Don't jump all over me, but.....Values

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
OK let me see what this generates:
A car that has mouse traps around it, is dirty inside and out, was covered up with its car cover dirty, very small ware mark on the drivers seat, front splitter has deep scrapes, valve covers are dirty and corroded, and bug spatter that looks like it has been there for 2 to 3 years. What would it take to bring it to its glory? On the pluses, original owner, although the carfax says 2 owners, optioned car, early car, kept on battery tender. Scary part is engine seal issue???? He claims not. Too dark to see much, and its winter. I hope this pleases all, not asking for value.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
franimal007, P*P*I

Sounds like you have a genuine "barn find."

Hope all's well in Endwell!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Worth noting too that this tread has enjoyed an unusual amount of viewing activity. Using a “views per day” metric this topic leads all threads on the first 3 pages. That’s using quick math while scanning down the pages. Could it be this is actually one of more popular topics? Could be it that there is pent up demand as it were for this type of intel? Maybe I am just not in the know. Maybe this topic is a breach of site decorum. Again, not trying to be quarrelsome, just trying to understand the root cause of the variance.

1. Views per day is an almost totally useless metric. One guy can come back and look at his own thread hundreds of times and generate those views, and in the past, that has happened. Sometimes thousands. It's also the prospect of drama that generates views on the internet.

2. It's not animus towards anyone, it's the topic.

3. Value threads in general:

Take as an example, the site you no longer visit, Rennlist. If you visit the water-cooled GT car section on Rennlist, it largely boils down to the same discussion over and over and over:

- People who do not have a GT car who will explain all the reasons that prices are too high, and will come down
- People who do have a GT car who believe the cars are rare, valuable, the market is stable or rising

Self-interest is largely going to dictate those discussions, and they will almost always be argumentative. You can also watch people flexibly move from one side of the argument to the other depending on whether they are buying or selling. 99% of the participants here own GTs, so you can assume assessments trend high.

More irritatingly, because it is such a fixation, it infects virtually all discussions. Go and try and say anything about a 911R without it devolving into a discussion about how early buyers overpaid, how the Touring destroyed the value and is a better car, and various hypothesizing about the future of 911R values, much of which comes from people who (of course) do not own a 911R. I imagine this is not a great incentive to participate as a 911R owner, and I think it's fair to say "what is the value?" has tainted the 911R since inception and for the foreseeable future.

People here are largely not interested in the commodification of the car. Partially, this is because a great deal of people on this site have a level of exposure to people who developed and produced the car in ways the vast majority of members on the sites you mention do not. Subsequently, there is a great awareness that absolutely nobody involved with the program was invested in the outcome of "what will the GT be worth on the open market?"

At the same time, there is an ecosystem of people who have only cared about what the GT is worth on the open market, which has often made the "what is the value of a GT currently" bit fatiguing. Institutionally, we do not care about those people here. This site is dedicated to the experience of owning a Ford GT. The price is only relative on two days - the day you buy and the day you sell.

3. It's also a largely unanswerable (with specificity) topic. See point 2 made by Xcentric. Or at least in my opinion, it's a topic that is so reasonably easy to assess based on a large amount of variables that it's not worth discussing. You can easily figure out what the market is within $10-20k just by looking around. Nobody is going to miss by $30k. 10k+/- will keep you waiting forever because it's constantly changing. The GT is not that rare and at any given time there are dozens for sale. If it's a car you like in the condition you like, there are deals to made. Always.

