Oil Pump Belt Alternatives

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As described in a similar thread in recent weeks, some resourceful owners found an alternative to the Ford GT (Motorcraft) oil pump belt. The alternate belt is a Continental ContiTech "SilentSync" Y-720. The attraction is that this Continental belt is quite a bit different in price - approximately 1/4 the price of the Motorcraft belt ($40 versus $160).

As we have probably changed more than 30 oil pump belts in just the past few months (we have been recommending that to owners whose cars that we service just as a precaution since the OEM belts are now some 13-14 years old.) I ordered and received the Continental belt and I have both it and the Motorcraft belt in front of me as I type this. My hope was that it would be physically obvious that the two belts were the same (i.e., Continental was manufacturing the belt for Motorcraft), but it seems maybe obvious that they are physically different.

Critical dimensions - belt width, belt track pattern, and width all appear to be identical so I am pretty sure the belts both adhere to a specific fitment spec. However, the Continental belt is stiffer and seemingly more robust. On an edge view, the Continental belt has a fractionally thicker woven thread reinforcement band and the belt itself - perhaps mostly due to this, is a lot stiffer. In contrast the Motorcraft belt is more flexible/twist-able.

In summary, the Continental belt seems more industrial and heavy duty. Conceptually it appears stronger and more robust. The belts ARE different. Now, you might think that, as a result, I'd give the Continental our endorsement (that +$3 might buy you a cup of coffee), but I WON'T endorse it. I was hoping that the belts would be physically indistinguishable - essentially the same belt and then we might be able to use them. While the Continental seems heavier duty and more robust, the fact that it is different causes me some pause. I know from personal experience that the Motorcraft belts will go pretty much any number of miles for 14+ years without a single failure. Good enough for me.

Any of you may have a different opinion but unless you ask us specifically for the Continental (~$10/year savings over the lifespan of the belt - Woo-hoo!), we'll continue on with the Motorcrafts.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Would you expect that this new model might eventually become the Ford belt as inventory turns over?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I don't have any particular insight on this. Again, it looks stronger/better in comparison... so a really good chance it is as good or better. But it IS different. Collectively we have a whole lot of favorable real-use experience with the Motorcraft, so as long as there's an option... I'll stick with the OEM.

By the way, Tony.... I think I owe you something. I'll work on that now!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Any idea what the OEM application() for the Conti belt are?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Interesting observation that the Continental belt is stiffer then the Motorcraft. Stiffer maybe stronger but not necessarily better. As I suspect being stiffer it will generate more heat as being flexed around the pulleys. So I wonder if Continental can give an RPM range for their belt. A belt running above recommended RPMs will generate too much heat that will degrade the materials leading to early failure. So Kendall's caution is warranted.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Is there any way to determine the date of manufacture for each belt? I ask because you could purchase what you believe to be a brand new OEM Motorcraft belt tomorrow......and it could be over 10years old (I'm looking at one right now, and I don't see a date of manufacture).

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
$160 for every 10 years or so of use is obviously a negligible/minuscule cost. it would be beneficial to know the age of the belt at purchase.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I suspect the OEM belts could be very old. However, being stored in an indoor temperature controlled environment probably gives the belts a very extended life. In contrast, installed on a car and being stored in a singular tensioned position (for those cars that are not started routinely), is probably not conducive to a long life.

Sam, your point is the right one. Having to replace a ~$170 belt every 14 years is hardly an issue worthy of discussion.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
[QU

Attachments

• 587773.jpg
    587773.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Thank you Scott.

What would be your best service life guestimate for the belt in the your provided picture, if installed today?

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Just change out all three belts with Ford products every couple years. Very simple :)

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Thank you Scott.

What would be your best service life guestimate for the belt in the your provided picture, if installed today?
like Kendall said, the belts are stored in dry dark places so I don't see an issue for another 10 years even with that date code. jmo.
not like tires. I personally don't want a set of new 10 year old tires put on my GT.