Paint around exhaust

Turn10 BigBoss

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 6, 2017
Seattle
Question for owners -
I wrapped my GT and have melted the wrap nicely at the exhaust. Now I am left with a decision. Remove the wrap from around the exhaust ports and leave the exposed paint or leave the wrap in place with the hope that it is still supplying some protection. Curious how those of you that have bare paint have faired? Any discoloration or blistering?

And yes I have gotten the car pretty hot, but not full race day hot.

Thanks!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My car is being wrapped now. I asked to not wrap the area around the exhaust. Chances of scratches & rock dings are minimal in that area. Heat bubbling of the wrap is for sure.

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This was noted by early owners and those areas were unwrapped. Most of us knew this and we did not have it wrapped.

Turn10 BigBoss

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 6, 2017
Seattle
This was noted by early owners and those areas were unwrapped. Most of us knew this and we did not have it wrapped.

Yep, heard that too... after I wrapped. Asking if anyone has seen any sign of paint degrading from the exhaust?

Thanks

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So far mine has been fine unwrapped. 13xx miles, and has been on track.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Mine has been wrapped with 2 layers from day 1. It has 9500 kms on her and a # of higher speed experiences. So far no bubbling what so ever. There has been some build up of exhaust carbon but comes off easily with the right cleaner. So far so good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 243
  • P_20181022_195118_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20181022_195118_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 244

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
mine is unwrapped in the center of the Rear fascia . NO Wrap near the exhaust.
4000 miles on the ODO.
--No track use, but 4 hours non stop at times on I-75 at over 90 mph.
--2 hours of idle at 4 mph in Atlanta at Rush hour
It does get HOT>.. the small metallic "GT" lettering in the center above the exhaust outlets is far too hot to touch.
NO BASE PAINT or Clearcoat issues so far. Liquid Blue/ white stripes
andy (ajb)

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
left that area not wrapped on mine...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was surprised xPel patterned that area of the car seeing how tight it was on the tips. I left it off and at 2800 miles with 1 track day and quite a bit of back country mountain driving there is nothing in the area. I can't really say with any certainty whether the 2017 model year cannon bezels are better or worse for this. I would take it off and wouldn't worry about it. I would (did) ceramic coat it to make getting any soot off it easy.

Most of us knew this and we did not have it wrapped.

Thanks Frank.

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
This is a very interesting topic as I've had the problem with Xpel film bubbling on other cars from the heat; especially from track and Autobahn use. What do we think is the cleanest way to protect, keep the film to the shape of the flat rearward facing surfaces and not bring it onto the paint pointing at the exhaust tips?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I am told the new X-pel template for that area at the shop I use (Motor City Solutions) does what you are stating.

Once I get my car back from Multimatic, I plan to have the rear fascia completed with the new template.
andy (ajb)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
... What do we think is the cleanest way to protect, keep the film to the shape of the flat rearward facing surfaces and not bring it onto the paint pointing at the exhaust tips?

I have seen the clear film bubble on the flat surface. The film was not rolled into the depression where the exhaust tips reside.

Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Whether or not it rolls into the edge, I personally recommend you do not do this area. I've seen cars (plural) roast the clear bra way outside the rolled edge, well on to the flat surface. I especially do not recommend European cars do this, as the actual muffler itself, not just the pre-2018 tips, is different to meet EU regs.

Prep it, ceramic coat it and be done with it.