Rocker Panel removal help

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Can anyone tell me if the rocker panel is attached to the front fender (as in do I need to pull the fender liner to get at the bolts)?I have the 05 shop manual but it a little vague as to the attachment points at the front/fender area.I need to remove the rocker panel from the car.Thanks in advance for the help

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Are you talkin about the aerodynamic side skirts below the doors? If so you have to loosen some of the bolts and remove the ones near the fender well and it bends down a little while you remove the fender liner. To remove the fender liner after you remove all the push pins and screws you kind of curl it up into a smaller diameter and rotated out.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Are you talkin about the aerodynamic side skirts below the doors? If so you have to loosen some of the bolts and remove the ones near the fender well and it bends down a little while you remove the fender liner. To remove the fender liner after you remove all the push pins and screws you kind of curl it up into a smaller diameter and rotated out.
No not the side splitter but the actual rocker panel.i know the side splitter(underneath the rocker panel)has to be removed and the side scoop has to come off to get at the screws at the top rear of the rocker panel but was wondering if it is connected to the fender at the front which I am assuming would require fender liner removal to get at the screws.Thanks

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Ok i figured it out.For future reference for anyone attempting to remove rocker panels here are the steps :
1) remove all the screws at the bottom holding the side splitter.remove side splitter
2) remove side scoop and remove 2 screws holding rocker
3)remove door weatherstripping where rocker panel meets door sill
4)carefully drill out 3 aluminum rivets holding top of rocker
5)there is one screw holding rocker to fender right behind front wheel which only needs to be loosened (it can be accessed from underneath and behind rocker panel once the bottom screws are out of rocker.there is no need to remove fender liner!)
6)remove two screws behind front wheel holding rocker to fender liner

once this is done rocker will just pull out😊

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Interesting. Those instructions make me wanna go out and try, just for the hell of it!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
From the service manual

rocker panel r&r_Page_1.jpg

rocker panel r&r_Page_2.jpg

I highly recommend getting the service manual from Helm. Get the 2006 version because it has some errors corrected, but even the 06 has some (I found another today, be sure to check unit conversions.)

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
From the service manual

View attachment 54263

View attachment 54264

I highly recommend getting the service manual from Helm. Get the 2006 version because it has some errors corrected, but even the 06 has some (I found another today, be sure to check unit conversions.)
Yeah I have the service manual, unfortunately like u said it is wrong.(not the first thing I noticed wrong in it so no surprise)It shows three screws where there are aluminum rivets, also the rocker is attached top the front fender with a screw but is not present in that pic.I wasn't sure if the fender liner needed to be removed to take off the rocker and fortunately I was able to do it without.