helmet advice

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
I'm starting to look for a racing helmet. Any advice, features to look for, those to avoid, etc. will be appreciated. Remember it's my head in there.

If anyone knows a dealer they can recommend in South Florida, that would be great as well.

Manny

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I'm starting to look for a racing helmet. Any advice, features to look for, those to avoid, etc. will be appreciated. Remember it's my head in there.

If anyone knows a dealer they can recommend in South Florida, that would be great as well.

Manny

it depends on the type of racing your wanting to do. Road course stuff in a closed car .... simpson voyager is the best bang for the buck. safe, comfortable, and proven.

For drag racing they have the drag bandit with its built in hood.

(I have the bandit and voyager .... depending on my mood I switch back and forth .... helmets guys we are talking helmets here)

both are snell approved.

whatever helmet you choose remember this. if you drop it or if it is ever banged in an accident . REPLACE IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!. a helmet is 350-500 bucks... your brain is not replaceable at any cost!. Also look into their HANS system .... its worth it.

you can buy them online at simpson's site or at saferacer.com

I don't work for either but have dealt with both ..... first class both ways.:thumbsup

Steve

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Be sure to try it on and wear it for at least 15 minutes. It should be tight, but not enough to give you a headache.:ack If you are going to wear a head sock, which is required if you have a beard or long hair, be sure to try the helmet with the sock on. Also ensure that it is an SA-2005 rated helmet. Most events will not accept a motorcycle helmet which would be rated M-2005.

Bell and Simpson are both good but they fit differently. The Bell is more for a round head, and the Simpson is for more of an oval head. Bells squeeze my forehead and leave gaps on the side, Simpson's fit more uniformly.

Have fun on the track,:biggrin

Craig

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Helmet fit

I recently bought a helmet and the number 1 consideration is fit. While you may opt for an internet purchase for price and availability be sure to try the helmet on first. Once I zeroed in on a price point and stlye, fit became the number 1 issue.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Any helmet used for competitive purposes should be Snell or similar rated.

Do not use a motorcycle helmet as they offer less protection than Snell rated helemets. In addition a motorcycle helmet is good for a one time glancing blow or if it is dropped once. A Snell helmet is not necessarily damaged if it is dropped. But replacing it is not a bad idea as previously posted.

Any of the new helmets are also compatible with a Hans device which I would highly recommend.

Helemet costs generally is in direct relationship to its weight. The lighter the more expensive.

Also check the helmet before buying for fit and field of vision. An open face has the best protection but least protection. So decide upon which opening you feel is best for you.

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Manny, can't you find or import a cocoanut big enough? Natural fiber is usually good for you. There are a bunch of old posts about this. I think the general opinion was the lighter the better but that runs up the costs. There were some links to places to buy. Sparco makes nice stuff too, but pricey and they don't make them in red that I could find (but i think they came in silver). What color is the Lotus?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Also keep in mind wearing a helmet in the GT sucks. It's already a pretty tight fight in there, but it took me some finagling to find the right position where I could turn my head properly without dinging the roof the the helmet...

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Go to www.helmetcity.com they have a large selection and their head measurement chart is spot on. Tell them you are a Viper Club of America member and you'll get a 10% discount. Get a good SA2005 helmet. Full face is best, I opted for a top of the line Simpson, like Steve said you can't put a price on your head. DO NOT get an "M" prefix helmet.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
helmet fit - track testing

I noticed after 10 minutes my helmet was too tight & that my neck was smashed from the GT's strict confines; but, after 1 lap on the track all that went alway. The helmet fit perfect & the GT had tons of room! As soon as I pulled off the track the helmet hurt & my neck felt smashed.

Ed

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Great info.- Thanks. There were certainly some things mentioned that had not crossed my mind.

Frank, I will go out to the yard right know and see if I can get me a properly fitting coconut. If not, do you think a calabasa will be ok? (it's storm titanium, a much faster color than red)

Manny

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Helmet advice...

