Toy Haulers for 2005-2006 Ford GT or New Ford GT

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Guys, I've seen lots of discussion over the years about trailers for our toys, but what about a "toy hauler"? For those not familiar, that term describes a trailer that has both a sleeper function and a ramp and deck for a car, ATV, motorcycles, etc. Does anyone have experience or advice on this option instead of a dedicated car trailer?

TIA

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Pete,

Julie and I are in the thick of RV shopping. A toy hauler big enough to handle a car the size of the GT is going to be an expensive monster that will greatly limit where you can drive and park it. Think about how you actually intend to use it, consider the suitability for the locations you intend to visit, and pick the configuration that best suits your needs. I think you’ll arrive at the conclusion that a trailer is the only practical way to go.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Guys, I've seen lots of discussion over the years about trailers for our toys, but what about a "toy hauler"? For those not familiar, that term describes a trailer that has both a sleeper function and a ramp and deck for a car, ATV, motorcycles, etc. Does anyone have experience or advice on this option instead of a dedicated car trailer?

TIA

A toy hauler such as an RV are 40-44 feet in length. Like a Fusion or Voltage, some of the more popular models won’t work due the fact their garages are only 14 feet and weight limited.

There are however, 40-50 foot gooseneck trailers with living quarters in them that will work. You can find a number of these for sale on ;

www.racingjunk.com

These are very popular in the drag racing, dirt track, motorcycle communities. Pulling a 45-50 gooseneck can be cumbersome getting into parking lots and or gas stations...

Another option Is buy a Freightliner style RV with a stacker trailer and you can take your GT and even your daily driver or more toys.

Good luck!:thumbsup

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Toy haulers I've noticed in recent have been very high with the axle's under the frame so the inside walls can be wider with no fender wells inside the compartment. The drop ramp is very steep and will be trouble loading a low ground clearance vehicle. This would be a very expensive trial so please make sure first. Good luck and please post what you come up with. Two do fit upstair on this one but might be bigger than your thinking.

Attachments

• Totter 035.jpg
    Totter 035.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
We make annual cross country trips and along the way have seen many interesting rigs. Just to give you a different perspective, I set out to do the most with the least. Below is a picture of my rig. While not a toy hauler specifically, it has functioned superbly in the following uses: cross country car hauler, party bus, game day tailgater, camper, and soccer mom vehicle. It can fit in a regular parking space and is super easy to navigate on tight roads. We regularly get 18 mpg when it’s just hauling people and still averaged 14 mpg with the GT in tow across the Rockies! It has the 3.0 180hp diesel and has never ceased to amaze me. The tow rating is 6k lbs so a lightweight aluminum trailer is a must. My trailer weighs 1400lbs + GT and gear puts me right at the limit. Unless you plan on hauling your cars very often and camping at race tracks, you might consider other alternatives. While dedicated toy haulers are awesome rigs, they do limit themselves to that function.
9e6285499e9baa86971303a97b58b117.jpg

e6720d625fe84fc7f5a8ceebc83d3565.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ask the ultimate party animal toy hauler Big Inch Blake. Perhaps he will post some picas of his rig, the Indy 500.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
[video=youtube;c_pD1R8-jz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_pD1R8-jz0[/video]

I have been looking at these recently.18'6" garage and they will build to suit your needs.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Pete,

What do you intend to do with it? What are your needs? Do you intend to be on the road much of the time or just occasionally? Alone, a passenger, a family? Vacationing? Staying in RV parks? "Camping" at tracks?

A track rat friend is selling his motor coach that he used to pull a car trailer and downsizing with this trailer that he'll pull with a F-250.

Car and "apartment" in one trailer. No dedicated tow vehicle. A nice rig for "camping" at tracks for one or two people. Not a luxury lifestyle vehicle, but well suited for a particular need. Not a 5th wheel, so relatively easy to maneuver.

But, I don't think this would be called a "toy hauler," so maybe too minimalist for what you want.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Pete

As you see what are friends for ........ we will help you spend your money!!!

Definitely lots of options!!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Pete

As you see what are friends for ........ we will help you spend your money!!!

/QUOTE]
No kidding!!! There's a large RV dealer near me and I should start there and see/ask what's in the market.

I asked about toy haulers becuase I like the idea of a pickup truck as a tow vehicle, which I would use for lots of other things when not towing. Also, when on the road, I can park the trailer/toy hauler and just drive the pickup truck locally.

I'll go look around and update this thread at some point after I've done some more research. Thanks for the inputs so far.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Racing Junk will for sure be the best site to gather info. Sounds like you are considering just a regular trailer with living quarters in the front. Its a pretty common class of trailers.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Racing Junk will for sure be the best site to gather info. Sounds like you are considering just a regular trailer with living quarters in the front. Its a pretty common class of trailers.
That's what I have in mind.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Pete

Here’s a trailer with 18 foot garage.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Trailers...uminum&quickSearch=1&np_offset=69&from=search

Trailers are made in Oklahoma. Sundowner

Good luck

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Pete, after reading your posts I think your best unit would be a 3 axal fifth wheel trailer ( min. 40’) with lift to haul car and toys. Lift needs 20 feet leaving 20 feet for living quarters. Then you need a HD F-350/F-450 to pull it. Most times it is best to meet with a manufacturer and go over your opinions. My last trailer was designed around my needs. Side door placement and size is a big deal and needs a lot of planning. Have to buy through a dealer but they didn’t get involved until the unit was ordered, like the new GT process. This will let you take what you want to a location, unhook and have a truck for transportation. Elkhart IN is a one stop area for all things related to haulers and trailers.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Pete, after reading your posts I think your best unit would be a 3 axal fifth wheel trailer ( min. 40’) with lift to haul car and toys. Lift needs 20 feet leaving 20 feet for living quarters. Then you need a HD F-350/F-450 to pull it. Most times it is best to meet with a manufacturer and go over your opinions. My last trailer was designed around my needs. Side door placement and size is a big deal and needs a lot of planning. Have to buy through a dealer but they didn’t get involved until the unit was ordered, like the new GT process. This will let you take what you want to a location, unhook and have a truck for transportation. Elkhart IN is a one stop area for all things related to haulers and trailers.
Blake, thanks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does something like that require a CDL?

It sure should.

Tell me how there's any real physical diff between that layout and any given 18-24 wheeler!

There IS none. :wink

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Any tractor/trailer over 26k CGVWR requires a CDL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro