changing antifreeze in intercooler

larrypack

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2013
What is the best and easiest method to change antifreeze in the intercooler circuit?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Drain it at the front radiator - typically at the same time when you are also draining (changing) engine coolant. Re-fill using vacuum fill method.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The big problem is to not leaver any air bubbles in the system.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Drain it at the front radiator - typically at the same time when you are also draining (changing) engine coolant. Re-fill using vacuum fill method.

order an "Airlft" system. they work extremely well on a GT for both cooling systems. owners get amazed when they use one that the car runs cooler because they've gotten all the air out of the cooling systems. jmo

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I used the airlift and raised the back of the car higher. There by putting more pressure on the radiator evacuation process.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Kendall, is there a special kit # for the FGT due to adapter?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
The kit I ordered from Amazon had a generic adapter that worked well. The key is to have a compressor which has at least 150 Psi capability.

Attachments

• 0CF19D7E-BB0C-4558-8E5B-0FEE1AAD49C6.jpg
    0CF19D7E-BB0C-4558-8E5B-0FEE1AAD49C6.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 119

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall, is there a special kit # for the FGT due to adapter?

The standard kit will have what you need in terms of adapters. Art is showing a cone-shaped adapter, although both kits we ordered have the right cylindrical adapter. Maybe the changed the kit? Either way, I think standard kit will work well. So well, in fact, you'll find yourself using it in other (non-required) applications. Art makes a good point about the size of the compressor. The Airlift draws a vacuum by use of a venturi to create a pressure differential and you must have a reasonable CFM capability to get the full vacuum draw. (There's a rudimentary gauge to show you this.) Those small pancake compressors are not sufficient in our experience.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
We use the Snap-On Rad Kit Vacuum Evac tool. We have a couple of them use them extensively in GT's in our shop (P/N#RADKITPLUSA) They are actually OEM specified in the FSM for the cooling systems. Use that and you'll have no issues with trapped air in the intercooler or engine cooling systems.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Reviving an old thread to see if anyone has the part # for the Airlift cap that screws onto our expansion tanks?

Reactions: TACHY

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
The ones I have, have a tapered rubber part that should seal fine. Or, suck the reservoir out and refill it, fire it up, kill it, suck out and refill and so on as many times as you feel necessary. Same on the engine. If you've opened the system beyond the cap you'll want to use the tool. It may also help to get the rear of the car higher than the front.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am looking for one I can screw on and have it stay in place while I use my hands to do something else other than holding the tapered funnel shaped one in the opening.

I know someone here said they had one, just hoping that person still checks in from time to time.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I am looking for one I can screw on and have it stay in place while I use my hands to do something else other than holding the tapered funnel shaped one in the opening.

I know someone here said they had one, just hoping that person still checks in from time to time.
the tapered piece stays in great without hands, especially when there's a vacuum on it, if you don't find what you're looking for.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The airlift system that works with the GT reservoirs is this one: AirLift

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Mike, FYI, Blackstone Labs does antifreeze analysis too. Knowing how often you drive your car, it might be a good idea to get it analyzed before you change it, and save unnecessary changes.