Changing color to Heritage scheme

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Hello forum

Just wondering what people thought of changing paint color on a red 9000 mile GT to the Heritage scheme using an extremely high quality shop? Cost would be in the 15,000 dollar range. I am NOT doing it to “pass it off” as an original Heritage just like the scheme. In everyone’s opinion here would I actually HURT the value from its present $250k value or would it matter ...maybe would be a trade off in value for someone that might want a Heritage look without having to pay the 100K+ delta.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
You may consider having it wrapped so it can go back to original. Bottom line is, do what you like. It's your car.

My car has a complete repaint but it was in an accident so it did not matter.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think you would be the first to do it.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
interesting question although at 15k for a complete paint redo I would have to question the quality of the job, taking the car completely apart prepping all the panels and repainting it seems like should cost a lot more... and if you dont do it right then it could be a huge blow to the cars value, and add to that, once you change the paint of the car its no longer an original and that bares heavy on its value. If you document the whole transformation with good pictures and show all of the work done I would say it will still hurt the value at the end of the day but you never know someone out there may have your line of thinking that they would like to have a heritage for the price of a regular car.

personally speaking I wouldnt mind buying a completely repainted car as long as I had all the documentations with pictures etc... and it was good quality work. but I wouldnt want heritage repaint on another car, thats just my personal taste.

remember if you commit to this the quality of the job has to be guaranteed and you have to make sure the end result is stunning and even after all that you will always have the negative stigma that the car is a full respray. the best you can hope for is that everything goes well and you have a very good looking respray car that will be hard to sell and worse is that you have a nightmare on your hand if they dont do the job correctly and you get second rate work which would either have to be redone or it will actually detract from the value of the car even more.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I agree that 15k sounds extremely low for a quality GT paint job

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
I agree that 15k sounds extremely low for a quality GT paint job

It’s the same company that did this for me so I’m not too worried about quality ...

Attachments

• 7EE412A3-9C13-4249-BABB-822DD5C21754.jpeg
    7EE412A3-9C13-4249-BABB-822DD5C21754.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
That’s n
You may consider having it wrapped so it can go back to original. Bottom line is, do what you like. It's your car.

My car has a complete repaint but it was in an accident so it did not matter.

That’s not a bad idea...

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
That’s n

That’s not a bad idea...

Contact MarkH with M2K Motorsports. Their mile car is wrapped in Heritage. I contacted him a few years ago because I thought about it. Way cheaper...good quality...and reversible. That’s my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loscavio

GT Owner
Jan 22, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Agreed, wrap it!

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
interesting question although at 15k for a complete paint redo I would have to question the quality of the job, taking the car completely apart prepping all the panels and repainting it seems like should cost a lot more... and if you dont do it right then it could be a huge blow to the cars value, and add to that, once you change the paint of the car its no longer an original and that bares heavy on its value. If you document the whole transformation with good pictures and show all of the work done I would say it will still hurt the value at the end of the day but you never know someone out there may have your line of thinking that they would like to have a heritage for the price of a regular car.

personally speaking I wouldnt mind buying a completely repainted car as long as I had all the documentations with pictures etc... and it was good quality work. but I wouldnt want heritage repaint on another car, thats just my personal taste.

remember if you commit to this the quality of the job has to be guaranteed and you have to make sure the end result is stunning and even after all that you will always have the negative stigma that the car is a full respray. the best you can hope for is that everything goes well and you have a very good looking respray car that will be hard to sell and worse is that you have a nightmare on your hand if they dont do the job correctly and you get second rate work which would either have to be redone or it will actually detract from the value of the car even more.
+1 wrap it

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
It’s only a red car, so I say go for it! (Sorry Frank, Bruce, etc!)

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We’ve done this for a customer in the past. Cost was similar and quality was superb - it’s for sale now though they don’t mention the repaint. The GT geeks would realise it’s a 2005 from the front grille so it couldn’t be a genuine Heritage but to the 99% of people who see it - it’s a Heritage.

http://www.theoctanecollection.com/cars/ford-gt-2-for-sale/

I’d agree that as long as you document it then it wouldn’t be a major issue. Wraps are fine but you don’t get the depth of colour that paint gives in my opinion.

Dave

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
so many rebuilt wrecks painted in Heritage scheme and sold over seas. I think the term was " oh, I forgot to mention it's not a real Heritage" I guess that's what a carfax is for. just saying. do your due diligence before purchasing. I have no issues with a re-paint in Heritage scheme. who's going to run a VIN at car show or open the driver's door to check the paint code? do what makes you happy! jmo

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We’ve done this for a customer in the past. Cost was similar and quality was superb - it’s for sale now though they don’t mention the repaint. The GT geeks would realise it’s a 2005 from the front grille so it couldn’t be a genuine Heritage but to the 99% of people who see it - it’s a Heritage.

http://www.theoctanecollection.com/cars/ford-gt-2-for-sale/

That car is clearly a 2005. Grill, clamshell cosmetic clips, non-spring clamshell bump stops. But advertised as a 2006. Says "Gulf livery" though and not "Heritage." Caveat emptor.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
If at all, and I wouldn’t, wrap.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
wrap!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
It’s the same company that did this for me so I’m not too worried about quality ...

I don’t know about that. They left that antenea white. Just kidding cool looking Cj.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
wrap, if it was salvage title, you could paint it.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The best paint guy is Rich Brooks of the GT guy LLC

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
it would KILL the value

Hello forum

Just wondering what people thought of changing paint color on a red 9000 mile GT to the Heritage scheme using an extremely high quality shop? Cost would be in the 15,000 dollar range. I am NOT doing it to “pass it off” as an original Heritage just like the scheme. In everyone’s opinion here would I actually HURT the value from its present $250k value or would it matter ...maybe would be a trade off in value for someone that might want a Heritage look without having to pay the 100K+ delta.