More specific questions to GT experts on searching of FGT

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Hi Guys,

Sorry for opening up a new thread but I wanted to absorb as much information from the forum's GT experts.

I have a lot of questions that may sound stupid to most of you guys but I hope some of you guys can help me out as I am very very new with FGT.

Just to start off why I want to get FGT. It came out when I was in senior year of high school. Drooled on it watching videos from top gear reviewing this car. And, 13 years later, I can now afford it (barely :))

1) Year wise
Are there any differences in 2005 or 2006 cars. If there is or isn't, is there any premium associated with one year or another?

2) How original should it be?
a) Are any changes to exhaust acceptable? Some cars I heard has "Ford Racing Exhaust".
b) I have seen some cars with aluminum buttons on the seat instead of factory black. Is this something that can be easily reversed? What if the car doesn't have original black buttons? Can I still purchase OEM parts?
c) Are there any modifications that are irreversible or something that should be alarming to me?
d) How critical does it affect value of the car not to have original 2 sets of keys, car cover, bag and owner's manual?

3) What's the sweet spot between mileage and price?
I am OCD enough to not able to tolerate cars with high mileage yet not rich enough to buy brand new cars going in mid 300k region. Thus, I am looking for a good condition car with price around 250k. I am generally looking into cars <5k of mileage. Is it realistic to find a car around 250k under 5k miles? (with no mechanical modifications?)

4) Colors
I like silver and blue but honestly any color works for me. Do certain colors command premium? (I heard yellow and silver do)
Do no stripes on top prefer premium over stripes?

5) I am Canadian from Toronto Area
Do you guys have any GT experienced PPI person you can recommend?
Also, has anyone done importing from US to Canada. How much of a headache is it?

6) Dealer vs. Private Party vs. Auction
Seems like a lot of fine cars are coming out in auction. As a first time FGT buyer, do you recommend buying it from a dealer? prvt party? or auction house (ex. mecum or sotheby's)

Thank you for you guys' time. I really appreciate it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No real difference between 05 and 06. Early 05s had a few differences. Speedy sleeves for main seal leaks, grills on 05,s, billet a arms on 05s, clam shell clips on early 05s. Early cars did not have exactly the same fit as the later 05s and 06s. Color doesn't make any real difference except for heritage. That will be premium pricing. No stripe cars are rarer but don't really command a premium. Since they are rarer and you have your heart set on one. You may pay more. Just remember the car was $5k less on the sticker when new. Tasteful mods would included a shirt throw shifter, transmission cooler, different exhaust. Original Ford performance parts are hard to find now and are usually associated with high prices for OEM nos. Borland continues to make systems just not labeled as Ford. Many other x pipe versions are available from several vendors. Beware of drone at 2k rpm. Aftermarket twin turbos or whipples are also common. Depends on how much power you want. Make sure the tune is good. Bridgestone tires are more the norm these days. Other wheel and tire combos are out there. For some reason, Canadian version cars don't seem to sell for as much as us versions. All the gauges are suspect to failure Suspected battery/ground issues. Make sure axle half-shaft bolts have been replaced. Silver is the rarest color. Yellow is next. Again, the color doesn't make that much of a difference. Red is the most common color. There aren't that many high mileage cars out there because they belong to us the drivers. Cars with over 30k miles or more are not that common. You can save a lot of time by using the search button to look all this info up. Since you are around Toronto, Rich Brooks the GT Guy is probably the best choice for ppi work.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Frank you forgot one important fact....red is the fastest color!

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
The big decision you need to make is whether you want a totally stock car or a modified car. I would guess that probably north of 75% of owners on this forum have modded their cars. That's a personal decision for you to make. As stated, mileage is the biggest factor driving the price. Pick the color that you like, not just because a blue car is rarer than a red car will matter down the road. How many owners has it had? I saw a 150 mile car that had 6 owners a couple years back. A one owner car to me would be very desirable because I assume it was properly maintained. A 10K-15K mile car should be in the $250K price range. Canadian cars are worth roughly 85% of USA cars on the auction market. Silver seat inserts were an aftermarket product called "Hot Buttons", I believe.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Seats, the silver buttons are an optional 3rd party add on, that can be removed. Black plastic is the stock OEM

http://www.exoticare.ca/fordgt/

As I had suggested in your other thread, dont write off a car because of miles. We have many examples of high mileage cars, on this forum, that are PERFECT examples. These cars are very durable, and age well, with minimal needs (no crazy "belt" services for instance).

Generally stripe vs no stripe does not impact price much with black being the exception (there has traditionally been a premium for black no stripe).

Hone in on what is right for you, and then start your search. As for where to buy, I personally would look private sale, then dealer. I personally would steer clear of auctions, unless you are able to get a proper PPI in advance. There are 3 recommended PPI sources that have been laid out for you in other threads. These guys really know these cars, and what to look for. Who you choose will likely depend on where the car is, and the individuals availability. They are in AZ, CA and MI.