Helmets: My two cents…

There are many choices – but light weight and comfort should be at the top of the list. Accepting that your choice is Snell rated. Prices vary considerably too. Shoei and Arai are the best – but you pay for that quality. A good alternative is the G-Force – light weight and comfortable at a good price. Fit should be snug – the helmet should not spin on your head nor be able to be pulled off, tugging from the back to the front of your head, with the chin strap buckled.

Also be aware of your peripheral vision. Some helmets have a narrow view port. You may not notice this in the store – but on the track you sure do. The wider the better. See what you can see at 90, 110 or even 120 degrees from straight ahead view out of the corner of your eye.

Get the latest Snell rating you can. Be aware there are European helmets without a Snell rating that do in fact exceed Snell’s test criteria. They choose not to be tested as they don’t feel the Snell test covers enough.

The M designation applies to motorcycle helmets. They are still good, but most sanction bodies will not accept them for auto events. The main differences are in the fire retardancy of the materials.

Snell SA2005 vs M2005. The difference between a Snell SA2005 and M2005 certification for a helmet. All Snell tests for these specifications include multiple impact tests at 78 degrees (dry and wet) and 120 degrees. The Snell M2005 specification is the base for the specs. The SA2005 – used primarily for auto racing – adds not only the thicker shield, but also the use of flame retardant paint, trim, retention strap and interior. The Snell SA2005 helmet also meets an additional roll-bar impact test. Ref. G-Force.

Other considerations are: Neck collar. I recommend you buy one. It will help support the helmet on your neck and shoulders particularly while in corners. After a long week-end at the track this is a worthy consideration. Also look for “Hans Device” locator screw receptacles. A Hans device is also worth considering.

Call Ron at Discovery Parts in Georgia – he’s very knowledgeable and won’t steer you wrong. (888) 748-RACE.

By the way – I own several helmets. I’ve paid over $1k for a certain model – looks cool but heavy and uncomfortable as can be. I’ve also paid as low as $250 for a great helmet! From a comfort and quietness rating my Shoei X11 is the nicest I have. Cool – due to great air flow – and quiet. With a great fit. I don’t know if they make an M version.

Happy helmet hunting.

Gordo

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I dun used mine....

....and ef it wurnt fur da melhit, i'd a dun got da dane blammage!!!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
....and ef it wurnt fur da melhit, i'd a dun got da dane blammage!!!

Not to Hi-jack, but Chip.... you sound like a 17 year old girl (blonde) from St. Louis:rofl

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Blonde?

Not to Hi-jack, but Chip.... you sound like a 17 year old girl (blonde) from St. Louis:rofl

I didn't know Dr. Frank was a blonde.:lol

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Just my luck. If I was a 17 year old girl, I'd get laid more often!!

Chip

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Just my luck. If I was a 17 year old girl, I'd get laid more often!!

Chip

yeah, but would you be any good? :lol

Steve

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
yeah, but would you be any good? :lol

Steve

Steve,
My secret to success with women has always been my sexual guarantee. I guarantee ANY woman THREE screaming orgasms a night. Now I don't know about you Steve, but I've always been a screamer.:biggrin :banana

Chip

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Steve,
My secret to success with women has always been my sexual guarantee. I guarantee ANY woman THREE screaming orgasms a night. Now I don't know about you Steve, but I've always been a screamer.:biggrin :banana

Chip

Damn. Now I wish you where a 17 year old girl! :rofl .. oh wait.... make that a 19 year old girl ... :thumbsup

Merry Christmas Chip, I'm down here in Joplin.. would enjoy meeting you ... your a sick individual .... I can relate to that.:biggrin

Steve

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Steve,

Chip

Yeah, yesterday Mrs. Bony had three screamers herself...
...would you wipe you damn feet before walking on my light rugs
...must you spend so much time on the computer
...would you hurry up, were late again

I'm going to work hard to give her four or five today, after all it's Christmas:willy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Well so you guys know I went with an Arai gp5w- w is for wider view. Fit is excellent, has interchangeble cheek pads($55) ,and is very light.

And as I live in Miami and need to be fashion conscious, I got it in silver to match the gt.

Thanks again to all --

Manny