Lamborghini vertical door kits? Who's is best

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
Hi Guys Rich at The Mustang Ranch here in Golden, Colorado. It's been a long time since I have posted. But I just knew all it would take to ask all of the knowledgeable friendly GT guys could answer this one for me. I am wanting to know who by now how many and who has the best vertical door kit? Best regards

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For the GT??? There's only one. It's an engineering marvel. That said, I think anyone considering it should see/operate it in person before making a decision.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
For the GT??? There's only one. It's an engineering marvel.

This worked to get me to click on your website to see "the one", but I don't! Please do tell?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've never sold the butterfly door conversion. Personally was never a fan after I saw/experienced it in person. Not even sure it's available any longer. My answer to the op was that there was only ever one kit for the GT and that kit had a Version 2 pretty early in its lifecycle. But it's not like there's more than one manufacturer.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bernard Guerin (I think) in Florida is the only option. You will need an installer, the GTGuy in Michigan.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I'd steer clear of this mod. I know some of our members have these and like them but after using these on one of Ray's GT's I'm not a fan and he told me he wasn't that hot on it after a while either.

Chip

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Installed on a French Ford GT, by GT101 (UK), member of the Forum.

GT 01-2.jpg

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
This was again a Guerin kit. It's a fairly significant task to install and set-up correctly. Bernard Guerin was extremely helpful during the process. You can see the kits on his website http://www.guerin-design.com/products.html

We did this installation for a customer who lived in Paris and consequently had major parking challenges. This does make it a lot easier to get into the car when closely parked. Having said that the door closure action is quite different and you do need to adjust the way you use and move the door. It's a big door and flexes more than you'd think. If you need or want this type of door then this kit is certainly well engineered and as far as I know the only Ford GT specific kit out there.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
By Flexing, you mean the Guerin hinge system and not the door, correct?

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I’ve always thought about this mod and even talked to Shelby about putting them on my car. I never did but would like to hear from guys with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I love mine... makes it very easy to get in and out in tight spaces.

670F788A-80A1-4683-9E5A-7270D0263CCA.jpg

3FD07142-EF8B-4B7F-A33E-13125238CAA5.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I love mine... makes it very easy to get in and out in tight spaces.

Can you imagine what issues some might have experienced to say otherwise?

I get we all make compromises to achieve certain goals. Some are happy they made those compromises and some have regrets.

For example, I wanted big horsepower in my boat. As a result, I break outdrives. Many I know would Never put up with that but I would never detune, it's worth it for me.

I am hypothesizing the Guerin door might be similar to that?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I am hypothesizing the Guerin door might be similar to that?

I don't think it's quite the same - in your example you know something is going to break/wear out as a result of a desired modification. With the vertical doors it works just fine - you just need to alter the way you use or treat the door as you close it.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah, my example was extreme, but I was using it to explain a point of view.

So what happens if you don't alter the way you treat the door? Does the hinge bind up? Does the door miss the target and bang into the body?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It is more to do with the action of the door, vs function. The opening of the door becomes a 2 step process. The door opens, it then swings out a few inches, stops (clearing the horizontally designed door striker). Then you have to propel the door in a completely different direction, up. It is easy to propel the door out, or down with the force you think is necessary to open / close the door with a single action. I have heard, this extra force, can tweak the alignment if done too hard. Its not like "normal" gull wing / vertical doors, including the NGT where its a single motion to open and close.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^ Thanks, that is great information.

I have wanted these for years but the cost of reversing in case it was a disappointment has held me back.