Windshield Skin Report

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
In a previous post about my run down to the Keys Mr Empty Pockets asked about the Windshield Skin. After just logging 400 miles behind the the wheel I'm happy to report that the Fitment and film clarity are great! On my trip I encountered bright sun light, rain and 4 hours of night driving. I couldn't even tell it was there. Clear as a bell !!
On the way down during the day we encountered some rain. I did not have the wipers on the car at the time. The water moved off the bare film fairly well for not being coated. I plan to coat the film with Rejex after the film has dried for a week or so. I want to give it a chance to totaly evaporate before sealing it up with Rejex which is a sealing polymer coating.
For the record Proline is still getting up to speed on providing info for this new product. I talked to Bo yesterday. He said the video on the site is not the correct video for the Windshield skin. I will type up the process I used to install the film. I wanted to check a few things with him before I posted some details. I am not a professional film installer but I have installed some clearbra kits so I have a better that average working knowledge on the subject. I'll type up the procedure on "Word" and post it here. I started to type it here earlier in a post but lost in with a pc online glitch. I'm a slow typer so I was a little PO'ed. Bo from Proline said they are putting together some written instructions as well but I got tired of waiting. I've been holding off driving My GT till I was protected and I just couldn't wait any longer !!

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
instructions

"Roger" on the instructions.
They haven't fwded my "install kit" yet either though the "film" got here B4 Christmas.
I'm going to call Bo tomorrow myself just 2C what's what. 'Not really an issue with me because I'm going to have a "pro" install it anyway. "NO BIGGIE" if the kit gets here or not.

Thanks for the report on the install results!:thumbsup

E.P.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
In a previous post about my run down to the Keys Mr Empty Pockets asked about the Windshield Skin. After just logging 400 miles behind the the wheel I'm happy to report that the Fitment and film clarity are great! On my trip I encountered bright sun light, rain and 4 hours of night driving. I couldn't even tell it was there. Clear as a bell !!
On the way down during the day we encountered some rain. I did not have the wipers on the car at the time. The water moved off the bare film fairly well for not being coated. I plan to coat the film with Rejex after the film has dried for a week or so. I want to give it a chance to totaly evaporate before sealing it up with Rejex which is a sealing polymer coating.
For the record Proline is still getting up to speed on providing info for this new product. I talked to Bo yesterday. He said the video on the site is not the correct video for the Windshield skin. I will type up the process I used to install the film. I wanted to check a few things with him before I posted some details. I am not a professional film installer but I have installed some clearbra kits so I have a better that average working knowledge on the subject. I'll type up the procedure on "Word" and post it here. I started to type it here earlier in a post but lost in with a pc online glitch. I'm a slow typer so I was a little PO'ed. Bo from Proline said they are putting together some written instructions as well but I got tired of waiting. I've been holding off driving My GT till I was protected and I just couldn't wait any longer !!

Spoke to the very nice folks yesterday, they promised to post exact details on how to do the install by today. They admit their video is for a pro and not a do it yourselfer...

