Noob here. What are the things to look for when buying a GT?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Hello gents,

I am a new member here. Joined while I was searching/hunting for a Ford GT. I have a car on my mind. With McIntosh upgrade (is this a good thing? Personally, I thought the idea of having a huge speaker b/t 2 seats look very ricey) and around 3500 miles on the clock.

What would be a fair value to purchase a car like this?

Also, what are the things I should look into when buying a GT?

1) Is there options that are must?

2) Anything I should remind to a PPI guy?

Thank you.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
A fully optioned car is always preferred but would not bypass car if PPI results are good with fair price. Refer to my PPI list just posted and I have noted the expensive items like clutch replacement and others. Pricing is tough but after my 6 months of looking I was able to zero in on fair market pricing. Have not followed current values. Review current asking prices on ebay, Elite Autos LLC, and recent auction results.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The biggest factor in pricing, is miles; followed by color.

<5000
<10,000
<15,000

Are major subsets.

Next, figure out what color you want; solid (stripe delete cars are a premium).

Condition is biggest decider. Some guys take immaculate care of their cars and leather smells like new.

Others use them and you will see worn seats; interior scuffs and duller paint/aged stripes.

Key is really seeing car in person and making judgement.

Ask the PPI guy how many FORD GTs he has reviewed. General exotic experience (lambos, F cars, Porsch; PDK, e-Gears ) is not really transferrable v. GT where major subsystems (transaxle, clutch, suspension) expertise is important.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If YOU have to remind a PPI guy of anything he/she should look out for, then you do not have the right PPI guy.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It would be much easier if you said what you're looking for, condition and location.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ that is very true. There are some VERY subtle details that can only be really checked and verified by someone that KNOWS. Use this site for the best qualified PPI guys.

As for options, there are only 4. Stripes, Im a no stripe guy, but what ever you are looking for. Wheels which can be fixed if you find the right car and its not the wheel you are looking for. Caliper paint, not a big deal. Stereo, a car with out the Mac would actually be better for me (I actually did a sub relocation, to move the between shoulders subwoofer.

These cars are very durable, dont be scared of the miles, if you find the right condition car.

Welcome to the forum

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If YOU have to remind a PPI guy of anything he/she should look out for, then you do not have the right PPI guy.

Was going to say the same thing!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
It would be much easier if you said what you're looking for, condition and location.

I am basically looking to use it as weekend driver. Maybe 2000 miles per year ish. Plan to keep it for few years and would rather not get hit with too much depreciation.

^^^ that is very true. There are some VERY subtle details that can only be really checked and verified by someone that KNOWS. Use this site for the best qualified PPI guys.

As for options, there are only 4. Stripes, Im a no stripe guy, but what ever you are looking for. Wheels which can be fixed if you find the right car and its not the wheel you are looking for. Caliper paint, not a big deal. Stereo, a car with out the Mac would actually be better for me (I actually did a sub relocation, to move the between shoulders subwoofer.

These cars are very durable, dont be scared of the miles, if you find the right condition car.

Welcome to the forum

What I am looking at is a stripeless car. Only problem is that the car has mcintosh stereo which is quite ugly imo.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Non Mac equipped cars are rare. Have no idea if the center pocket is still available from Ford any longer, but if it is, you can relocate the woofer. A search here will yield some threads on the topic.

Do not let any of the options be a make or break for the right car (with the exception of over the top stripes)

Only problem is that the car has mcintosh stereo which is quite ugly imo.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What color? Mac delete cars are very rare. What wheels. You need to give us an idea just exactly what you want. We don't care how you will use it or how long you keep it.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I bet you can still get the reproduced black leather center pocket panel and sub enclosure for behind the seat from Rich Brooks (TheGTGuy). That is where I got my Mac relocation kit. Or else probably Shelby at Eliteautosllc.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
A fully optioned car is always preferred but would not bypass car if PPI results are good with fair price. Refer to my PPI list just posted and I have noted the expensive items like clutch replacement and others. Pricing is tough but after my 6 months of looking I was able to zero in on fair market pricing. Have not followed current values. Review current asking prices on ebay, Elite Autos LLC, and recent auction results.

Hello sir, thank you for sharing your PPI list. For market place, how would I search recent auction prices or past ebay sales?

The biggest factor in pricing, is miles; followed by color.

<5000
<10,000
<15,000

Are major subsets.

Next, figure out what color you want; solid (stripe delete cars are a premium).

Condition is biggest decider. Some guys take immaculate care of their cars and leather smells like new.

Others use them and you will see worn seats; in
terior scuffs and duller paint/aged stripes.

Key is really seeing car in person and making judgement.

Ask the PPI guy how many FORD GTs he has reviewed. General exotic experience (lambos, F cars, Porsch; PDK, e-Gears ) is not really transferrable v. GT where major subsystems (transaxle, clutch, suspension) expertise is important.

I will have to look for a reputable PPI guy then. What colors are of premium? I don't mind any colors but my favorite is White with blue stripes or Silver

I agree. Foolish of me to think of teaching PPI guy

What color? Mac delete cars are very rare. What wheels. You need to give us an idea just exactly what you want. We don't care how you will use it or how long you keep it.

Color doesn't matter. Preferably BBS wheel.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
As in life and Women; the more money you have the more picky you can be:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/2628-Spreadsheet-of-production-for-each-color

Heritage, Yellow, Silver are rare; Tungsten (metallic grey) is not.

Key is to actually pick a GT.

Dozens of threads like this; and poster forgets to actually pull trigger.

Good luck

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/2628-Spreadsheet-of-production-for-each-color

Good luck

your the pickiest guy I know K1 :)

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018

Good luck

Yep. I'm actually quite serious in pulling trigger. GT has been my dream car ever since I was in high school.

I want to keep my budget under 280k USD. Mileage is lower the better. I am in Canada so preferably Canadian car but Ford Cars are duty free to import into Canada anyways so cars in US is definitely not a deal breaker.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the only thing you really should be worried about is a car with a nasty story... find the one you like in the color you want and with a 280k budget you should not have any trouble finding a nice car with less than 5000 miles on it, if you want a piece of mind use one of the dealers on this site there are some here that only deal with "good" cars.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Practically in the wrapper 4 option car listed today on the forum.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/35391-2005-Ford-GT-500-Miles-For-Sale