Paint Bubbles on Hood

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
I've developed the hood bubbling issue again. :facepalm: No wet sanding and buffing is going to fix my issue. Some of the bubbles on my hood have even cracked through the paint. The previous owner had this hood repainted for this issue as well, the most recent using a PPG process. So what can one do, aside from continuing to have the hood repainted/repaired when it happens yet again? Is there a better paint application process I should seek out that others have had luck with? There has to be a better way. There are millions of fiberglass cars on the road without fiberglass off gassing causing bubbles under the paint. Thanks for any help you smart guys can provide.

Dan Schoneck, do you make a carbon fiber replacement hood?

It's one thing to be privileged enough to own one of the coolest cars on the planet. It's another thing when a recognizable flaw like this detracts from it's overall beauty.

Attachments

• 20190210_071154.jpg
    20190210_071154.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 20190209_155909.jpg
    20190209_155909.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 20190209_155640.jpg
    20190209_155640.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I do and just buy a new hood and hang that hood on the wall!

The only way to get rid of all the air pockets as that's what that is, would be to take a heat lamp and bake the hood let them all rise and then mark them all. Then dig into every single one with a die grinder, fill and re prime the hood for paint.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/15485-Paint-is-blistering?highlight=paint+bubbles

Here is another thread about the same subject. There has to be an answer.

Ed

PS Stormcat - do you have anymore CF hoods?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
All the hoods are Carbon

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
All the hoods are Carbon

The first round of hoods made in Detroit for the 05 cars were chopper gunned fiberglass. They looked real rough from the bottom sides and the company could not keep up to Ford’s demands for hoods so the contract was sold to a company in Canada. When they moved the production of the hoods to Canada they were a fiberglass resin transfer process. The hoods on all the cars are Fiberglass. The clambshell is carbon/aluminum.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
true … none of the hoods are carbon fiber... all fiberglass.
….because of the radical contours and deep-deep draws, the hood could not be made of superformed aluminum as the rest of the body..
andy (ajb)

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
How long did it take for it to come back after you repainted it? I painted mine last year, no bubbles back yet.

Reactions: 1434gt

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There was a round of carbon hoods, Bony had one and cleared only. As others stated, all OEM were fiberglass.

On the bubbles, its a very common issue on 2000 Cobra R hoods, especially earlier cars. I have a friend with one, took it to a renowned Corvette guy (fiberglass), fixed it, bubbles came back. Took it back, he did it again. Bubbles came back yet again, went back, guy punted, said he would not touch it again. His solution was to buy an aftermarket hood that is nearly identical, and "mothball" the original. Luckily I have a very late R, with out this issue (knock on wood).

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
There was a round of carbon hoods, Bony had one and cleared only. As others stated, all OEM were fiberglass.

On the bubbles, its a very common issue on 2000 Cobra R hoods, especially earlier cars. I have a friend with one, took it to a renowned Corvette guy (fiberglass), fixed it, bubbles came back. Took it back, he did it again. Bubbles came back yet again, went back, guy punted, said he would not touch it again. His solution was to buy an aftermarket hood that is nearly identical, and "mothball" the original. Luckily I have a very late R, with out this issue (knock on wood).

stormcat had the molds made i believe. Last year i made the tooling to produce hoods as well. Cosmetic bottom in resin infused carbon fiber and the tops are hand laid fiberglass to be painted.. they turned out pretty awesome.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Our hoods have all the factory style plates with press zerts just like oem ones do.

Attachments

• gt hood top.jpg
    gt hood top.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 137
  • gt hood bottom.jpg
    gt hood bottom.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 139
  • gt hood bottom 1.jpg
    gt hood bottom 1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 136

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
I had a similar problem with my 2000 Viper. The problem seemed to spread and get worse over time even though the car was stored in a climate controlled environment and under cover. I decided to sell it knowing it would be a never ending issue. However, this is different. I agree with the others - get a replacement hood and hang on to the original - make it "wall art".

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Our hoods have all the factory style plates with press zerts just like oem ones do.

Wow BMF! Very cool.

Ed

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

That’s good to know. How much? My hood is bubbling too.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Luckily I have a very late R, with out this issue (knock on wood).

Yeah, but is your fuel tank (badder) leaking yet?? :facepalm:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Stormcat made a very few hoods of Dr, Bony had one of the first ones. He painted it director match the car but the ducts down t the fans he left unpainted. Also note, no notch for wiper mechanism. Sound waves here on the forum owns it now for many years.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
95, yes, and done, 00, not yet.

Stay on topic.. ha

Yeah, but is your fuel tank (badder) leaking yet??

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Stay on topic.. ha

OK, I have a couple of paint bubbles, but my local expert (GT Guy) advised me not to fix it.

Says the car is completely original and should keep it that way. Good advice!

When you going to address the '00 bladder? ;-))

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Correct. I installed the hood on Bony's car. Initially we were going to put it on completely natural but the guys in the brown van dropped it on it's head and damaged one of the corners so I had a friend of mine that builds race boats in CF repair it and we elected to paint it due to the CF weave area that was repaired not cosmetically matching the rest of the hood. We left the recessed areas natural CF which had a really nice contrast. It was a very well crafted piece.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX

Stay on topic.. ha

I am doing my 95 right now as well, and my 00 has no bubbles either, which is rare!

To clarify for the OP, your issues are relatively common on fiberglass parts, which arise from an improper curing process. There is no fix other than a new hood, as others have alluded. Any repaint to fix would be temporary.

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
That’s good to know. How much? My hood is bubbling too.

They are $6000.00 for the cosmetic carbon bottomed hood.