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Thanks Stormcat. I was about to send you a PM yesterday requesting some installation details. I purchased the installation kit along with the film, but the scrub pad was not included. Is this critical? I did receive a squeegee and a small cutter which belies the exact fit notion. Any comments re the latter point?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
ACRJoe,
The Film did not require any trimming. I had a slight over hang (1/16")on the top of the passenger side because I was off a little. I used the squeegee and
tucked under the rubber edge seal no biggie. I started to type a lenghty detailed instruction but didn't get it finished. If you razor twice like I did the scouring pad may not be required. It's just like a rough scotch type pad.
If you got the deluxe install kit I had a little trouble with the squeegee. I made a slight modification to the squeegee and handle because mine wouldn't stay together. I cut some cone shaped divots in the rubber blade where the teeth sink in to allow them to go in further. I still couldn't get the wire latch to stay put so I put in a SS wood type screw to hold it in. ( see photo ) The screw is I'm guessing a #6 , 1/4" to 3/8" long.
The prep and cleaning are critical he's a real quick version of the steps.
1) Wash window and area with dishwashing soap to remove grease and road film. Dry glass.
2) I applied some CLR to a rag and careful wiped down the glass to remove any mineral deposits. Wipe off with clean damp towels. Than throughly rinse.
3) Razor clean windshield, I used the Jonhson's baby shampoo mixture as a lubricant.
4) Resoap Windshield and scrub with scouring pad. Remove this soap with razor.
5) Rinse and inspect glass. Should be ready for film install. Rinse off both sides of film to make sure there is no debris on the film.
6) Soap down windshield , place film right side up over soaped surface. Start to peel of inner line at the top of one corner. If possible have someone hold the corner in place as you pull off the inner liner. do this slowly and spray the under side of the film as you go. Once the liner is removed you should be able to slip the skin around to get it into place. Fit it close to the top edge of the glass and let the bottom fall as may.
7) Make sure you have lots of fluid under the film so you can work it. I smoothed out 95% of the film gently by hand before hitting it with the squeegee. start in the middle and worK to the edges.
Important tips:
-Clean the inside of the glass real good first. this will aid in identifying any trouble spots your may have on the outside.
-Keep hands clean , lint and oil free. keep them wet with the soap solution
- Use distilled water to reduce chances of mineral deposits under film.
Sorry, this was a rushed post and was just intended to give you th basic steps I did. I have to run to lunch. It's my B- day and have lunch and dinner plans with friends and family.. If anyone has specific questions feel free to call me at 954 298 7510.. Brian ..Got to go I'm late for lunch..

Attachments

• My GT.jpg
    My GT.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,464

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you Storm, that's great.

M

Mark O

If you rub hard, as in to rub off bugs, does the film scratch?

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Windshield Film

Makes absolutely no sense whatever to me as there is insurance and how often do windshields actually get cracked or broken ? Seems like buying 5.00 insurance on a 3.00 parcel.

Over an above that I would point out that my local bodyshop owner has signed up with one of the "name brands" to sell this stuff along with the vatious pre-cut body films but that he has to attend a 3 day training program on installation. While some period of the 3 days is likely hype on the product it still seems like an item you might not want to install at home

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Windshield Film

SC nice post.

and a big Happy Birthday to you.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Dr Robert Harms;48583 ... how often do windshields actually get cracked or broken ? it still seems like an item you might not want to install at home [/QUOTE said:
'Can't speak for others here, Doc, but for ME this film is going on to prevent those small "stars" & "chips" & "1/2 moon dings" that happen when small stones are launched from cars ahead. The film is supposed to illiminate them. Whatever might cause cracks or breaks pbly STILL will. I just don't wanna look at those "star" things.

But, I agree that a "pro" ought to do the install. 'Much better that it be done by a guy who's done it 1,000 times than, say, someone like your humble scribe. 'Faaaaar less chance of screwing it up!

'Just my $.02

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
In south FL there is continuous road and building construction . It is impossible to get on the Interstate or Tollway and not get behind a dump truck or avoid the rocks they drop not matter how far back you stay. For me it's a no brainer. I plan to keep this car a long time and I would like to have all of the original parts intact if possible. To me this is cheap insurance

The GT is so low you are in the direct path of flying stones etc. I would not look forward to having my fenders and all the associated parts removed just to replace the windshield. I'm sure the windshield installers or the average Ford dealers are experts at refitting the GT body panels and have them mate up as good as they left the factory. The factory had a hard time getting the panels to fit so let's see how someone else does that has had less practice.

I have some pretty good mechanical skills and like to work on my own car. I installed 19 pcs of Clear Bra on my GT so this windshield film was easy for me and I enjoyed doing it!! This is a new product on the market and it may not be for every do it yourselfer but once you understand the basics it's not rocket science... we just need to have Proline finish their installation instructions...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
In south FL there is continuous road and building construction . It is impossible to get on the Interstate or Tollway and not get behind a dump truck or avoid the rocks they drop not matter how far back you stay. For me it's a no brainer. I plan to keep this car a long time and I would like to have all of the original parts intact if possible. To me this is cheap insurance

The GT is so low you are in the direct path of flying stones etc. I would not look forward to having my fenders and all the associated parts removed just to replace the windshield. I'm sure the windshield installers or the average Ford dealers are experts at refitting the GT body panels and have them mate up as good as they left the factory. The factory had a hard time getting the panels to fit so let's see how someone else does that has had less practice.

I have some pretty good mechanical skills and like to work on my own car. I installed 19 pcs of Clear Bra on my GT so this windshield film was easy for me and I enjoyed doing it!! This is a new product on the market and it may not be for every do it yourselfer but once you understand the basics it's not rocket science... we just need to have Proline finish their installation instructions...

Hello,
I agree with you, your spot on, they promised to have it up no later than yesterday. I have my detail guy coming in the morning to do it...
Question, what part J&J Baby Shampoo to water do you mix?
Thanks. The video seems straight forward, howard I would have never realized that there is a film backing that has to be removed prior to installing.
Cheers,
daniel

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Daniel,
I used 2 CC of Johnson's baby with 32oz of water. I used that amount based on the clear bra experience. The adhesive on the window film does not feel as tacky as the clear bra adhesive so you may be able to get by with less soap.
The rule of thumb is use the least amount of soap as possible to reduce the potential of residue spots, but you need to have enough soap to allow the film to move and keep from sticking as you move it. Your guy probably has some of his own preferences? I'm happy with the way mine came out and It was the first one i did. If I did a few more I could zero in on a reduced amount of soap but I wanted to be safe.. Brian

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I think Bony had some issues with getting the film adhesive to stick. Prolines recommends 2 tea spoons of shampoo to 32 oz seems too strong. See # 13above for my recommendation. Sorry I haven't learned how to link a post ??

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think Bony had some issues with getting the film adhesive to stick. Prolines recommends 2 tea spoons of shampoo to 32 oz seems too strong. See # 13above for my recommendation. Sorry I haven't learned how to link a post ??

Hopefully my guy will ring you before he comes over at 10am this morning. They were trying to tell me that there was an issue with the cut of the film. They could not get the pockets of moisture out and the film to lay flat on the windscreen. I appreciate your help, very much!!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just an FYI, I rode in Stormcat's car today and his windshield film came out great. I couldn't even tell it was there. :thumbsup

Hopefully I can get mine to come out as good.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Just an FYI, I rode in Stormcat's car today and his windshield film came out great. I couldn't even tell it was there. :thumbsup

Hopefully I can get mine to come out as good.

Mine is on pretty good, not great. The guys that installed it yesterday used too much J&J Baby Shampoo, sadly, the amount that the factory recommends.
Stormcat advised to use much less, we followed his instructions and I am basically ok, but there are spots where we lost the adhesive because we made a two day job out of the install. Today I had a professional window tint guy redo the job. I think the product is great, but I would recommend that you have a hell of a lot of patience or go to a window tint guy. Not something for the typical weekend handyman to do.

Many thanks for Brian - StormCat for his advise and the group buy.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Let's recap this window film situation. Is everyone happy? My results are less than satisfactory...We did Midnight Blue but not Heritage. Prof. installer did the work but too many spots and the film does not cover the entire glass. I'm saving the second film to apply later if there is progress made on a better install...Any input....Thanks

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mine looks horrible, I was hoping little spots would disappear in a week or so. They did not. Beau never followed up. Installed per their limited instructions. .:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Let's recap this window film situation. Is everyone happy? My results are less than satisfactory...We did Midnight Blue but not Heritage. Prof. installer did the work but too many spots and the film does not cover the entire glass. I'm saving the second film to apply later if there is progress made on a better install...Any input....Thanks

Mine came out 99.5% perfect. There are about 3 or 4 small "specks" (almost like very tiny air bubbles - but the ARN'T air bubbles, I don't think) here & there around the perimeter edges. None appear in the "line of sight" from either seat. I think these specks are just "spider crap" that was missed when cleaning the windshield. My installer told me B4 he got started that, unless you do the install in a 'filtered paint booth, odds are you WILL end up with something LIKE these things 'cause of the crap that floats around in the air.
There are two places (very,very tiny) on the outer edge of the film where it LOOKS like the film's "glue" was missing. But, again VERY tiny & on the edge. No big deal.