helmet advice

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
You don't want to use the helmets the track provides? I haven't gotten any cooties yet.

do all the tracks provide helmets?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Only if they hope to sell track days to travelers who aren't going to pack a helmet everywhere they go.

I'm sure whoever is arranging the rally track day will ensure we (and our passengers) are taken care of.

Last edited:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Most tracks don't have loaner helmets. If you are there taking a driving course the school may provide one. If you are going with a club like Chin or PCA etc you need to bring your own.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gary, look at the Arai line or Bell. Full face or open. Initial cost is stiff, but it's good for years, and, if your just on the track with us, nobody checks the date of your helmet or your race belts. Decide what you want and internet shop. You might also look for an accompaning bag to carry it in. I would also recommend you look for gloves at the same time. Don't be like PussyCat and use golf gloves. You might also buy a balaclava to cover your head and keep the sweat off the inside helmet. It's much easier to use and clean and for your wife to borrow the helmet and use.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Open face or full face what would you recommend? Helmet dealer said a deployed air bag would really smack you in the face and jaw on the open face?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I prefer a full helmut for safety reasons.I do not use the shield though. When looking for a helmut buy the best one.Its protecting what little brains we got left! I look for the lightest possible and the largest face opening.
Don’t skimp on the most important piece of safety equipment !
My 02

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
nobody checks the date of your helmet or your race belts.

That's definitely not my experience. I guess out West here they care more about losing a tax revenue resource :)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I prefer the full Helmut

uploadfromtaptalk1406064029709.jpg

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I started out with full face but wearing glasses is a problem, you must take them off then stuff the arms in. Broke one pair. Switched to open and work great with glasses. When you are suiting up 5 to 6 time a day it make a huge difference. Must get a Snell 2010. All the track days I go to check my helmet and they preach no motor cycle helmets and there is all ways someone that shows up and says "I didn't know", they don't get on the track and no money back. If you only run once a year get you own helmet.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I started out with full face but wearing glasses is a problem, you must take them off then stuff the arms in. Broke one pair. Switched to open and work great with glasses.

Ditto. I got a Aria open face. Doesn't work for the open cockpit cars (e.g., Formula Mazda) but I only do them at the Bondurant track and they have helmets to borrow.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Another reason for the Automotive safety standard helmet is they may have additional fire protection or possibly nomex, as compared to the Motorcycle helmet safety standard. And as previously stated, it seems that most events require automotive helmet standard.

Here is a link to an unverified discussion of the differences.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Difference-...le-Helmet-Standards-/10000000006758393/g.html

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
My kids prefer Simpson and Arai. I will say, The Arai gives you much more head room. I can't fit in the GT with the Simpson.

Attachments

• 20131028_185952.jpg
    20131028_185952.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 149

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My kids prefer Simpson and Arai. I will say, The Arai gives you much more head room. I can't fit in the GT with the Simpson.

I was advised that you will have more headroom with the Aria. That is the amount it adds to your top will be less) so if you are like me and the button on your baseball cap touches the headliner go with the Aria.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
My Arai GP-5W at the Delano Hotel, Rally 9.

Rally9-0483_zps0d891363.jpg