Last edited:

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
The big decision you need to make is whether you want a totally stock car or a modified car. I would guess that probably north of 75% of owners on this forum have modded their cars. That's a personal decision for you to make. As stated, mileage is the biggest factor driving the price. Pick the color that you like, not just because a blue car is rarer than a red car will matter down the road. How many owners has it had? I saw a 150 mile car that had 6 owners a couple years back. A one owner car to me would be very desirable because I assume it was properly maintained. A 10K-15K mile car should be in the $250K price range. Canadian cars are worth roughly 85% of USA cars on the auction market. Silver seat inserts were an aftermarket product called "Hot Buttons", I believe.

By Canadian cars, do you mean cars that were sent to Canada originally? or Cars that are currently in Canada (but made for US market?)
I heard the only difference b/t Canadian and US car is the speedometer and the size of rear bumper

Seats, the silver buttons are an optional 3rd party add on, that can be removed. Black plastic is the stock OEM

http://www.exoticare.ca/fordgt/

As I had suggested in your other thread, dont write off a car because of miles. We have many examples of high mileage cars, on this forum, that are PERFECT examples. These cars are very durable, and age well, with minimal needs (no crazy "belt" services for instance).

Generally stripe vs no stripe does not impact price much with black being the exception (there has traditionally been a premium for black no stripe).

Hone in on what is right for you, and then start your search. As for where to buy, I personally would look private sale, then dealer. I personally would steer clear of auctions, unless you are able to get a proper PPI in advance. There are 3 recommended PPI sources that have been laid out for you in other threads. These guys really know these cars, and what to look for. Who you choose will likely depend on where the car is, and the individuals availability. They are in AZ, CA and MI.

Thank you for your answer. So it's condition first, then mileage. Colors don't really matter unless it's heritage.

To fjpikul, I will definitely check out the PPI guy you recommended. Thank you.

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Most mods are reversible. One that comes to mind that is not easy to reverse is the bumper delete

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bumper delete IS easy to reverse as long as owner has retained the OEM parts. Probably a 4 hour or less job to reverse.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I remember there being a bumper delete option where you cut the frame horns. That is what I think he is referring to about not easily reversed.

Fasferrari

Sep 1, 2017
Avon, CT
The call.

No real difference between 05 and 06. Early 05s had a few differences. Speedy sleeves for main seal leaks, grills on 05,s, billet a arms on 05s, clam shell clips on early 05s. Early cars did not have exactly the same fit as the later 05s and 06s. Color doesn't make any real difference except for heritage. That will be premium pricing. No stripe cars are rarer but don't really command a premium. Since they are rarer and you have your heart set on one. You may pay more. Just remember the car was $5k less on the sticker when new. Tasteful mods would included a shirt throw shifter, transmission cooler, different exhaust. Original Ford performance parts are hard to find now and are usually associated with high prices for OEM nos. Borland continues to make systems just not labeled as Ford. Many other x pipe versions are available from several vendors. Beware of drone at 2k rpm. Aftermarket twin turbos or whipples are also common. Depends on how much power you want. Make sure the tune is good. Bridgestone tires are more the norm these days. Other wheel and tire combos are out there. For some reason, Canadian version cars don't seem to sell for as much as us versions. All the gauges are suspect to failure Suspected battery/ground issues. Make sure axle half-shaft bolts have been replaced. Silver is the rarest color. Yellow is next. Again, the color doesn't make that much of a difference. Red is the most common color. There aren't that many high mileage cars out there because they belong to us the drivers. Cars with over 30k miles or more are not that common. You can save a lot of time by using the search button to look all this info up. Since you are around Toronto, Rich Brooks the GT Guy is probably the best choice for ppi work.

At 12:30pm today, Monday I0/29/18 i received a call from Ford about my. GT order.
My ordering kit is being mailed to me and I will have it for the weekend. It has been a two year wait
I will be getting a 2019 Ford in the spring.
If any recent owners have any advise about the ordering my Ford GT, I would appreciate receiving a response
to this email.
Thank you.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
At 12:30pm today, Monday I0/29/18 i received a call from Ford about my GT order.
My ordering kit is being mailed to me and I will have it for the weekend. It has been a two year wait
I will be getting a 2019 Ford in the spring.
If any recent owners have any advise about the ordering my Ford GT, I would appreciate receiving a response to this email.
Thank you.

Fasferrari - you are posting on the wrong thread & the wrong topic section. Go to "2017+ Ford GT" topic. Congratulations.

Ed

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Just received a replacement Borla muffler that has the "Ford Racing" logo. They probably sent out what they had in stock for earlier warranty claims. 6 weeks to make mine and I referenced the Ford Racing part number.
The original was bought through a Ford Racing vendor.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Canadian GT cars have different gauges with symbols, no Mac stereo, added reinforcement in front and rear bumpers. Door and engine decals are different. Might be something else but cant think of it right now.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
DRLs

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Optional wheels were standard

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Yes, as Kendall has pointed out DRLs, driving lights.