3. I also seriously, seriously question how much you read those other sites if that is your assessment. I do the same reading you do. People have been doxxed, photoshopped, had their personal lives and private information torn apart in public, and been called every expletive in the book on LamboPower, and it's been that way forever. You can read single threads with over 20,000 posts on FChat that are exclusively argumentative bickering, mostly from people that own nothing. Do you seriously believe guys not being interested in discussing what cars trade hands for is in any way comparable or somehow worse than that? Come on...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Well stated as always!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
My car is not for sale, but if someone wants to be stupid, and offer me $400,000, I'll consider it. You've gotten all the sage advice you need. From those that know.................So, I'll just reiterate the importance of a PPI. As an example, before I bought my car, which was owned by the owner of a Ford dealership (his personal car that he bought used). I flew Rich Brooks out to inspect the car..............all 4 shocks were leaking, the power steering pump was leaking, there was a seepage in the A/C compressor, the clamshell, and frunk struts were shot, and the owner of the dealership had no knowledge. He was quite impressed with Rich, and if he was ever to buy another used GT, no doubt in my mind, that he'd fly Rich out to inspect it for him.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Do you guys think its worth it to pay $40k over for new/barely unused cars vs. cars with few thousand miles?

I think the premium is hefty but may be worthwhile for a nearly virgin car.

However, as others pointed out, if the car has been garage kept for yeaes with no driving, it may be in a worse condition.

Any thoughts?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Do you guys think its worth it to pay $40k over for new/barely unused cars vs. cars with few thousand miles?

However, as others pointed out, if the car has been garage kept for yeaes with no driving, it may be in a worse condition.

Any thoughts?

Again (and again and again), it is not super relevant if 'barely used'. Current condition (by expert PPI) and proper maintenance history are ALL that REALLY matters. Color and mods are purely a matter of taste. A 'barely used' 14 yr old 2005 car that has tons of needs from either neglect or 500 miles of stupid driving will need more costly maintenance than many much higher mileage cars that have been expertly maintained.

Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX

Any thoughts?

I paid extra to get a 174 mile car. It was worth it to me because the car was perfect. I know a GT owner that bought a car with less than 100 miles and the GT had been in a serious accident. His has overspray on some parts and is missing a few others. He bought it because it was a much cheaper price relative to a nonwrecked car. There is no correct answer to “should I.....?” Just keep looking and the right deal for you will come along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Several extremely well reasoned and measured responses that will benefit everyone in the community. Thank you.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
With todays economy, is asking 10 percent off from asking price considered reasonable? Thank you in advance.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
With todays economy, is asking 10 percent off from asking price considered reasonable? Thank you in advance.

Really not sure what this means? Have you ever purchased anything major before?
There are dozens of factors that go into an offer, and much depends on how it is done.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The best way to ask these valuation questions is simply to request that recent buyers/sellers PM you with recent transaction data. Keeps the junk off the Forum and those who are inclined to share will send you info directly. It should be treated just like a properly curated “for sale” thread.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Me: I'm going to sneeze. Thank you in advance.

You: Gesundheit.

Me:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
With todays economy, is asking 10 percent off from asking price considered reasonable? ...

In today's economy it could be 10% over asking price! LOL

Ed

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark

Sellers often sell for different reasons - which always is a big factor when it comes to the final negotiation (some need to sell, some sell for a living, some are in a hurry etc.) .... and therefore similar quality cars may be priced quite differently for that reason alone. They may all start out asking similar price but rarely cars are equal quality so main thing for a buyer must be to figure out exactly how good is the car (PPI ) before considering to making a serious bid

:cheers
Anders

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Love that signature, Ed

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
eBay Ford GT's

Any knowledge of any of the Ford GT's on eBay? Good/Bad/Ugly? No bad mouthing please, just looking for a nice no stories car.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You're gonna have to get a PPI on any eBay car. In most cases you have to get it done before the auction closes.

Look at Barrett Jackson coming up. Lots of GTs there. Again, PPI needed but at least you can look at the car. Finding someone to do one on short notice might be an issue but some of the folks might be there (what, no Chip Beck pre-auction gathering?). If you can get a PPI done in time and can't get to Scottsdale you can bid on the phone.

Good luck.

On the other hand, patience is a virtue. If you're gnashing your teeth to do something tomorrow calm down.

PS. This could be easily moved to your other topic. Maybe the mods will do it.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Even if you buy from BJ there is no PPI available before you buy.Plus you don’t know the cars historyBut assuming low mileage does it matter?

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Seems reasonably priced for the mileage. Might be worth checking out. No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Ford-GT-GT40/323634201664