Fuel delivery issue/cut off at high RPM

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
Dear forum friends I was driving my 2006 GT and the closest gas station was a bit further away than anticipated. I did make it to the gas station but as I was pulling up the engine was close to stalling out as it was very low on fuel. Once I filled the gas tank the check engine light did come on this is when I realized if you accelerate hard the car will not go over 4,000 RPM. The car also feels like it's not getting enough fuel. I am not sure if maybe the fuel pump picked some debris up and the fuel filter is clogged. My GT has a little over 30,000 miles.

I took the car into my local Ford dealer and they checked out the code that the check engine light provided. They said the low fuel damaged two of the fuel modules. They think this will solve the issue the next item if this doesn't solve it would be replacing the fuel pump. The modules with labor will be around $1,600. Please chime in and let me know what you think is the issue and if the fuel module could have been damaged by the low fuel level. I am not sure if running low fuel could have damaged the module and the actual issue is something else thanks.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
That is a very interesting way to say the fuel modules are going out. I can tell you from experience on some of the cars we have seen at M2K Motorsports, that with the every aging of these cars the fuel modules are becoming an issue and we have had to replace a few that have caused issues on cars. I personally don't believe the running of the car on "low fuel" made the modules go out but would probably chalk it up to more of a coincidence than anything else. I would most definitely have the fuel pumps checked out to see if maybe you have a week pump or so since you are tracing down a problem on fuel delivery. The car should have thrown a code showing an issue with the fuel modules as well because that is what we normally see.

Not sure this helps much.

Thanks
Mark H.
M2K Motorsports, LLC

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think the Ford dealership is guessing on your dime. You're not far from us if you'd like a second opinion.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
subscribing

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
I like to thank everyone for replying. When the tech said if the moduels don’t fix the problem then we can look at the fuel pump something just didn’t feel right. I don’t want to replace parts that are good until we find the actual issue. A second opinion is surely needed. Please share your thoughts.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The relays are $12 (2 pcs); I would swap those out per link above to start... with

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like to thank everyone for replying. When the tech said if the moduels don’t fix the problem then we can look at the fuel pump something just didn’t feel right. I don’t want to replace parts that are good until we find the actual issue. A second opinion is surely needed. Please share your thoughts.

I had a memory of relay issues but couldn't remember the details. Kayvan's reply #5 outlines the details. I would swap the fuel pump relays. They're cheap and if they work it's a simple fix!!!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I recently had the drivers, relays and pumps changed by Heffner.
TT car would not accelerate above 3000 RPM.
As Mark stated, all these components are starting to age.
Hope that you resolve your issue soon.
Suggest you leave the diagnosis and repair to people who know this vehicle.
M

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I couldn't get my car above 3,000 RPM, Rich suggested changing the spark plugs, problem solved! Car runs like a champ!!

Tomcat

GT Owner
I couldn't get my car above 3,000 RPM, Rich suggested changing the spark plugs, problem solved! Car runs like a champ!!
How many miles were on your plugs?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
About 12,000, but they weren't the correct plugs to use, with the pulley and the tune, they were all screwed up!!!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
PashaGT, do yourself a favor and go see Kendall (nota4re), you’ll be treated like one of family and the service is superlative.

PashaGT

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2016
Orange County
I will definitely go see Kendall. The dealer didn’t seem 80% sure they changing the fuel modules will solve the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcat

GT Owner
About 12,000, but they weren't the correct plugs to use, with the pulley and the tune, they were all screwed up!!!
GTGuys (Rich) did my pulley/tune...so plugs are in sync.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
GTGuys (Rich) did my pulley/tune...so plugs are in sync.

Yup, they did mine also and no problems.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
They did mine, the plugs were the original plugs, didn't have a problem, the first couple of years, after they put on the pulley/tune. When the car would break up, over 3,500RPM, I spoke with Rich, he sent me the correct new plugs, and voila, problem solved. Car pulls all the way up to redline, no problem!!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have been discussing with Pasha. Error code is coming from one of the fuel modules. Condition started with running the car completely empty on fuel. In this scenario, fuel pump will have no resistance and rpm will spike and no coolant (fuel). In the best scenario, it is a blown fuse. The more likely scenario is that he has lost one of the pumps. I disagree with dealer that fuel module(s) are first suspect. We can test fuel pump motors at fuel modules to make final determination. Changing fuel pumps in the GT is NO pleasure. It has to be done from within the car - and talk about ship in a bottle with respect to the room you have to work! Better suited to Ryan's skills! LOL

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Agree with your assessment of changing the pumps.
But some folks have an alacrity for doing it.
Best,
Mark