Windshield Skin Report

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I see someone has pulled up another 5 year old thread.. :biggrin If I may give a quick history update. This was a new product That was introduced at the 2006 SEMA show. There was no intentions to make these for the out of production Ford GT's. I became the point man and we got together enough interested parties and put together a group buy.
This product was never meant to be a DIY install product. This rigid film was new to the industry and posed some installation problems for those who were not used to working with rigid films versus flexible films.

Proline sold to us direct which may have been a bad thing for some who incurred installation difficulties.
I believe this product is still available but you need to get it from and have it installed buy an authorized trained installer. I was told the authorized installers started to use infra red dryers. If you do not use the IR dryer it takes about a month to get the film to it's max clarity.
It is nice to hear there is another product ( Clear Plex) available. Maybe Pro or Colton74 can share some more info or a link to that product.

Helenor still has the first and original windshield skin made for the GT. It has 19 000 miles on it. It has taken some major hits. I know of three impacts that would have resulted in cracked glass. I saw one large stone that was kicked up and hit the windshield on the highway, It left a big gouge in the plastic.
I would note that I do not use wipers on the film. I use Rejex on the film. I put the film on my other GT but it has very few mile on it. I would not drive my GT without this film and it was a decision I am happy that I made.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Glass repairs on high end cars are not cheap or easy. This sounds like a great product.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Here is the link to the product that I have on my car. Had it installed at the shop that did some of my clearbra stuff. Not sure if it was the same installer or not however.

I am 90% sure this is what Superfly has as well, however I will let him confirm.

http://www.clearplex.com/

If you have experience installing this sort of thing it can be done yourself; Canadiancobra did his and its as good as mine. However he had a bunch of experience with this sort to thing already. He may be able to post some tips or advice.

It wasnt cheap to get done, the product is fairly inexpensive, all things GT considered. However it was the labour that killed me on it. You could buy three or four precut films and do it yourself before you came close to the price I paid. Live and learn I guess.

I would recommend it so far.

Steve

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The film Stormy arranged for us saved my GT's windshield 3 times. There are (were) 3 definite little white stone-caused 'craters' in the film when I sold the car...but the windshield was still primo. It was well worth the money.

Whether I end up ordering a Viper or a GT40 this fall, it's going to wear the stuff.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The film Stormy arranged for us saved my GT's windshield 3 times. There are (were) 3 definite little white stone-caused 'craters' in the film when I sold the car...but the windshield was still primo. It was well worth the money.

Whether I end up ordering a Viper or a GT40 this fall, it's going to wear the stuff.

How is that possible when your cars rarely sees the road? Maybe it was something that fell off of a tree on your property.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
That guy Stormcat is really something to be reckoned with!

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I have the Proline on mine for 6 years now and have had a few hits in the 10,000 miles. No damage and as clear as the day it was installed. Definately the way to go for this type of car - not so much for a daily driver as you would have to change it every 1-2 years.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
+1 on the Proline. Thanks again Stormy.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That guy Stormcat is really something to be reckoned with!

And don't forget it !! Go Heat !! :biggrin

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I see someone has pulled up another 5 year old thread.. :biggrin If I may give a quick history update. This was a new product That was introduced at the 2006 SEMA show. There was no intentions to make these for the out of production Ford GT's. I became the point man and we got together enough interested parties and put together a group buy.
This product was never meant to be a DIY install product. This rigid film was new to the industry and posed some installation problems for those who were not used to working with rigid films versus flexible films.

Proline sold to us direct which may have been a bad thing for some who incurred installation difficulties.
I believe this product is still available but you need to get it from and have it installed buy an authorized trained installer. I was told the authorized installers started to use infra red dryers. If you do not use the IR dryer it takes about a month to get the film to it's max clarity.
It is nice to hear there is another product ( Clear Plex) available. Maybe Pro or Colton74 can share some more info or a link to that product.

Helenor still has the first and original windshield skin made for the GT. It has 19 000 miles on it. It has taken some major hits. I know of three impacts that would have resulted in cracked glass. I saw one large stone that was kicked up and hit the windshield on the highway, It left a big gouge in the plastic.
I would note that I do not use wipers on the film. I use Rejex on the film. I put the film on my other GT but it has very few mile on it. I would not drive my GT without this film and it was a decision I am happy that I made.

Another 5 year bump...
I have a few questions:

Has there been a change to the latest and greatest on windshield protection?

Has anyone used Xpel Ultimate on the windshield?
My local installer said it would provide better protection, but visibility would be wavy.

I've also been told Clearplex would have to be changed every couple of years.
Has anyone found this to be the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I installed Clearplex couple years ago and visibility is great. Still looks great and has saved me twice few times.

Clearplex sells a conditioner for their windshield that I use-ClearXHD

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Clearplex has not deteriorated in a few years. It has absorbed some good hits that I'm sure would have nicked the glass. Clarity is acceptable now that I have non-polarized sunglasses. The rainbow effect with polarized lenses was a bit too psychedelic. Noticeable distortion is confined to a narrow band near the edges where the curvature is greatest. Give your wiper blades a wipe if you think you'll use them. Any grit will scratch the Clearplex.

Worth it if installed properly and you temper the advertising hype with the reality that no sheet of plastic over glass will be as clear as glass. In the long term, clarity through the Clearplex will be greater than a windshield etched by a few 10s of thousands of miles of road grit heading into a setting sun. Watching a GT windshield being replaced is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Working on it for the New GT !! I've still got the first one ever made on my GT.. It's had the snot beat out of it... It has been hit by major stones on three known occasions that would have been a cracked windshield for sure.. I would never drive a GT new or old with out it !!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Working on it for the New GT !! I've still got the first one ever made on my GT.. It's had the snot beat out of it... It has been hit by major stones on three known occasions that would have been a cracked windshield for sure.. I would never drive a GT new or old with out it !!

Great testimony. I have one installed buy a local guy, not the best fit, but feel it has saved the windshield a few times.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA

You've sold me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk