Airbag Recall

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
IMG_2997.jpgIMG_2996.jpgThese are photographs of the passenger and driver side airbag units after the new inflators were installed. Do these appear to be the final inflators for the recall? I would like to know before I put everything back together.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I had my passenger done last week at my house. Tech had never been inside a GT before but with info from wmjim i was aware of the procedure. Not a big deal but was able to change with just 1/2 the lower dash loosened. Passenger side unit looks like right unit if actuator was replaced.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1 got the 05 (and a S197 mustang) done last week (at my shop), FINALLY the postcards, phone calls, and letters can STOP.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
AJK, you look good to go. I was so excited the day I finally had them replaced in the GT. No more notices! When I got home, I had another notice in the mail for one of my Mustangs. :lol

7992299A-9BCC-49E7-BA47-8054EA8E70A6.jpg

687CAD05-1DC6-4CCF-A73D-B0F36BACE0BD.jpg

500A55B4-BD95-47C1-A754-580C70A6F9CF.jpg

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Mine had no rust at all on the outside and looked just like the one they replaced it with

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My replacement canister. Perhaps different vendors.

8AADECF4-1943-44C7-BD29-F0E7AAA61C4B.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Mine was rusty

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I talked the dealer into doing both, when they came to me for the GT.

When I got home, I had another notice in the mail for one of my Mustangs.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
+1 got the 05 (and a S197 mustang) done last week (at my shop), FINALLY the postcards, phone calls, and letters can STOP.

Dealer sent a tech to your house for the swap? That's what me and and a few others would like to have happen, too.

Thanks.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Finally got passenger side done yesterday at local dealership. No issues.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes, in the wording of the recall, there are provisions for the dealer to be approved to dispatch a tech to your site (exclusive for the GT, not offerend on Mustangs). Cant remember if there are distance limitations or anything else.

Dealer sent a tech to your house for the swap? That's what me and and a few others would like to have happen, too.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Yes, in the wording of the recall, there are provisions for the dealer to be approved to dispatch a tech to your site (exclusive for the GT, not offerend on Mustangs). Cant remember if there are distance limitations or anything else.

Thank you sir. Most appreciated.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Video of the air bag replacement on a Mustang. The parts are identical to the Ford GT. The interesting part is the design changes made and the removal process on the passenger side.

Driver:

[video]https://youtu.be/NggRA_ebknE[/video]

Passenger:

[video]https://youtu.be/jYMSkWX9dRc[/video]

Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Great info...thanks for posting. Just got mine done at Folsom Lake Ford and they did an exceptional job.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Today I got a certified letter from Ford reminding me to the recalls done.

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
Today I got a certified letter from Ford reminding me to the recalls done.

+1

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I got the GT done, but it seems like they just started coming for my Mustang recently. I must have missed them previously, or just assumed they were for the GT.

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Looking at the first picture in post 4 looks like a great way to damage the lower dashboard.
Just unclip the PS and pull it back for access instead of removing it.
Hopefully it all goes well tomorrow.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Looking at the first picture in post 4 looks like a great way to damage the lower dashboard.
Just unclip the PS and pull it back for access instead of removing it.
Hopefully it all goes well tomorrow.

If you pull back just a little too far, you are going to crease your lower dash panel. I watched mine being done and can't see how it can be done with just the passenger side pulled back.