interpretation" of the Daytona Coupe, and costs about $120,000 or more depending on motor.

Yes, I want one, however, there may not be enough of them to go around with only ten available and about four spoken for so far.

Another question I have is, should these cars all be sold with aluminum bodies? Should a cheaper fiberglass/carbon fiber version be offered? - If so, would glass take away from the originality of the 1960's era aluminum bodied race car?

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
1. How much would you pay? $290,000? $250,000? $300,000? $350,000?
2. Would you buy one?
3. What type of information would you need to know before considering buying one.

I'm a little too far out of the loop to have a meaningful view for you - however I do buy exotic and collectable cars.

My instinct says it should be around the Bentley GT price if it's to be in produced in any quantity. If it's in a lower quantity, I would put it about 20% lower than a Vanquish. I'm using cars as the currency here as I believe the price translates better.

I wouldn't buy one because this car doesn't 'resonate' in Europe as much as it does in the US. However this view can be discounted - you wouldn't be after a European market as a primary target.

I'd want to know that it's a one off - even though I wouldn't be interested in resale, customers want to know that it's not going to depreciate by being in a market swamped by them. So a limited volume will give it addition sizzle. BHP, torque and other performance data would be vital. I'd want to know what the motoring press thought - I don't want to drive a car that is not loved.

I could go on.....! Is this of any help?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Well if you are just doing market research, I'll chime in. Although I consider myself a big Shelby fan, the Daytona Coupe never inspired me. I would say your market is much smaller than say the AC Cobra or GT40.

As Shelby's go, this would be on the lower in of my list of "must haves."

Let me just say that it is a beautiful car and I wish you the best of luck. If your only making 10 you can get almost whatever you want.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Tim, If Ford is not going to manufacture the GR-1, I would be interested. The most important question for me is how will it compare to the ones made by Mike McCluskey and when will a prototype be finished to confirm the anticipated answer. The only "problem" with a McCluskey car is the leadtime. When I last checked, the price was $300,000, which provided a piece of absolute automotive perfection with most of the options you reference. What is the warranty and leadtime, and what are Shelby's financial penalties for missing the promised delivery date.

gamera11

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2006
Kansas City MO
A continuation coupe car has been done already with limited success. They have traded in the 300,000.00 range I believe. Some have popped up on Ebay over the years. McClusky was involved in that one.Not to be confused with the complete cars or vintage Cobras McClusky has upgraded with coupe bodies. I think Paul Andrews was involved along with McClusky in the continuation cars and they did a few until Shelby changed the licensing agreement or something. Another Shelby Cobra dealer (Lee ? can't think of the name but nice guy back east) has had a 7000 series one on the drawing board for a number of years and has produced one or two with Shelby's blessing. I think they authorized a low number 7 or 12?. The originals were hot to drive in and not street user friendly. When you start adding A/C ,radio ,modern brakes etc. You have got another Brock superperformance car. It would be a hard sell I think. but cool to have. My 2 cents. BG

gamera11

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2006
Kansas City MO
I forgot to mention the Brock coupe superformance car is Shelby licensed now too.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Perhaps I'm missing something here with respect to your question of "what should I pay?" Hasn't Shelby (as the manufacturer and selling dealer of these proposed 10 "continuation" Daytona Coupes) issued a base MSRP as well as priced out the options such as A/C, gauges, etc? That is what you will pay for one regardless of what you or any of us think it's worth.

I also don't think Shelby can or would substitute CF or fibreglass for the original type aluminum body panels and still be able to call it a "continuation" car. usmcfred

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Another question I have is, should these cars all be sold with aluminum bodies? Should a cheaper fiberglass/carbon fiber version be offered? - If so, would glass take away from the originality of the 1960's era aluminum bodied race car?

If they make this car out of fiberglass - IT BECOMES A CORVETTE.
Aluminum is the ONLY material to use, or it's not a 60's "genny" car.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The Daytona Coupes that McCluskey built on CSX 2000 chasis are the cat's meow. Replicas are not my thing. Tribute cars like our Ford GT which are another beast all together can be interesting. Superformance already found out how limited the market is for the Brock Coupe which is a well executed beast and what I would call a tribute car.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
More info to chew on.

The Daytona Coupes that McCluskey built on CSX 2000 chasis are the cat's meow. Replicas are not my thing. Tribute cars like our Ford GT which are another beast all together can be interesting. Superformance already found out how limited the market is for the Brock Coupe which is a well executed beast and what I would call a tribute car.

Bony, you're right. The Superformance is certainly more of a tribute car. This car is not a replica, or a tribute car, it is a "continuation car" with a real CSX number from Shelby. The McClusky cars are not Shelby continuation cars with real Shelby VIN numbers, or pedigree, they are "REPLICAS". The originality of the car is preserved as the plans are taken directly from the original drawings and plans, not new designs. Hope this helps clarify some of the other opinions expressed! Thanks to all who have posted so far, lots of great input, your opinions are highly valued!

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
Is Carroll Shelby making it, Shelby America or some other company? If it's Mr. Shelby's direct involment, then it will bring more money. If it's SA, then maybe a $100,000-$120,000 car. With the specs you listed, if it's someone else just making replicas, maybe $50,000 to $80,000 for a fiberglass version. Add $15-20k for an aluminum body.

Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe "Continuation" is in my humble opinion still just a replica. "Continuation" is the word auction houses like to use to get bidders to feel better about buying a fake. Real car guys know this and soon you will see many fake hemi's (recreations, continutations, replicas, tribute ---- all equal FAKE), Z-28's, L-88's, etc fall from auction house grace.

Don't get me wrong, I like fakes if they are done right. It gives guys like me the chance to own a car much like the orginal without the high cost and risk of damaging it by driving it to events and doing track days.

A 1962 Ferrari GTO's is now worth over $2 million. There are some people who have taken original Ferrari chassis' from the same time period and had custom aluminum GTO bodies made. A good GTO replica will sell for about $200,000. But it must have an original style GTO engine, chassis from the same period, etc. The GTO is a very sexy and appealing car to own and drive. The Daytona's, while beautiful in their own way, are no where near as sexy an a GTO.

The Daytona Coupe has a very limited "user" appeal if it is made exactly like the originals.

1.) Too small for most drivers and very hard to get in and out of it.

2.) Very limited rear visibility because the originals were almost flat from the doors back.

3.) Very, very hot inside.

Besides the design issues, the Coupe's never got the attention that the Cobra's got in movies, posters, TV, etc. Everyone knows what a Cobra is and many people would love to own one. But only a few people know what a Daytona Coupe is and if they do know about it, they may not desire it. Heck, when I talk about a Daytona Coupe to other car people they think I'm talking about a Ferrari 365 GTB/4.

Factory Five Racing makes a product called the Type 65 Coupe. http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/coupe/coupekit.html I helped build one for a friend of mine and I have one that is almost done for myself. I shipped it to a notable painter in the bay area about a month ago and hope to have it finished for the London Cobra Show in June.

FFR made the Type 65 Coupe 10% bigger and reshaped the rear glass to make it drivable. Adding A/C is easy. So these changes make the car usable. Not as nice to drive as a Cobra, but livable.

This is the first Coupe I helped to build:
PEIRCE-R1-2_550.jpg

Here's my current project:
Web%20Coupe112.jpg

More pictures here: http://www.texasvenom.com/Coupe.htm

The FFR car comes with a 96" wheel base. The original Coupe's were built on 90" wheelbase Cobra chassis'. The Superformance Coupe is 93".

Original Cobra Daytona Coupe:
TorqueOmata4292.jpg

Factory Five Type 65 Coupe:
0701kc_02_z+cobra_bash+.jpg

Superformance Coupe:
superformance-brock-coupe-2.jpg

The FFR is a highly engineered car that takes the original style 4" frame and stretches it six inches. It uses the same bird cage design and has the option of having 4-wheel independent suspension and whatever brakes you want. I think someone looking for a "continuation" Coupe would take an original 289 car and send it to a pro like McClusky.

Is there a market for a Coupe with a CSX number? Of course. But it should have the correct engine, Weber's, wheels, etc. 302? :thumbsdow I think it would be a fun project and you might even be able to sell a few.

Good luck!

- Bill

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tim, they look too much like vipers (I know they were designed way before) and I was never into them. I'd personally rather have a new, modern GR-1 at $110-120K than a continuation at a much higher price. I'm not sure if that answers your questions.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Excellent feedback guys! To answer FFCOBRA's questions. The car's chassis is in part being build by Shelby in Las Vegas, with the final production being finished by a Shelby authorized constructor/dealer in PA (Lee Benson at All Pro Cars). You can check his site out at: http://www.allprocars.com

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Tim-

Just my data point- I would be a buyer of the GR-1 if Ford built it and priced it about where the GT was, but I would not be a buyer of the car you describe at the price levels quoted.

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
I think it needs a larger engine then a 302. Im thinking along the lines of a 427.

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
Excellent feedback guys! To answer FFCOBRA's questions. The car's chassis is in part being build by Shelby in Las Vegas, with the final production being finished by a Shelby authorized constructor/dealer in PA (Lee Benson at All Pro Cars). You can check his site out at: http://www.allprocars.com

Then forget getting big bucks. Now were just talking about a kit car. However, there is still a big market for nice kit cars.

- Bill

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
I guess I am in the minority here, but I would rather have the Brock coupe. Why? I think Pete gives it authenticity, it is fast, reliable, looks great, darn good buy, and it is drivable. But in the end, I agree with Bony, I see it as a tribute car as is our FGT. So, Tim, I am rambling, but in direct response to your query: I guess I wouldn't buy one because I think there are better options for a lot less money. BTW, I came close to buying the Brock Coupe two years ago, but at the last minute went for the SPF MKIII because I have always loved the Cobra. As others in this thread point out, the Cobra has been in the movies, songs, etc., and it has been my dream to own one (even a replica) since I was 14 years old. Then six months ago when I bought again, I went for the FGT over the Daytona (Brock Coupe). Maybe someday. But it will be a Brock Coupe for sure.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bill, with all due respect, your GTO prices are miles low. I am ready to buy any GTO in any condition for $2m. Every one has been identified. They are going from $10m upwards and usually on treaty sales.