Vintage Cross Boss intake & Autolite 875 carb for your Ford fans

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Maybe something for you vintage Ford guys? I´m selling my Cross Boss & 875 Autolite Inline as I´ve chosen to go with a much stronger engine combo for my 68 Trans Am Mustang. Feel free to share.

IMG_7256.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/original-ford-cross-boss-intake-matching-autolite-850-carburator/

:cheers
Anders

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ultra-cool piece... the kind of item you build an entire project around. GLWS.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I tried one of those in 1972 but found the engine made more horsepower with a 600 CFM Holly on a traditional dual plane manifold. Held the AHRA world record for H-Top Stock 1/8 mile in 1973. 1968 Mustang Fastback. The inline looks cool and would look nice on an open street rod where you could see it. Your's is certainly clean!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes you´re both right .... this has been "steering" my project for years and yes you can make better power and driveability with other types of carbs .... but nothing ever will be this cool ....

I decided to go for more power ... so have built a very strong stroker windsor - based on a racing motor from my old vintage racer ... coupled with a fuelinjection hidden by a vintage Holman & Moody steel aircleaner :)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this intake would be immensely cool on my boss 302 but somehow I think it wouldnt run as good as with the intake on it now.

Nonetheless I think you are going to be one popular guy on BAT for the next 6 days.

and I still want one of these... someday.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
These are infamous for being difficult to tune.

But for us Ford guys, pure art. I would like it resting on my fireplace mantle.

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I had a Cross Boss years ago, the top cover was magnesium. It kept rotting away so i got rid of it before i had nothing left! Went to a Doug Nash manifold for two 1400 cfm carbs. It was magnesium also and rotted even faster! So now all I have left is a couple NOS 1400 cfm carbs and a few rebuild kits. To bad you went with a windsor, I do have a 66 Trans am 2x4 manifold I don't need anymore.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, exited to see where this ends .... No Reserve is always a gamble.

When I initially got it from the Moore estate it was a complete kit with a 1425 cfm but I was afraid that the car would not be driveable with this so I looked for a 875 for the next 3 years before Craig Conley had one for me that was ready to run. From what I have read the cross boss/carb is definately not super low rpm street friendly but that the carb actually is fairly easy to adjust by just changing the jetting. I have quite a few spares going with the auction.

Interestingly enough no one have mentioned the extra alum plate that looks like it goes between the intake and the carb - either adding additional tuning or maybe even injecting something like NOS? It came from the Moore estate but I have no idea what it precisely is for.

The 2x4 may not look quite as cool on my Boss 302 but it would actually look more correct on my car ....

Anders

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Saw it on BAT today, almost made a comment about the seller being a real straight guy, and so on..............decided it wouldn't help, so I kept my keyboard silent!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I had lusted after one these set ups for years for my 70 Boss 302.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
kelly at inlinecarbs.com can set one these up for you. Tunning is an issue but they can be made to be streetable and once Kelly sets it up you shouldnt need to change anything unless you change something on the motor. As rare as these are they are usually one or two available for sale if you look hard enough and are willing to pay 5-7500 last one I was watching on ebay sold for 5300 and it was in rough shape. kelly usually has some for sale as well.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Anders I suspect your intake will bring at least 5K and perhaps even much more

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would certainly hope it will pass the 5K marker as I paid more back then .... but wouldn`t be the first time if a car has cost me money :wink:facepalm::rofl

Kelly definately seems to be the go to guy. He has been a big help for me over the years. Craig Conley also has lots of parts in stock but I guess even he consults with Kelly when it becomes Inline specific.

At this time I only regret I did not advertise it here for the FGT community first ..... but I had no idea that there would be demand.

BTW - this week the exhaust/stainless welder guy finalized the custom Magnaflow exhaust for the 68 Mustang so pretty soon it will be terrorizing the streets for the first time in almost 15 years ..... and this time with a vengeance :lol

Anders

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Saw it on BAT today, almost made a comment about the seller being a real straight guy, and so on..............decided it wouldn't help, so I kept my keyboard silent!

Thank you Sir for considering. So far no one has questioned "Sellers location" or yelled Nigerian scammer yet ..... and it probably won´t happen on BaT .... but if it does, I may need the backup :wink

Anders

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I would certainly hope it will pass the 5K marker as I paid more back then .... but wouldn`t be the first time if a car has cost me money :wink:facepalm::rofl

Kelly definately seems to be the go to guy. He has been a big help for me over the years. Craig Conley also has lots of parts in stock but I guess even he consults with Kelly when it becomes Inline specific.

At this time I only regret I did not advertise it here for the FGT community first ..... but I had no idea that there would be demand.

BTW - this week the exhaust/stainless welder guy finalized the custom Magnaflow exhaust for the 68 Mustang so pretty soon it will be terrorizing the streets for the first time in almost 15 years ..... and this time with a vengeance :lol

Anders

you need to post some pics, new Gt pics are nice but we need some old school cool to go with it.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
you need to post some pics, new Gt pics are nice but we need some old school cool to go with it.

Sure, I´ll shoot new pics when the car is back from the shop but here´s a couple from the build process ...

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

motor.jpg

under motor 2.jpg

under motor.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

Last edited: